The properties worked...my eyes didn't :-) Setting the exposure really improved the motion blur.

Another thing that I have tested is the use of DV converter like ADVC55. I have two installed on the same computer (two different firewire interfaces in order to make it work). The video capture really put the computer to its knees.

17 (edited by Chas Tennis 2012-10-08 01:10:37)

jbrond wrote:

........One interesting camera currently on the market is the FaceVsion Touchcam N1. It has some interesting features but most important has hardware compression (H.264) internal in the web cam and uses USB. It can do HD in 9 fps but 640x480 in 30fps which is nice for sports. ......................................................It also works with the latest version 0.8.15. The only thing I am missing in Kinovea 0.8.15 is the option to adjust the exposure. Exposure is important if you want to avoid motion blur in the images. Normally you use the "Video source" (DirectShow programming stuff) to do that. But I dont see the properties for enabling that in kinovea? Only selecting the format. Hope to see it soon :-)

Jan

I am not the one to say what can and can't be done with digital technology but here are some basic points to consider relative to motion blur, shutter speed and camera operation.

The motion blur is controlled within the camera by electronics that turn the sensor’s elemental detectors on and off while they are collecting photons.  The on-off time is the shutter speed.  I doubt that any available cameras such as the FaceVsion Touchcam N1 will allow external software to control the camera’s shutter speed electronics. [In some more basic sensors I'm sure it may be possible.]  Please correct.

What is "Video Source"? Does it control cameras?

I see a lot of discussion of cameras with a very wide range of frame rates from 10 fps to 1,000 fps.  I'm getting a little disoriented......sports video applications....10fps, etc. ?  My Casio Ex FH100 camera is high speed video and does not have an output while recording as far as I know (Eye-Fi transfers after recording I believe??). 

For anyone interested only in some very basic high speed video camera issues and requirements for sports I'll open a separate thread.

Since I am doing underwater video of swimmers, I chose the Gopro Hero2 as my primary camera.  The wide 170 HD mode lets me catch the entire swimmers body in sideview, from very close in, thus minimizing the impact of water turbidity.  I also have a Kodak Playsport which I use for filming from the deck usually.
I am anxiously awaiting the Gopro wifi backpack with streaming output.  The h/w is out now, but the s/w is not.

Hi Joan,
Thanks again for a fantastic program!  I have used it analyze video of my swimmers, and the other coaches are just blown away.  I even passed it on to a nationally known coach (Bob  Gillett, who coached Olympia Misty Hyman), and he was also impressed.  I am still discovering new features, just bumped up to 8.19.  I also have the long awaited GoPro Wifi Bacpac and remote, so I started looking into live streaming possibilities.  I find that the Gopro does in fact have live HDMI passthru hardwired, had it all along.  I could have done streaming all along!  I will try a Roxio Game capture HD Pro to get the HDMI to USB2 to PC.  My PC is somewhat old and has Firewire in but no HDMI in. 
Another path, thru wireless network is more complicated, but some people seem to have done it, using VLC and connecting it as a network camera.  I am going to try that next and will report back.