Hi, has anyone had any success using kinovea with a point grey firefly mv usb2 camera?  It works fine with other capture programs, but when I open kinovea I get a black screen and it displays no frames. 

I am not sure how to proceed really?  Are there settings I should try experimenting with?  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks much
Brian

Hi,
Have you tried what is outlined in this article : http://www.ptgrey.com/support/kb/index. … &q=310
If you have a 64bit system it may very well be the issue, as Kinovea is a 32bit application.

I am running windows xp 32 bit.  However, it looks from that document as though it is still worth trying this.  I will attempt when I get home tonight.

Thanks
B

Nope I registered the drivers and it still won't show up?  Any other ideas?

Thanks much
Any help appreciated.

brian

Heres some system information

*** FlyCapture2 System Information ***
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz
Number of CPU cores: 2
Available memory: 2791 MB
Byte order: Little endian
Operating system: Windows XP Professional (32-bit) Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Graphic chipset: Unsupported
Screen resolution: Unknown

The log file for Kinovea shows this error
2812 - ERROR - [@device:sw:{860BB310-5D01-11D0-BD3B-00A0C911CE86}\{6BC8245F-7967-4197-B3F3-5CD16BCA8FD2}] - FrameGrabberAForge - Capture error: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'AForge.Video.DirectShow.Internals.IAMStreamConfig'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{C6E13340-30AC-11D0-A18C-00A0C9118956}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

Thanks for the detailed error message.
I have installed the FlyCapture SDK with the DirectShow filter but unfortunately without an actual device I can't test or reproduce.

From what I understand there are two possibilities:

1. The Point Grey DirectShow filter does not implement the IAMStreamConfig interface (to configure camera image size), as it is not mandatory, but Kinovea or AForge requires it while the other software you tested it with does not.
2. The DirectShow filter does implement the interface but there is a mismatch in threading model that make it impossible for Kinovea or AForge to retrieve it.

I would be interested to know how it behaves in a barebone AForge-based application outside of Kinovea context, to see where the problem lies.
You can download the SimplePlayer and the SnapshotMaker applications from here : http://www.aforgenet.com/framework/samples/video.html

Does it work in these applications?
In the SnapshotMaker, can you change video resolution?
What program does it work in?

Hi Joan,
I downloaded those two applications and both will properly display the video feed from my camera.  However, in snapshot maker the video resolution and snapshot resolution drop down boxes say "not supported".

It also works in a software program thats golf specific called v1home

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/ALL/AS_Home.asp

Does this offer any hints or perhaps workarounds to make the camera work in kinovea?

Thanks!
Brian

Is it possible to resolve the issue between kinovea and this camera? 

I'd be very much interested in being able to make this work.

Thanks
Brian

Yes I will make some experiments and get back to you for testing.

Thank you very much.  I will stand by.

Brian

Hum, Point Grey have just changed their web site so most Google links are dead. It has become harder to find relevant documentation.

Anyway, in order to understand the problem better I would be interested in the following:
- Do you get the possibility to configure the stream size/framerate in V1 ?
- Could you download Graph Studio Next. It is an Open Source DirectShow utility working at a lower level.

1. Go to Graph > Insert Video Source > FlyCapture2 Camera.
It should add a box for the camera on the main panel. (At that point it crashes for me. The DirectShow filter apparently expect that a camera is actually attached).
2. How many capture pins are there on the right side of the box (little squares protruding) ?
3. If you right click the little capture pin and choose Properties, do you get the stream configuration tab (where you can change video format, image size and framerate) in the resulting dialog ?
4. And if you go to the Interfaces tab in this dialog, do you see the IAMStreamConfig entry ?

Thanks

Hi I will get to this this weekend. 

But what I know so far is, there is no way to configure stream size/framerate in V1.

The way it works, is there is a configuration tool that comes with the camera.  You run their configuration tool, and it gives you options for streamsize/framerate etc.  As far as I know the only way to access this is via their tools or their api.

Brian

Follow-up:
After some testing and off-forum communication, the issue should be resolved in the next version of Kinovea.