Reminder:
"Experimental" versions are available on the forum.
The goal of this change is that you can test and comment on new features while they are being built.
So it's your turn to play now, and report bugs and usability suggestions ;).

The installer is available here: Link removed. -> 0.8.5 thread.

This is an experimental version in the true sense of the word.

1 - First there is the new "superposition" feature that I need you to experiment. Let me know what you think. (see snapshot)

2 - Second, while fixing a bug on synchronization, I completely changed the way the "dynamic synchronization" is done under the hood.
(dynamic sync = when you hit the common "Play" button).
I need you to test it as much as you can and report if there are any regressions.

3 - Third, I enabled the view of images files in the explorer. Feedback on this goes in this thread.

- In addition to that, you can now set the origin of the coordinate system for Paths, from their configuration window.
This can be useful if you export them to spreadsheets and work with the data afterwards.

Quick snapshot - Superposition of images during synchronization:

http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/superposition.jpg

It is looking good and working well on Windows 7 now.

Is there (or will there be) a way to align the superimposed images?

Thanks for the great work
Trevor

Well, I should add that this is not supposed to be the "ultimate" superposition tool.
There also are plans for a longer term feature that would really blend seamlessly and only import the moving person from one video on the other.

For this "quick and dirty" superposition, I wanted to get it out in the simplest way possible, and then read what you all think are the most important limitations. (alignment, scale / zoom, image aspect ratio, etc.)
So, I take note of your comment smile.

joan wrote:

There also are plans for a longer term feature that would really blend seamlessly and only import the moving person from one video on the other

That sounds impressive:)

5 (edited by Slavy Elenkov 2009-12-06 12:11:23)

reposting for accuracy

Hi Joan,

I've been using this program for a long time, but this is my first post here.  This is a great program! I use this program as an animator, and this helps me communicate my thoughts to other animators -- it's a wonderful tool.

I'd like to make a suggestion, or possibly point out a bug.

Kinovea has been running well, but after installing this experimental version of the player, drag and dropping video files will no longer load the file in Kinovea.  (This method worked in Kinovea 0.7.1)

Instead, the video browser is the active plane on startup.  (The file browser on the side is not visible, either.)  I can load a new video playback screen from here, or drag my file into kinovea and it loads normally.

This problem also happens if I were to double-click a video, or right-click a video, and choose to 'Open In... Kinovea.''  Kinovea does load, but the video browser is the only thing that loads up, not the video I clicked on.

Is this behavior normal? (In other words, is the only way to open a particular video by exploring through the kinovea file browser?) It would be great to have the option of what Kinoeva shows on startup -- if it will play the video immediately, or bring you to the file browser.

(btw,  I'm running a pc with windows xp, 64-bit; I am NOT an administrator.)

Hi,

blaine_t wrote:

Kinovea has been running well, but after installing this experimental version of the player, drag and dropping video files will no longer load the file in Kinovea.  (This method worked in Kinovea 0.7.1)

Hmm, I can still drag files from the Windows explorer into the thumbnails pane, or into an already loaded screen.
I can also drag a file from Kinovea's file explorer tab (or from the shortcuts tab) into the thumbnails pane or into an already loaded screen (full or empty).
It works for me with either the thumbnail view turned on or off.
So we'll have to find what is specific about your context.

blaine_t wrote:

Instead, the video browser is the active plane on startup.  (The file browser on the side is not visible, either.)  I can load a new video playback screen from here, or drag my file into kinovea and it loads normally.

One thing that changed is that the position of the file explorer panel is now saved between launches.
If you make it appear again, it should stay visible.

blaine_t wrote:

This problem also happens if I were to double-click a video, or right-click a video, and choose to 'Open In... Kinovea.''  Kinovea does load, but the video browser is the only thing that loads up, not the video I clicked on.

Yes, this is known not to work. I'm still not sure about what is needed to make it work though.

joan wrote:

Hmm, I can still drag files from the Windows explorer into the thumbnails pane, or into an already loaded screen.
I can also drag a file from Kinovea's file explorer tab (or from the shortcuts tab) into the thumbnails pane or into an already loaded screen (full or empty).
It works for me with either the thumbnail view turned on or off.
So we'll have to find what is specific about your context.

Sorry I wasn't more clear about this situation.  In this case, when I drag an icon for a video file in windows explorer, and drop it onto the kinovea shortcut on the desktop, the video explorer plane is what is displayed upon kinovea starting.  Dragging and dropping videos into this plane is working fine after this point. (Essentially requiring two drag and drops of a video file in order to view it.)

joan wrote:

One thing that changed is that the position of the file explorer panel is now saved between launches.
If you make it appear again, it should stay visible.

This position wasn't being set properly before, but it appears to be working in the way you describe now.  I'm not sure what has changed to cause this.

Thanks for your replies Joan!  I hope what I've added makes sense. :~)

Hi Joan,

- I seem to be able to export into video file, and although i have exported a video, an error message still pops up which says i was unable to export. Even though the message popped, i still keep the video file.
- I cannot export overlay video into a video file. i have trouble even exporting images of overlay videos to make into a video file. when i try, i usually export one of them while the other one stays frozen at one image on the background. any tips? thanks ;o)

-Slavy

Slavy Elenkov wrote:

Hi Joan,
- I seem to be able to export into video file, and although i have exported a video, an error message still pops up which says i was unable to export. Even though the message popped, i still keep the video file.

Hi,
Yes, I have experienced this behavior too. An error message box pops up, but the file is still playable.
I added an entry in the bug tracker about this. I'll have to investigate.

Slavy Elenkov wrote:

- I cannot export overlay video into a video file. i have trouble even exporting images of overlay videos to make into a video file. when i try, i usually export one of them while the other one stays frozen at one image on the background. any tips? thanks ;o)

Are you using the "Save a sequence of images" function ?
I confess I haven't tried it in combination with the overlay function. But what you describe is expectable considering the way it's programmed. Same for the video export. (None of these functions really know about the other screen.)

Currently I would still consider this overlay function only as a convenient help in finding the synchronization point and maybe a quick comparison tool, but not much more.
It will probably be improved in the future to make it more usable (aligning images, etc) but the true overlay function will be implemented totally differently.

blaine_t wrote:

When I drag an icon for a video file in windows explorer, and drop it onto the kinovea shortcut on the desktop, the video explorer plane is what is displayed upon kinovea starting.

I just corrected this specific issue, it will be available in the next release. Not before end of january though.
Thanks.

I'm a tenpin bowling coach and finding this tool amazing for analysing peoples approach and delivery.
The superposition tool was one from the previous version I was looking for as it appears in some other video analysis tools, especially one specifically for tenpin bowling called bowlers map.
You have already mentioned some enhancements planned for superposition that I was going to suggest, i.e. only showing one screen with the two videos super imposed. One additional one I would like would be a slider to control which video is the most clear 0% to 100%.

the superposition is an amazing feature!... I wrote you an email... can you answer, please?... (the email address i found on your profile here on the forum...)

Thanks for this great video tool for athletes!...

Be realistic: demand the impossible!...