Hi all

I'm looking to set up a low-cost two  (or maybe 3) camera setup for a student sports club. They have little cash, so I'm working on getting an old-ish laptop and a few cameras to make this happen. My question is low cost cameras. I'd like something that will do 60fps or more if possible. Has anyone come across anything other than the PS3Eye?

Some of these cameras will have to be mounted 12 ft in the air, any issues with USB cabling at that distance?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi murray,
I bought a Logitech C922 Pro, wich is capable of 60 fps at 1280x720 image size.
It works fine for me using different recording software, the record quality is very nice.
It works every now & then using the Kinovea software for recording, e.g. sometimes the records are fine, but sometimes the real fps is much lower than 60 fps.
I have not tried yet to combine two or more of them in any software.
Regarding the distance to cover, just make sure you use an active USB extension cable (up to 5m) or an USB3 port multiplier with external power supply. I am using the combination of those for my 4xPS3eye (enchanced with varifocal lenses) setup.
Best regards,

- the repairman will never have seen a model quite like yours before -

Great stuff, thanks for the advice!

Hi murray,
having replied to your post, I went on to use my c922 pro more frequently.
Unfortunately, and I do not know the reason yet (made quite some changes to my hard & software setup since last usage of that cam), most of my records at 60Hz fail now.
Hence, please be cautious and see for yourself, before ordering several pieces of them - just wanted to forewarn!
Maybe other forum members have experienced the same?
Someone?
best,

- the repairman will never have seen a model quite like yours before -

To diagnose recording problem you can check the infobar a the top of the capture screen. Look for the bandwidth and drops.

Make sure the camera is configured to MJPEG which should reduce the bandwidth.