TeamTermin wrote:

I used a Sony video camera attached via a fire-wire connection.  During capture, the screen flickered again, like I had mentioned to you before in a previous post.  Play back of the files after capture looked good and played back smoothly.  The screen flicker during live capture does not seem to affect the capture quality.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the report.

Currently I do not have access to a Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer, my main machine is under Windows XP and I don't plan to change in the coming months.
Unfortunately, Firewire connexion doesn't work under emulated operating system, so basically, I cannot test.

People, this is a call for contributors, if you have Windows 7 (or Vista) and a DV Camcorder, and you're not afraid of C# programming, you can help (check the wiki here for starters).

32 (edited by joan 2010-10-11 17:22:58)

joan wrote:

Another completely different approach would be to use an on-disk buffer. In this case the frames would be temporarily stored on the hard drive instead of in memory.
This would allow for virtually unlimited delay (minutes, hours, depending only on hard drive space), but I'm not too sure of the complexity added by this approach in terms of architecture and obviously the loss in performance.

Hi Joan,

Thanks for incorporating the ability to capture. I've been testing on an XP machine with a logitech QuickCam pro 4000. I've been capturing at 320x240 (30fps) and here hasn't been any problems so far.

Re: live delay with a on-disk buffer, I have used a program which includes this feature. I'm not sure this is any help, but it appears to use Microsoft's .NET Framework 1.11

http://www.sportswatch.nl/swimwatch/en/ … delay.html

Cheers,
Jon

[edit joan: changed link to point to public page on sportswatch site]

Hello,
Thanks for the pointer, I didn't know this software. I'll try the demo version.

However, as of now the Capture feature has been architectured around the other approach: an in-memory buffer that will cache frames.
From the coding perspective with such a buffer, displaying the frame from 5 seconds ago is about as easy as displaying the most recent one. We just retrieve from a different spot in the buffer.

I think that for the targeted applications (self-coaching and continuous feedback for a rotating group of students), a delay of a about 15-20 seconds would be enough (?). The athlete performs, and then come by the laptop to watch back.

For sports that takes longer attempts, or when it takes too much time to come by the computer (swimming pool comes to mind), then maybe recording and watching the recorded video will be a better approach.
For example it's possible to set the workspace to "One capture screen and one playback screen". Then you can drag the recorded files to the playback screen to watch it back, while the other screen is recording the next person.
Any feedback on this use case is welcome too, it may be be heavy on computer resources.

Joan:

Did some live capture today via firewire and tried two different camcorders.  Sony TRV 950 DV camcorder and a Sony HDR-HC9 HD camcorder. 
Using Windows Vista.

Screen flicker during capture is gone!!!

TeamTermin wrote:

Screen flicker during capture is gone!!!

Great smile
However as noted in the 0.8.11 thread, there is a high chance that the final video created is not properly timed. (It will go too fast relatively to real time).

Joan Wrote:
However as noted in the 0.8.11 thread, there is a high chance that the final video created is not properly timed. (It will go too fast relatively to real time).

Yes...I do now remember that from the other thread, and thanks for reminding me.  For now, if it is playing faster than real time, would you know the percentage below 100% I could use that would make the video play at real time?  (Kind of a correction factor?)

It's dependant on the CPU load so it's not linear and can't be corrected manually like this. Sometimes the problem is not there, e.g. if the image size is small, the machine powerful and the capture frame rate low.

The issue is that the rate at which images are grabbed is estimated and used as frame rate for the final video.
However, when the recording starts, the CPU is more heavily used and images come less frequently to the program.
What is needed is to completely decouple the recording from the frame grabbing.

Hi, is there a way to change the resolution of the capture? I only get 640x480 with my Logitech Webcam 9000 Pro which supports up to 720p.

About framerate / size configuration.

I have just looked at this today, it should be available in the next experimental version.

What happened before is that we took the first item in the list of the camera capabilities.
Now the biggest frame size will be selected by default, but you should also be able to change to another setting in the source configuration dialog.

Tested ok with a webcam (snapshot below). For the DV camcorder, the frame size change did not translate down to the device… to be investigated later (DV should always be 720x576 anyway, I was surprised to find an other option).

http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/captureconf.png

I heard you mention earlier the possibility to connect to an IP camera. Is this still possible/feasible within the system?

The goal now is to pack up the capture screen until it works well enough, and then publish a stable version.
Ideally the version 0.8.14 would be the last round of changes and then 0.8.15 can be the official version. (With translations and manual updates).

So here's a list of improvements that have been suggested or scheduled for the capture screen, please add yours if it's not listed.
Very big changes will probably not make it this round, but be pushed to future versions.

1 - A "file format" drop down list directly on the capture screen to select the file format for snapshot/recording (or only changeable in the preferences ?).
2 - A "file format" drop down in the preferences to set the default format. (or we could just save the last one used ?).
(Note: probably only one of the previous two will be integrated)

Naming and directories
3 - Save the last filename used so the auto-increment works across screens and restarts.
4 - Preference page with advanced naming conventions, with formatting tags for date and auto increment.
5 - Move the settings for "directory of recording" to the preference page ?

Misc
6 - Access to the device configuration from right click on the main image.
7 - Display the current resolution / frame rate somewhere. (in the status bar maybe).
8 - Display the file size taken so far while recording is in progress ?
9 - Is the ability to hide / show the "configuration" mini panel useful at all ?
10 - Fix memory issue when the combined space of the buffer goes over Windows (32-bit) addressable space. This might mean having a single memory setting for the whole application.
11 - Detect if the camera is used in the other screen and connect to the next device.

Most probably not in this version
12 - Fix issue with frame rate of created video. (I'm afraid this is a long shot, it might not be fixed for the release).
13 - On capture freeze, change the interface to allow for better navigation in the recently captured frames (play, pause, next, prev).

Again, if you have any more, feel free to add to the list.

42 (edited by Alexander 2011-03-08 19:06:13)

Hello

Would it be possible in the preferences to make the last recorded clip also automatically appear immediately in the playback screen as soon as the stop-button is pushed (without dragging) in which speedpreferences could be preset (ex. 30%). Combined with the delay this would make the videofeedback process much more automated?

Otherwise I think you are going and doing great, Joan!

The start and stop functions could need key shortcuts. I have experimented with wireless keyboards and mice for distant activation of the functions...

Hi,
regarding no 10 of the list I would prefer to be able to set the buffer for each capture screen independently, this would allow a low definition general image and a high definition one focused on a key area.  Much more flexible that one fixed buffer size.

44 (edited by jon 2011-03-11 04:08:46)

@joan: All these proposed improvements sound great! Can't wait to trial new versions.

Alexander wrote:

Would it be possible in the preferences to make the last recorded clip also automatically appear immediately in the playback screen as soon as the stop-button is pushed (without dragging) in which speedpreferences could be preset (ex. 30%). Combined with the delay this would make the videofeedback process much more automated?

I agree with Alexander, this would be useful. Another suggestion is to rearrange "recorded video" toolbar in descending order so one would not need to scroll to the end of the list to "drag and drop" the video to the playback screen. That is, arrange from most recently recorded to least recently recorded.

Alexander wrote:

The start and stop functions could need key shortcuts. I have experimented with wireless keyboards and mice for distant activation of the functions...

I think we should start a new thread on this topic. I too have some suggestions on this topic. It would be useful to have some shortcuts to switch between capture and playback screens too.

joan wrote:

9 - Is the ability to hide / show the "configuration" mini panel useful at all ?

Yes, that would be very useful to expand the video playback and capture screens. Ideally, we could switch to full screen mode. This would make better use of the delayed video playback.

As i've mentioned in another post, it would also be useful to access the camera properties dialog if possible. However, this is probably a too big of a ask for next release.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Consolidating:

14 - Make the last recorded clip automatically appear in the playback screen as soon as the stop-button is pushed (+ automated speed setting).
15 - Shortcuts.
16 - Rearrange "recorded video" toolbar from freshest to oldest.
17 - Display thumbnail for saved images too. (?)

Comments
14 : will probably go straight to the "Most probably not in this version" category. I don't want to delve into managing these "Capture then Playback" scenarios right now because I don't have a clear picture of how and when this is used.
For future reference, please open a new thread for "Capture + Playback automated scenarios" and describe the perimeter of the feature.

16 : Duh ! Why didn't I think of that tongue

About 9 - The ability to hide / show the "configuration" mini panel.
I am referring to the existing feature allowing one to collapse the 3 bottom lines of the capture screen into one (by clicking on the word "Configuration" for example).