I built a small web application to keep track of all the suggestions, their implementation status, and allow everyone to vote for their favorites.

So go to www.kinovea.org/ideas now and check it out smile
You can "like" the ideas (click on the heart) or suggest new ones.

I will also publish the source code for the web application itself later on. Feedback appreciated.

Very nice idea.
Should there be a scoring or preference-system to keep up the value of votes? Otherwise I like ALL the suggestions!  If I had only  a certain amount of votes to put out.... Or giving "12 points to Ireland", like in the Eurovision?

Yes, I also thought about that… but I think the most popular ideas will still bubble up.

I would like to keep it super simple, and many applications do work with these "like" systems, even if you can vote for everything (digg, wikio, planets). You will not vote ALL because you know it will devalue the ones that you like more than others.

Even with only a few votes casted it is already interesting. I think it will help a lot.

Brilliant idea Joan!

Is there a function to 'unlike' a suggestion? I found myself reading across and clicking he wrong choice and could not undo it.

Does this web app record you IP to prevent people from voting multiple times? Keep the ideas flowing through big_smile

Brilliant idea for feedback !

To add some more ideas..

Perhaps there should be some indication of how much work each of the ideas would involve,  that way voters can choose between several small improvements and a big one that would take lots of work.

Also some indication of which sports are requesting each improvement, there may be a really great improvement for a rare minority sport, but that should not take priority over other improvements for more widely played sports. 

A facility to use a spell checher in this forum would also be great (as one that can't speell and can't type either)

Hi Joan & all here.
Complete noob here & have to say this is fantastic, I've just downloaded kinovea & am amazed it's great.
I have been using a similar package's trial version while considering purchasing & kinovea is handling the video much better with better import, smoother play back & better frame by frame.
The only things missing for me are more drawing & measuring tools.
To make it perfect I would like to see;
- more drawing options ie, horizontal/vertical line, shapes & arrows
- measure horizontally/vertically from a base line I can draw myself
- multi angle measure
- measure the angle between 2 unrelated lines
- overlay 2 still images made partially transparent
- ability to export into open office writer type document

I know I've listed quite a few things & please don't think I've just pitched up being greedy but the addition of the above tools along with what others are discussing would make Kinovea hard to beat & not just in the open source market. One of the packages I had looked at and dismissed had a £5000 price tag.

Many thanks for all your hard work Joan, Kinovea is fantastic & I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Jon

Hello,
The next version will be focused on drawing tools.

jonh wrote:

- measure horizontally/vertically from a base line I can draw myself

Can you give more details on that please, what is the scenario ?

jonh wrote:

- measure the angle between 2 unrelated lines

This would be interesting but not sure how to interface with user. (How to specify the 2 lines, where to display the angle). Maybe as a special tool.
Please also give usage scenario or expected user interactions.

jonh wrote:

- overlay 2 still images made partially transparent

Check the image tool from menu Image > Observational reference > Import image…
Then right click the image and change opacity.

jonh wrote:

- ability to export into open office writer type document

There are some plans for a "rich" export with key images, comments and all, but currently there is no time to do it right, so it's on hold.

Hi Joan,
Thanks for your reply, more drawing tools will be great thank you.

The horizontal/vertical measuring tool is an excellent tool if I am looking for lets say the horizontal distance between 2 points that may not be the same distance above the ground or for instance for stride length, where I don't want to measure the path travelled but only the distance over the ground, see image.
[img align=L]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29296428/screenclip.jpg[/img]

For the angle between 2 lines tool the other package I have used has a button for this tool which puts 2 lines onto the screen with the abgle between them already calculated, you can then drag the end of these lines to the points you require & the value changes in real time. In this way you don't have to tell the tool which lines to measure, they are pre-defined. Again this I would use when looking at gait to give the relative displacement between pairs of legs.

Will have a play with the image overlay tomorrow as only just got home tonight.

I know the export to a file thing is a bit of a cheat & a low priority and it doesn't really matter, just makes it easy to create a standard/corporate image and of course it makes it harder to forget pages.

Many thanks for your response & can't wait to see the next version.

jonh wrote:

The horizontal/vertical measuring tool is an excellent tool if I am looking for lets say the horizontal distance between 2 points that may not be the same distance above the ground or for instance for stride length, where I don't want to measure the path travelled but only the distance over the ground, see image.

Ok. If I try to generalize, what you are measuring is the projection of both hooves on a projection plane, the ground. If the ground was tilted (for example a runner on an inclined treadmill), the whole figure would be at an angle. If this is correct it might be more powerful to have this as a rectangle that you can orient, the base being aligned with the projection plane and the interesting points aligned somewhere along the sides of the rectangle.
If possible/desirable, something like this:
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/projectedmeasure.png
(blue cross are the interest points, and the line with arrows would be the measurement line and would only be allowed to slide perpendicularly to the base plane).
Just a quick schema though, not worth it if it adds unnecessary complexity for user.

jonh wrote:

For the angle between 2 lines tool the other package I have used has a button for this tool which puts 2 lines onto the screen with the angle between them already calculated, you can then drag the end of these lines to the points you require & the value changes in real time.

What would be the best place to display the angle ?

Also, how to resolve the ambiguity:
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/nonsecantangle.png

Hi Joan,
Thanks for your reply

joan wrote:

Ok. If I try to generalize, what you are measuring is the projection of both hooves on a projection plane, the ground. If the ground was tilted (for example a runner on an inclined treadmill), the whole figure would be at an angle. If this is correct it might be more powerful to have this as a rectangle that you can orient, the base being aligned with the projection plane and the interesting points aligned somewhere along the sides of the rectangle.

Yes that would work well and would give more options from just 1 tool, excellent thinking. Can it be created horizontal by default & then you drag to alter it?

joan wrote:

What would be the best place to display the angle ?

Also, how to resolve the ambiguity:

I think how you have shown it is perfectly good obviously only need to show 1 result. Maybe in reality the 2 lines are connected & hence you can calc the angle/manipulate them easily but where they meet is not visible, it may even need to project beyond the bounds of the image you are using?

Considering the general case where the lines supporting the two segments are secant, even if it's outside the view. The crossing creates 4 angles, (only two different values).
The problems are, how does the user choose which of these angles to display, and where to display it. Each segment can be anywhere relatively to the other, so the positioning of the angle is not straightforward… crossing can be inside the view or not.

Hi Joan,
Sorry I'm not being of more help but unfortunately I am very much a user of the software as opposed to knowing anything about how it works hmm
I know that the system I was using had a 1 click tool that placed 2 lines & a result label onto the screen. Each of these 3 elements had handles on to drag into place, the lines at both ends.
When you click on the tool it places the lines on your drawing perpendicular to each other with the result label nestled between them, as the user you then drag the various handles into place & then move the text to a suitable position.
If your so inclined you can download a 30 day trial here http://www.ontrackequine.com/download.htm
Jon