I am interested in feedback on what video capture cards and methods folks are using to successfully capture video in real time from a DV camera to Kinovea.

My camera is a Canon T2i with Mini-HDMI output.  Video recording is set to 1280x1024 at 60 fps.  Shutter speed is unknown.

I can record video to the card, but for processing in Kinovea I have to unplug the HDMI, plug in the USB, and copy across to the laptop, then open it up in Kinovea.

I am using a laptop, so my available options for input include:

VGA
USB 2.0
PCMCIA card

A Mini-HDMI to VGA cable might work but I'm not sure what quality degradation I will experience dropping down to VGA.

Hi velocanman,

From what i know of the Canon rebel series, it doesn't stream video into the computer via USB. Most video cameras for that matter do not either. Only certain video cameras with a firewire connection can plug into you computer like a webcam.

If you want to stream video onto your laptop, the one way would be to get a HDMI capture card that supports usb or PCMCIA. Im not very familiar with hardware so you may need to do some investigating. There are usb capture cards that component/composite analogue signals but this would be of much decreased quality and frame rate.

I am unsure if your VGA connection on your laptop supports a video input. Normally they are a video output (i.e. connect to another screen).

Your best option, if you want to keep a decent resolution and frame rate would be to record onto a card and transfer to laptop for editing. Hope  that helps.

Jon

Jon,

I sincerely appreciate the reply.  You picked up a key point that my laptop VGA only provides output! 

You were also correct that my camera (and others) don't stream via USB.  I was suggesting USB in the event there was a converter available.  The ones I located will stream to USB 3.0 but not 2.0.  As you know, it is a data rate issue. 

I have done some research and I would be best suited going to a desktop with a HDMI capture card.  Until I make that investment I will have to stick with transferring the video via the USB cable or removing the card.  I don't like taking memory cards in/out so I'll probably use the cable transfer.  It is a little cumbersome since I am using the HDMI out to display the video on a TV for the athlete to view during recording.

Something like the Intensity Shuttle by Blackmagic Design might do the trick if I added a USB 3.0 card to my laptop:

Blackmagic Design Intensity

Thanks!

Alan

4 (edited by Chas Tennis 2012-05-31 20:02:51)

I do not have experience using an Eye Fi card.  My Casio FH100 will record high speed video and then wirelessly transfer the video files to a nearby computer.    Soon I'll try an Eye Fi card for low resolutions HSV clips.  The FH100 camera was advertised as 'supporting' Eye Fi so you would have to research compatibility.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/580 … al-camera/

Chas Tennis wrote:

I do not have experience using an Eye Fi card.  My Casio FH100 will record high speed video and then wirelessly transfer the video files to a nearby computer.    Soon I'll try an Eye Fi card for low resolutions HSV clips.  The FH100 camera was advertised as 'supporting' Eye Fi so you would have to research compatibility.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/580 … al-camera/

Chas,

I was just re-reading this thread and realized what you were recommending is an excellent option for my Canon T2i!  Using the Eye-Fi Pro X2 I would not need to plug in USB and could keep HDMI plugged in for the external monitor display.  According to the Eye-Fi website, my camera is "Eye-Fi enabled" so it will recognize the card and won't time out while files are being transferred.

Have you had any experience with the Eye-Fi with your Casio FH100 in the last six months?  Did it drop any frames as you were concerned about?

Alan

velocanman wrote:

.....................................................................................

Have you had any experience with the Eye-Fi with your Casio FH100 in the last six months?  Did it drop any frames as you were concerned about?

Alan

I have an Eye Fi card now  but have not tried it yet.

7 (edited by Chas Tennis 2013-05-14 20:08:26)

Chas Tennis wrote:
velocanman wrote:

.....................................................................................
Alan

I have an Eye Fi card now  but have not tried it yet.

[Operation - Record high speed video with a Casio FH100.  After recording is complete the card acts as a wi fi connection and automatically transfers its video files to a computer.]

I just installed an Eye Fi Connect X2 4Gb card in my Casio FH100 high speed video camera.   (Current card cost about $40.)  It worked well and the video looked normal.  The Eye Fi card recorded and transferred a 240 fps video of a few seconds, low resolution, in about a minute or less.   It was under favorable conditions, close to the wireless router, etc. 

I also directly transferred another video directly to my laptop using the Eye Fi wireless connection.   

In my application of examining my own tennis strokes I don't have a need just now for using the Eye Fi on court. (other than fun playing with great gadgets).

(Update May 14, 2013) Thread on a golf forum discussing Eye Fi card golf applications
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/580 … try4175707

8 (edited by DO_Lin 2014-03-13 19:44:06)

Hello everybody,

I'm currently working in an orthotics research center, and we would love to use Kinovea for our biomechanical analysis.
However, we have some issues when we try to use the Roxio HD Pro Capture Card as a camera entry.
Kinovea does see the input but it doesn't screen anything but a black square (aka nothing), did someone had the same issue using this capture card (or any other capture card) ?

Thank you for your time,
Regards,

Lin

I'am looking for a capture card to grab video from our JVC Experio 315 camera's
Dual channel card are sparse and capture cards that can grab 1040 at 60 fps even more rare.
On this website I found a USB 3.0 capture device at a reasonable price:
http://www.allsportsystems.com/capture-devices.php

It should be compatible with software that uses Microsoft Direct Show.
Does anybody know if Kinovea uses this??

I also need to investigate these capture cards more. It seems the gaming market is creating a new demand for them which could drive the prices down.

If the use-case is display only, like delayed playback for example, it might be interesting.

If you want to record to disk it's more difficult, I'm afraid at the moment Kinovea isn't quite capable of recording full HD to disk in real time without dropping frames. Using the on-camera storage is a more appropriate option for "record" scenario.

Joan, most of us gamers use either the Elgato HD60 or the Hauppauge HDPVR 2. Neither of which are working with Kinovea, they don't even show up. However importing video works fine on either one with the exception of 1080p 60fps

Thanks for the report.
Many cards from AVerMedia are advertised as "DirectShow compatible" which seems to be in contrast to other brands. Do you have any experience with these ?

I have the Hauppauge HD PVR and HD PVR Gaming edition, the Elgato HD60 Game Capture, and I had the avermedia game capture hd but I returned it to get the Elgato