Experimental version. As always feedback is very appreciated! wink
Beware of regressions and report anything suspicious. Do not assume the issue is known.

Installer: Kinovea.Setup.0.8.23.exe
Portable version: Kinovea.Portable.0.8.23.exe

There are four important aspects to 0.8.23:

1. A new "portable" version.

2. Lens distortion correction.

3. Kinematics plot for trajectories and scatter plot for markers.

4. Polyline, arrows, and styling improvements.

1. Portable version
The portable version is an autonomous Kinovea that doesn't need to be installed in "Program Files".

When you double click the downloaded executable it will extract itself in a sub-directory of the current directory. You can then copy that new directory wherever you want, on a USB stick for example. To run, locate and start "Kinovea.exe" inside this directory.

This is nice for testing new releases or to carry Kinovea in your pocket.
It uses its own local preferences so you can run it in parallel to the installed ones without interferences.

2. Lens distortion correction
This new feature lets you calibrate your camera's lens distortion. Kinovea will then take that distortion into account for all coordinates and measurements.
This allows the processing of videos filmed with GoPro cameras for example.

There are more information on this feature in this topic, and I'll post a tutorial on how to perform the calibration on the blog in a few days.
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/lensdistortion/distortedsquash.jpg

3. Data analysis
A new "Data analysis" menu is available from the trajectory and the point/marker drawing context menus.
This opens a dialog window with plots and data export utilities.

For the Trajectory tool, it creates a time-series plot of a kinematic quantity (position, total distance, velocities, accelerations, etc.) You can change the plot from the "Data source" combo box in the upper right corner. The about tab explains the data filtering algorithms used.
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/dataanalysis/dataanalysis-traj.jpg

For the marker tool, it creates a scatter plot of all markers added in the video.
Combined with plane calibration, this can be used to map ball impacts, player locations, etc.
Here is a short tennis point with mapped ball impacts.
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/dataanalysis/dataanalysis-points.jpg

Both these windows have export options on the right. The save to file option will save a .csv file that you can open back in a spreadsheet application.

You will notice that the values exported do not exactly match the ones exported by the "File > Export to spreadsheet" menu. The latter do not use any filtering and are subject to noise. If you do not intend to perform your own filtering, you should always use the export function from within the data analysis windows.

4. Polyline, arrows and color profiles

Several changes related to drawing tools have also been introduced:

• Some of the tools that were under the "custom tools" button have been relocated to more appropriate places.

• The custom tools can now be individually styled from the color profile dialog.

• The new polyline tool lets you draw a series of connected segments.

• Several variations of arrow tools are now available under the arrow button.

http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/arrows.png

The raw changelog is here.

Enjoy!

2 (edited by getpa 2016-01-25 13:42:59)

Dear joan,
thanks once again for the new version!
My observations (maybe erroneous due to beginner state?) with V.0.8.23:

1. Export to XML worked fine for a) path tracking & b) angle to horizontal (but just 1 measurement).
2. Export to XML worked NOT for a) Goniometer b) angle to vertical c) angle d) marker (but data analysis with scatter plot was fine).
addendum: figured out that the "angle" export issue is likely due to missing labels - the first (or last?) angle measurement is taken into account when exporting to XML -> is that correct?
3. Saving video without renaming (overwrite) as .mkv caused Kinovea crash & loss of video - haven't tried with other formats.

Will try out more tools & features later. ;-)

Actually, I am about to create a report template and was therefore looking for possible ways of populating different graphs with data. It is not the first time this idea is being proposed here I guess, but once the XML report gives you tagged data (i.e. for different named angles), the creation of automated, personalized feedbacks is brought to live easily. This is why I was wondering if there is a way to add the "configuration"-option on the right-click for angles - containing the "Label" field.
addendum: Actually, with some vector mathematics the reconstruction of angles is possible by exporting the x,y-data with the path tracking tool already. (Used Matlab for it & am quite sure that it should be possible with VBA or other progs too). But I love the idea of getting all of it done within Kinovea.
Thanks in advance for your answers,
regards

- the repairman will never have seen a model quite like yours before -

Dear Joan,

new exp. version brings exciting features, thank you!
Just have played with the ball tracking and data display, along with dual playback, hope some remarks will help.

- after reloading a movie and analysis data, the "Display measure" data are not shown, unles I go to preferences, units and save the settings, again.
- after tracking is finished, the result are shown not in consistent way. e.g. if the tracking is done by centering in the middle of the ball, then during replay (frame by frame), the center is sometimes shown in the front of the ball. However, the data are OK.
- Data analysis - I found out the autoscale, which seems to be default for the graph display sometimes results in showing only parts of the analysis. I did not manage to find the way how to avoid it. Only mouse wheel (in,out) helps.
- data export from dual playback is done for 1 measurement only, as mentioned.

Regards,
Milan