This sounds similar to a request I received by email to which I answered yesterday. If it's in the context of spring board diving, please check with your colleague.

For others interested in this camera, I haven't tested it personally but in theory it should work yes.

2

(5 replies, posted in General)

It's valid, this request has come up in the past as well. I realize the current system is a bit oriented towards the more advanced use-case at the cost of making the simpler case more complicated, and that's something I'm not happy about, it breaks the rule.

To confirm, right now it's not possible to have a single-screen window that would automatically switch between capture and replay within itself.

This needs a way to hide one of the screens while we work on the other. There is a similar need in the context of comparing two videos with blending, right now it's just showing the blended view in both screens which is very redundant. It would be better to just show the left screen, and be able to unhide the other one for any operation specific to it.

So it's something I am considering, but unlikely for the next release unless I can find a low stakes change supporting it.
I think any additional buttons or menu to do this would clash in meaning with the existing primary toolbar at the top and the View menu to configure screens. When someone wants to switch back to the capture side for example they will likely want to click the button that shows one camera, but currently this will fully close the player if there is one.
So my feeling is that the solution is to change the meaning of this primary toolbar to be show/hide rather add/close.

3

(3 replies, posted in Bug reports)

I'm not sure when the next version will be released. The bulk of the changes is done, so I think somewhere in the next 3-6 weeks. I need to fix a couple more things, update the translation system with the text from the new features, stuff like that. I'll put a test build first on the Ko-fi page to get some feedback, I need this to move forward with the final build to be more confident that I didn't miss anything breaking.

4

(5 replies, posted in General)

is it possible to have two instances of Kinovea running to show 4 views at once?

Yes you can open multiple instances to have more players and cameras.

You can give names to the instances and recall them later (menu Window > Window properties…, Reopen window, Manage windows…). The general preferences are shared and synchronized between the windows, there is no "master" you can access the window manager or change the list of capture folders from any window. The concept of "workspace" is one level above that, it's for saving a whole set of windows and creating a shortcut to restart them all at once.

Ideally it would run like this:
1. Trigger recording with hotkey or pressing the red button.
2. Capture 5-20 seconds at around 60-120 fps
3. Hitting stop immediately saves the stream and the replay folder instantly renders the files into the side-by-side playback workspaces

Yes that should work. The hotkey or record button is in each window though, so if you want to start recording simultaneously in all windows it needs a different approach, easiest is via microphone trigger but there are other means.
Same for stopping the recording. The easiest is to set a predefined duration so you can't forget it and you will see a red bar reducing towards the left as a countdown.

20 second recordings is going to make large files, for your context where you'll likely have hundreds of videos it will be a concern and the NVMe will fill up. Next version will have a way to define more sensible compression settings (and improved performances to avoid frame drops). If you use USB webcam types they often have a stream that's already MJPEG encoded, this could work well for this.

The replay starts when a file is finalized in the observed folder. You have to tell it which folder to look at, it doesn't directly know about the capture windows. The linking is via the capture folder.

So in your case the first thing you want to do is define your capture folders. Then in the camera screens you tell each camera where it will save its files (using the drop down at the bottom). And for the replay screens you point them at the corresponding capture folder. Any time the capture side finalizes a recording it should be automatically loaded and played in the replay window.

Here is a tutorial that should be relevant, it was for golf but the setup is similar I think. Tutorial for golf swing automatic capture and replay.pdf

Or you could have each pair of camera + replay in its own window, if it's simpler.

For your use case there is maybe an extra layer of automation to investigate. You could have all the patients names in a CSV file, maybe exported from the main software that handles patient records. Then you import that into the "Context" (Options > Context > Import). In the capture screens you'll then get a drop down with all patient names and can specify who is being recorded. The capture folders and file name patterns can use that as variables to automatically put the files in a folder named according to the patient.

5

(3 replies, posted in Bug reports)

Thanks, it was a bug, I just made a fix.

I have changed the maximum playback speed to 10x. It's something I wanted to do for a while, but it could only be done after some changes in the way the player works that happened recently.

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/2026.1/2026.1-speed-slider.png

1x normal speed is still in the middle. I experimented with logarithmic scale but in the end I settled on a piecewise mapping with 0 to 100% on one side and 1x to 10x on the other side. When a capture frame rate is configured there is a more complex relationship so we get more pixels allocated to the slow motion side for fine tuning.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether this should show the resulting frame rate like in the snapshot? I'm not sure if it's relevant to the analysis or merely a technical detail. On the other hand the frame interval in milliseconds could also be an interesting data point, when studying frame by frame it's good to have a reminder of how much time passes between frames. Maybe have these two off by default but have an option to show them if wanted?

I wonder if some people would be interested in really high speed factors, like 100x or more, to study long term effects in a timelapse manner. I always remember this video about the swimming portion of a triathlon that was super sped up and you could see the slow drift of people due to the currents, something you would not realize at all while watching at normal speed.

For really high speed factor the resulting frame rate stops making sense. It would be more interesting to show the "spectator" frame interval, like if every frame covers 30 seconds of real time for example.

Added this a few days ago.
It will use whatever time format is currently configured.

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/2026.1/2026.1-copy-time.jpg

Yes, I just added this a few days ago.

It will be configured in the preferences, something like this:

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/2026.1/2026.1-jump-sizes.png

You set the size of the jump and the "unit" of the jump independently. This is just how I have it configured right now, but the default will probably be something like 0.5 seconds for small jump and 10% of the video for large jump.

For "Percent" unit it is snapping to the next/previous step. For seconds and milliseconds, it takes into account capture frame rate if you have configured it.

There is a little "toast" message showing the size of the jump on the side of the screen, and if you hit the shortcut repeatedly it accumulates the value. So you can quickly jump +2, +4, +6, +8 seconds for example and get feedback about what you are doing.

9

(6 replies, posted in General)

You should be able to do these in either order I think.

I tried to reproduce the problem but for the moment I can't, even if I put the corners in a part of the image that's very distorted by the lens.

I'm thinking that maybe there is an invisible object that is picking up the grab, and has priority over the grid. What if just before trying to grab the grid corner you do a right-click instead, what menu do you get?
Do you get the video background menu (long menu starting with "Mark current time as origin"), the grid menu (it has an "Options" menu with an entry "Show grid"), or another drawing's menu? If it looks like another drawing you can go in its "Configuration" and see which one it is. For the next version I added the name of the drawing at the top but for now you have to infer it.

If it looks like another drawing please make a copy of the KVA before trying to move it around and send it to me so I can more easily debug this.

10

(1 replies, posted in Bug reports)

Hi, thanks.

Yes it's a limitation of the current version but it will be fixed in the next version. I just checked, your file will work.

I'm reviewing the forum for old bugs.

Based on the original post having the files in the "KakaoTalk" folder and based on second user username being "taehyun" I think this is related to the bug that was specific to Korean locale, this bug has been reported to me many times by Korean users.

I think this should be fixed in the next version 2026.1. I don't have a Korean system myself to verify the fix though, so if anyone wants to help please reach out, thanks.

12

(1 replies, posted in Bug reports)

Yes, this will no longer be a thing in the next version.

Hi, the video exporter uses very conservative compression settings and creates huge files. It has been an issue for years but I have addressed this for the next version. There will be more options to configure it, codec, quality, compression level, and some presets.

14

(6 replies, posted in General)

That's strange. Must be a UI bug.

There is an area around the corner points that should detect the grab. Can you zoom in more and see if you can grab while zoomed?
What is the resolution of the image/video? Is it particularly big or small? Are you doing this while still in the Lens calibration mode or back in the general Analysis mode?

15

(6 replies, posted in General)

Hi, the video needs to be short enough that it triggers the "cached" mode. You can increase the memory allocated for this in Preferences > Playback > Memory. And make the video a few seconds long.

The documentation is currently here until it's merged into the main documentation: https://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1977