I use a GigE Vision Camera Basler A1300-32gc.
It seems that the camera settings can not be saved via Kinovea Select Source....

I can enter the camera parameter via the Kinovea "Select Source" function. Camera parameters can be altered.
Since the camera is externally triggered I want to disable the Acquisition frame rate. I can do it in Basler Pylon API and save it.
I use the tick box "Enable/disable Acquisition frame rate". However it seems that it cannot be saved in Kinovea.
In the source select\properties, I cannot touch the "Apply" button, only the "OK" button.
The result is that when I start capturing with Kinovea the frame rate is set back again to a fixed number.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem?

Thanks a lot!

Kind rgds,

Dirk

Hi,
If I understand correctly from your post and e-mail, you disable acquisition frame rate from the Basler configuration dialog accessed from the Properties button so the video doesn't really have a fixed frame rate. Instead the images just come in at variable intervals depending on the external trigger. This disabling is not honored correctly by Kinovea, which forces a fixed frame rate.

Kinovea doesn't really interact with  the device properties dialog, it's just displayed when you click properties. Whatever happens there is not reported back to Kinovea in any way.

Kinovea will indeed try to automatically select a frame rate, which is interfering with your goal I guess.
What I'm not quite sure I undertand perfectly is how you go from the single images grabbed from the Basler down to the AVI video: are you using Kinovea to capture single snapshots and then another program to consolidate them in an AVI, or directly using the recording function ?

Anyway, I'll try to see if the selection of the framerate can be disabled entirely… I'm not quite sure if DirectShow allows this.

Hi Joan,

Thanks very much for your reply!!! BTW I think your mailbox is full...
Otherwise I could send you some pictures of my project.
And it is really interesting. I think you will make a lot of my fellow hobbyists very happy :-))
I am thinking of making a website of my project soon.
I could refer and make a link to Kinovea.

Anyway you understood it very well. For the last part I was not clear maybe:
I was hoping that Kinovea waits for each and every frame that is captured by the camera and sent to the PC.
Then Kinovea should append each captured frame to a growing avi file.

As for the file attributes you should be able to fill in the frame rate at which the original movie is taken.
in most cases this would be 18 fps. but it should be free to fill in any value since not all movies are taken at the correct speed. Sometyimes 16 (old movies) or 24 fps. (high quality sound.

The Kinovea opens the Basler dialog and it should be possible to see and alter the camera parameters.
I think at the moment some parameters can be changed and some not and some are overwritten.
That is what it looks like.

Thanks for your concern.
look forward to hearing your opinion and hopefully an update?

Best grtz!

Dirk

Another possibility is that the frames are sent by the camera as individual snapshots rather than a continuous video stream. As I understand that is the common way of doing things for cameras with external trigger capability.

At the moment this is not supported in Kinovea but it might not be very hard to implement as it is supported in AForge.NET, the library used to communicate with the DirectShow layer.

djpronk wrote:

BTW I think your mailbox is full...

Should be fixed now !

Yes you have got it. That is what I do. The camera is taking one single snapshot of each movie frame. The camera does this at each trigger pulse from the movie projector each time when a movie frame is standing stlll.

Kinovea should wait for each captured frame sent by the camera to the PC and append the incoming frame to a growing avi file.

The actual capture speed is not relevant so Kinovea should not set a frame rate. The only point is that in the Avifile attributes a frame rate should be mentioned. Otherwise the avi cannot be used to further processing by a video editing program like Adobe Premier for example.

Also you could think capturing the frames in a sequence that can be converted to an avi or mov or any other format in real time or at a later time.

I really do hope it is not hard for you to implement it.

Thnx!