I just stumbled upon deck.js, a very nice JavaScript library to create presentations, and instantly thought it could be great for creating flipbook-like reports from Kinovea.
This would allow the user to create nice presentations to run in the browser (it's all pure HTML/JavaScript, no Flash/Silverlight), either locally or to upload on their website.

Here is a demo page I created to test. Use the arrow keys to change slide.
(I just crafted it in a few minutes based on the sample, it's all default options, so really just to give a taste, but it seems easy to play with).
(Also, I just tested it with Firefox 7, I don't know if it works across all browsers)

Thoughts?

Joan:

I like what you posted, and it's potential.  Having a nice "electronic container" that allows for the  creation of a professional presentation of an analysis would be a great feature for Kinovea. In addition, the ability to share an analysis with others that is easy to post on the web, or be able to quickly send to a client/coach/athlete/student is a powerful feature. 

Great find!!!

Budd

I like this a lot - I tend to do cold light of day/off site analysis and then embed images in a Word doc and do written analyses. I'll look at the primer but, exposing my ignorance, the first things I wonder are what would I be able to "send" to the student? Is it an html file or would I need to host a document for them to click through to to view in a browser or is this a way of doing a neat presentation first hand from my laptop?
Does it allow side by side comparision images or short clips to run?
For info it works well in Chrome 14 and OK in IE9 although the images don't fly in in IE9, they just appear static mid page. Oddly the background blue is most intense in Firefox, pale blue in Chrome and practically white in IE9 for me
I'll kick about the primer and see if I can answer my own questions...

Mike

4 (edited by joan 2011-10-03 00:27:40)

Thanks for the feedback smile

The way I have set it up, it's one HTML file (the file describing the slides), one directory with the images, then 2 directories with the supporting JavaScript and CSS from the deck.js library and dependencies. So it's not quite a single file you could send over by mail.
You can have it locally on your disk and run it from there though, or send a zip. (Since it's pure HTML, you don't need a web server).

I have thought about this in the past and haven't found a practical solution to the "share a single file by mail" wish. There doesn't seem to be an open format to group a web page, its scripts, stylesheet, and external resources like images and videos. (edit: maybe everything could be inlined in the HTML… including images, will have to look into that more closely)

Regarding the presentation, video is possible with HTML5 video, and also embedding videos from websites like YouTube.

On a side note, video players in pure HTML are also now a reality. I have this open source HTML5 Video Player in my bookmarks for example.
This could be the base for a more interactive player or a richer presentation.

But for video there is the issue of format. Between WebM, H.264, and ogg, there is not one format that works on all browsers, so unless we embed duplicates of the video in all the formats, you wouldn't be sure the recipient will be able to read it.

The slide presentation is more for a simple flipbook style thing. Something that could be generated very easily and quickly.
If someone knows a web developer that could create beautiful templates for this, send him over ! big_smile

Works well in chrome could be quite useful