Hi Joan,

A lot of people may not realize this, but you can view images such as a jpeg or gif image in Kinovea. To find and open an image though you have to go to file/open then the folder you are storing it in to open. I view images quite often in the program to perform detailed analysis as far as pointing something out or drawing lines on the image for printouts. How hard would be to make the images show up in the File Explorer in the same fashion as the video files? Should we ask the group if this would be a feature they would like to see? I may be one of the few who see a benefit in this function.

I guess I should add why I do this. Sometimes I am comparing a pro baseball player fielding a baseball, which I only have an image of and not a video. I would then compare one of my kids fielding and put the image side-by-side and show them the difference.

THanks,
Mike

Hi,
I got some questions on this, people indeed did not always realize that it was already possible but through the regular Open File dialog.

I sometimes like the automatic filtering on videos but it's just a matter of organization I guess. And your example of not always having a video of someone but still being able to compare is very interesting.

As an experiment, I have enabled the images file formats in the Explorer on version 0.8.4.

Anyone that thinks its practical or on the opposite annoying, please have your say here.
thanks.

3 (edited by songtitle 2011-03-18 19:40:20)

Now, if Kinovea could 'play' animated GIFs that would be awesome.  I have a library of these.  Quicktime and Windows Media Player can play them, but VLC, Pinnacle Studio, AviDemux, and Roxio VideoWave can't.

As it is, I must convert them to an AVI video or some other format.

Just wishing, not complaining. I love Kinovea.

Animated GIFs would certainly be a plus. (Baseball community seem to use them quite a lot)
The decoding library doesn't support them as far as I can tell, but now that I think of it, maybe there is a way directly in .NET or another library).
Problem with GIF is that they don't have a defined frame rate, each interval between frames may be different.

Raw sequence of images would be a nice input too.

I use the pictures-option a lot....making cinetograms...or just building side-by-side or overlay comparisons. It actually IS a very useful tool. There is a small catch: if I draw on the picture, I have to save it by making a new snapshot and this lowers the quality quite substantially.

Mike wrote:

Should we ask the group if this would be a feature they would like to see? I may be one of the few who see a benefit in this function.

Hi Mike, thanks for the heads up. Yes, comparing a video to a still is definitely useful. What we've been doing at the moment is just pausing the video at that required frame or put it on a short loop.

I can see what Joan is thinking about the organisation of files. Personally i dont think it would be a problem. However, I have not tested it yet.

(Note that the first 2 messages of this discussion are rather old)

Regarding the animated GIF front, they are indeed supported by .NET natively so there's hope for support in Kinovea for the future.
It will need some architecture work to integrate with the existing, so this will be for mid-term future (not before the next official release).