I think we need to gather suggestions about what shortcuts are useful and what functions need

The current list of shortcuts are listed below. Please add your suggestions on how they can be improved.

Keyboard shortcuts

General    
Show the User's Manual                 F1
Show or Hide file explorer                 F4
Launch the Open File dialog box         CTRL + O
Undo last command                 CTRL + Z
Redo the last canceled command         CTRL + Y

Playback    
Play or Pause video                     Space bar / Return
Pause video                     Esc
Go to previous image                Left Arrow
Go to next image                     Right Arrow
Go to first image                 Home
Go to last image                     End

Speed    
Increase speed                         Up Arrow
Decrease speed                     Down Arrow
Increase speed to the next 25% spot     CTRL + Up Arrow
Decrease speed to the next 25% spot     CTRL + Down Arrow

Deinterlace                         CTRL + D
Mirror                             CTRL + M
Grid                                 CTRL + G
Perspective grid                 CTRL + P

Key images    
Add a key image                 F6
Delete current key image                 CTRL + Del
Go to previous key image                 CTRL + Left Arrow
Go to next key image             CTRL + Right Arrow

Comparison and Synchronization    
Activate the other Playback screen     Page Up/ Page Down
Go to synchronization Image         F8
Synchronize back the videos after an individual browse     F9

I'll kick start...

There needs to be a shortcut for one/two playback screens, one/two record screens and dual record/playback screen. A suggestion maybe to use the F keys (i.e. F9-F12) to alternate between views.

Others have mentioned the need for a dedicated 'record' shortcut in the capture screen mode. Would we also be able to have a 'play/pause' button and buttons (i.e. left and right) to slide the live delay (in effect you could pause/play and rewind the video on the buffer).

I know some of these shortcuts keys proposed will already have associated functions. These are just suggestions, obviously another button could be substituted to create the shortcut.

I think the set of shortcuts for the playback screen could be used for similar functions for the capture screen :
- Space bar => start/pause frame grabbing.
- Esc => pause grabbing.
- Left/Right arrow => move delay slider left or right. (only if frame grabbing is paused or any time ?)
- home => reset to 0s delay.
- end => go to maximum delay.

Could be interesting to slightly change the capture screen interface as soon as you hit pause, and make it go left to right instead, like a mini player. In that case the navigation shortcuts would be reverted… sad

What is a sensible shortcut for "start/stop recording" ? We don't want it to be hit inadvertedly. Maybe CTRL+Return ?

Yes, i agree. Those ideas sound great.

joan wrote:

Left/Right arrow => move delay slider left or right. (only if frame grabbing is paused or any time ?)

Both would be good so one could adjust the live delay on play mode and go through the buffer in paused mode.

Re: start/stop record button, I find myself using it all the time so i think it needs to be easily accessed. Would something like "R" too promiscuous?

Also, how do we differentiate the controls when we have dual capture and playback screen? At the moment each screen can be selected by mouse click and the respective shortcuts will work accordingly. Can there be a keyboard shortcut to select/switch screen? Something like an "alt+tab" combination in windows.

Furthermore, in the Playback screen, the left/right arrows for prev/next frame and holding respective arrow to continue playing is absolutely brilliant! Great idea.

joan wrote:

Could be interesting to slightly change the capture screen interface as soon as you hit pause, and make it go left to right instead, like a mini player. In that case the navigation shortcuts would be reverted… sad

Sorry i can't seem to picture this in my head. What do you mean go left to right instead?

Hello all,

Today I used a lot Kinovea again smile (great prog!)

I agree totally to jon proposals.
My experience today told me that it would be good if after capturing a video (you get a little vignette under the main scrren) it would be great if you could double click directly that vignette to read it or better if you could right click on it and have a menu to open it rename it etc...

What do you think?

Daww

daww wrote:

My experience today told me that it would be good if after capturing a video (you get a little vignette under the main scrren) it would be great if you could double click directly that vignette to read it or better if you could right click on it and have a menu to open it rename it etc...

Thanks for the feedback, also check the other thread for capture screen suggestions.

Yes Joan sorry I wasn't sure posting in the right thread smile

For speed I think it should be a bit different (this is because in practical use, people would want generally bigger speed changes, not smaller).

Speed Up  -  Up Arrow (next position on the speed slider, eg. 10%, 25%, 50%, 100%, 150%, 200%, 400%)
Speed Down  -  Down Arrow (next position on the speed slider, eg. 400%, 200%, 150%, 100%, 50%, 25%, 10%)
Two Positions Speed Up  -  Shift + Up
Two Positions Speed Down  -  Shift + Down
5% Up  -  Ctrl + Up
5% Down  -  Ctrl + Down

@Phalanger: Yes, I agree with your concept. Bigger changes in speed is more useful in practice. Those key suggestions sound good. What about if we reversed the action of Up Arrow and CTRL+Up Arrow. That is:

Increase speed                        CTRL + Up Arrow
Decrease speed                    CTRL + Down Arrow
Increase speed to the next 25% spot      Up Arrow
Decrease speed to the next 25% spot      Down Arrow

If anything, the slider should "lock" into predefined speeds (i.e. 5%, 25%, 100%, 200%). What do you think?

PS: In practice, i actually find the speed adjustment bar too cumbersome. I'd rather use the left and right arrows to move frame by frame (mimic slow motion) and hold the arrow for continuous playback.

Yes, it makes sense smile

So,
CTRL + Key = next 1% spot.
Shift + Key = next 10% spot.
Key alone = next 25% spot.

Respectively Left / Right for the decrease/increase of the delayed during live capture.

----------------
Regarding capture and left/right reversal.
The idea was that when you press pause and the buffer is frozen, you would want to use the same interface for playing back and step-by-steping the recent frames.
I think the most intuitive way for playback is to have a left-to-right navigation, left being the start of the video, right being the end. (as in the playback screen).
So in that case it would be better if you can go forward in the video by pressing RIGHT.

Let say the user didn't apply any delay. Slider is all the way left. Left end is most recent, right end is oldest.
As soon as you pause frame grabbing, we will want to turn the slider over so that left is now start and right is now end. Maybe even force the cursor back to left.

At that point sliding right (with mouse or keys) should make you go forward in time. This will be the opposite of when live capturing where sliding right makes you go back in time.

(Maybe the reversal of the function will not be so obvious, I don't know.)

@joan: Oh, i see what you mean. Basically reversing the live delay bar

Yes, logically that would make more sense. The user controls will be in the same direction in both the capture and playback screens. Great thinking!

Is it possible to have shortcut keys to each of the different screens?

For example, shortcuts could be:

- One playback screen                                         1
- Two playback screens                                   2
- One capture screen                                      3
- Two capture screens                                    4
- One capture screen and one playback screen   5

If two screens are selected the shortcut key could also be used to switch between screens (i.e. pressing key '5' could switch between capture and playback screen). This would address multiple functions of the arrow keys suggested above.

Im not sure if these ideas are technically feasible, but something like this would be very useful smile

Reminds me that "series" of keys have been suggested for other functions too:
- shortcuts to activate each drawing tool.
- shortcuts to automatically create a key image with a specific name (with a manager to add/remove instances depending on user application).
- shortcuts to automatically create a label in the image with a specific text. (similar as above for storing the list of possible text).

Can there be a keyboard shortcut to select/switch screen? Something like an "alt+tab" combination in windows.

Page Up/Page Down is supposed to do that currently. It only works for dual playback though. (And the key mapping is not intuitive).
CTRL+Tab is generally used to navigate through tabs in an application. That would probably be a better fit…

Ah i didn't even read Page up/down could do those function tongue. Yes, something like CTRL+Tab would do the trick (like firefox!).

Also, it would be useful if the selected screen was highlighted by a different coloured boarder or something.

RE: Live delay bar

joan wrote:

Respectively Left / Right for the decrease/increase of the delayed during live capture.

I quite like this idea in v0.8.14. However, im finding it cumbersome to move frame by frame whilst holding CTRL. Like the playback screen, playback in the capture buffer should be similar. That is:

Frame forward/backward                     Left / Right
Frame forward/backward + 25%               CTRL+ Left / Right

So this function would be opposite to the speed setting as suggested previously.

What do others think? Some people might like this bigger jump.