I use the space bar to start and stop video playback. Unfortunately, when two videos are being analyzed, and I use the space bar in this way, each goes back to the beginning and starts, despite having my cursor rest on the video I intend to start/stop. I'd love a feature to prefer that this feature be disabled when viewing two videos. I want the two videos to not sync.

Thanks!

I agree it's annoying, it has happened to me as well. However I think it's important to have a shortcut for the synchronized playback and using the same shortcut as for the single video case makes sense in my opinion.

The problem is that at the moment there is no distinction between opening two videos for synchronization or just for looking at two videos individually. We need to figure out a heuristic to distinguish these use cases. Maybe keep them independent until the user actually clicks on the synchronization button?

Yes! Agreed! Make the default to view and start/stop videos independent of each other, and then have the synchronize button available for when you want to use that feature.

Thanks for taking a look!

joan wrote:

I agree it's annoying, it has happened to me as well. However I think it's important to have a shortcut for the synchronized playback and using the same shortcut as for the single video case makes sense in my opinion.

The problem is that at the moment there is no distinction between opening two videos for synchronization or just for looking at two videos individually. We need to figure out a heuristic to distinguish these use cases. Maybe keep them independent until the user actually clicks on the synchronization button?

Perhaps just a toggle near the common controls that will permanently lock dual video playback in their synchronized state based on the working zone starting points? This could be toggled on and off pretty easily.

Drew Read

For the shortcut issue, after thinking more about it, I think the best way would be to use the existing distinction of showing/hiding the common controls. There is even the F5 shortcut to toggle it already. If the common controls are hidden, the videos should really behave as two completely independent videos.

permanently lock dual video playback in their synchronized state based on the working zone starting points

I am not sure what you mean by that, can you clarify the intent?

joan wrote:

For the shortcut issue, after thinking more about it, I think the best way would be to use the existing distinction of showing/hiding the common controls. There is even the F5 shortcut to toggle it already. If the common controls are hidden, the videos should really behave as two completely independent videos.

permanently lock dual video playback in their synchronized state based on the working zone starting points

I am not sure what you mean by that, can you clarify the intent?

I apologize for the necropost, and I see that you have actually added a feature to deal with this that works relatively well. I just figured out what the "Synchronize videos on the current Frames" button does. My only issue now is that it is just a bit unclear as to which individual video has precedence over timeline position:

For instance, when the two videos are "synchronized by a frame":

-If you move video 1 ahead to find an event and then hit the common play control, the video skips back to match the video 2 point further behind in the timeline.

-If you move video 2 ahead to find an event and then hit the common play control, the video skips back to match the video 1 point further behind in the timeline.

-If you move a video back in the timeline individually the furthest point back in time is used.

This is a consistent behaviour, but if I scan ahead to find a specific event, it is very frustrating to have to find the event again after the video jumps back in time. This is of course only an issue if I didn't remember to mark a "key image." wink

Perhaps using the last moved individual video marker as the jump point for synchronization would be better, or have this as an option?

Drew Read

This was changed recently for the next version. There is now a concept of time origin that you can set in each video independently with a single click, and the synchronization will be done using the time origins of each video. I think it will make things clearer/easier. The time origin will also be saved in the KVA file so you won't have to find it again when comparing that specific video with another one.

PS: necroposting is fine on this forum smile

Is that included in the 0.8.27 version I am using?

Drew Read

No, this is for the next version.