"Capture" (as in grabbing frames from a DV camcorder and processing them on the fly) is one of the 4 main functional areas that need to be addressed as soon as possible in a future stable release.

I would like as many persons as possible to help design this component which will be a key part of the project.

The areas that most need to be discussed are : what are the functionnalities offerred, how the user will interact with them, and what will be the underlying architecture.

Once we have those, we can start refactoring the current implementation of the capture screen.
(the current implementation is more or less "proof of concept" code, the architecture will probably need to be altered.)

So, this is what I came up with, it's just a rough draft / suggestions, please definitely add your thoughts and what you think we should do.

So, from my point of view : (again, do not hesitate to scratch it and input your own views)
At a very high level, we could support the following functions : 1. delayed live, 2. pause the frame grabbing and browse in recent history, 3. continuous recording to disk, 4. draw on screen.

What I mean by these are:
- delayed live : the ability to display on screen what the camera saw a few frames ago instead of what it is imaging currently.
- pause frame grabbing and browse : the ability to freeze the frame grabbing and see what the frame buffer contains, eventually save it to a file.
- continuous recording : the ability to save what is currently grabbed by the camera, or what is currently displayed on screen, to a file.

Do you think they are reasonable and compatible goals ?
Do you think there are other functions that could be interesting ?
Do you think some of these are in fact pretty useless ?

If you have some specific usage scenarios corresponding to these or a combination of these, please input them as well. Having well defined usage scenario will help for the interaction design part.

I think your thoughts are pretty much enough for "capturing" feature. My opinion is "to be able to pause the frame and save as image", "to be able to start recording video stream and save as a video clip" will be enough for now. Besides, if it can support more than one cam recorder is a plus.

Yes, forgot to mention that some thinking is also needed to handle the various cases of camcorders / screens.
This is probably on of the first thing to discuss.

So, basically as a user, we would be able to use the "View" menu to prepare the workspace : select one capture screen, select two capture screens, select a hybrid mode where you have one capture screen and one playback screen.

We need to clear up the user interactivity here because there are many possible scenarios. I'll give them names just in case we need to refer to them later.

Possible screen combinations :
S1 : 0 screen.
S2 : 1 playback screen.
S3 : 2 playback screens.
S4 : 1 capture screen.
S5 : 2 capture screens.
S6 : 1 playback screen + 1 capture screen.

Possible number of devices connected:
C1 : 0 camcorder
C2 : 1 camcorder
C3 : 2 camcorders
C4 : 3 or more camcorders

There are two kind of interactions here:
1 - The user plugs a camcorder to the computer. What do we do depending on the current screens cofiguration + number of camcorders already connected ?
2 - The user changes screen configuration. What do we do depending on the number of camcorders connected ?

Each and every combination will need to be taken into account at some point in the code, so it would be really nice to have a consistent and sensible behavior.

Examples for interaction 1 - The user plugs a camcorder to the computer.
S1 (0 screen) : show a dialog box inviting the user to display a capture screen. If there are already other connected devices, display a list to choose from ?
S2 (1 playback screen) : Should we display a dialog box ? Should we create a capture screen automatically ?
S3 (2 playback screens) : Should we display a dialog box ?
S4 (1 capture screen) : Is it already linked with another connected device ? if not we should directly link the device with this screen. If yes, what do we do ?
S5 (2 capture screen) : Is there an unused screen among the two ? Do we link the device with it automatically ?
etc.

OK, maybe we can group these and just need to define a globally consistent and intuitive behavior for:
- There are not any capture screen available to link the camcorder to.
- There is at least one empty capture screen that we could use.
- There is more than one camcorder that could be linked with a capture screen.
- There is more camcorders connected that we can handle.

Please anyone add your thoughts on what the behavior should be !

5 (edited by joan 2010-04-16 21:30:01)

Hum, in fact this specific interaction is pretty complex and is not clear how / if we will be notified when a device is plugged in.

So, it's probably better to focus on the second interaction: The user changes screen configuration; what do we do depending on the number of camcorders connected?

Then maybe it becomes easier to answer:
Each time there is a new capture screen created, we present the list of camcorders connected that we can link to a screen.
- if we already have another capture screen with a camcorder linked to it we don't list this camcorder as available.
- if there is only one possible device, we automatically link to it and start grabbing its frames.
- if there is no device, we display a small warning dialog.

Does it sound reasonnable for a first shot?
Then we can expand for the connection notification later ?

So, let's say we start with the basic options, 0. frame grabbing, 1. freezing/pausing the frame grabbing, 2. saving the stream to a video file on the fly, 3. displaying the images with a delay, and maybe : 4. browsing directly in the recently captured images without the need to save them to a file.

About saving single frames to disk, a function where you can save the current image with a single click / keypress would probably be interesting too (?)
(with an automatic file name and going to a predefined folder)

Let's tackle the user experience part, since it is one of the most important thing, in fact, probably more important than the raw number of features.

I made some UI mock-up, so we can do a little usability experiment big_smile

On the following image representing a tentative capture screen, can you guess what the buttons / icons / etc. mean ?
What do you think they mean ?

http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/mockups/capture2.png

Thanks smile

I'll be the first one  to play the game smile You should have numbered them to make it easier tongue

The video camera icon: Select the capture device
The photo cameta icon: Catpure a frame
The rec button: Record the video
The Settings widget: A drop-down menu to set the output file name, which is autoincreased on each capture.

8 (edited by joan 2010-04-20 20:55:31)

Ha ! You only got one wrong, the one I had most doubts about smile

The video camera icon (first) was actually intended to be used as a start/pause for frame grabbing. That is, one may use it to freeze the stream sent by the camera on the current image.
I started with a Play/Pause classic icon, but I found it not appropriate for the function…

What you mention (Selecting the capture device) is missing. I thought it would be best if done only once at screen initialization time, but being able to switch device at any point would come in handy. So that means another button.

If anyone think one of these in unclear please chime in !

The "settings widget" was supposed to be a "foldable panel" rather than a drop down menu, the user would fold it by clicking the down arrow on the right (or anywhere in the grey area), leaving only the grey line with a summary of the settings. (unfolding by clicking the grey line again).

I'll upload another mockup.

edit:
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/mockups/capture4.png

So, there are two "camcorder" icons now, but hopefully they are understandable.
Also swaped image and video in the settings panel to match the order of the buttons…
The white area may host the delay slider, and frame cursor when these are implemented.

- delayed live : the ability to display on screen what the camera saw a few frames ago instead of what it is imaging currently.

Would it be possible to extend the 'delayed live' to about 10 seconds?
My interest is in archery and it would be great if the performer could get feedback directly after performing the action (shot). I guess it would be useful in many other sports as well.

The mockup you posted yesterday looks good.

Trevor

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the delayed live, (which I think can be useful in almost any sport to get unattended video feedback), technically, we need to cache frames somewhere to be able to play them later in sequence.

One approach would be to use a global parameter for "Memory Usage" for the whole application.

Such a memory usage setting is currently in use for analysis mode (frames caching) in Player screens, and it could be reused for the capture frame buffer. (meaning setting either a max duration, say 20 or 30 seconds, and setting a max RAM usage, 1GB for instance.)

Asking for RAM usage is not particularly user-friendly, but I couldn't find anything better for playback screens (ideas welcome). That is why it is more or less hidden in the preferences and we try to get good defaults that works for 90% uses. (Currently, 12 seconds and 512MB).

So to sum up, by default you would be able to select a delay between 0 and 12 seconds. For longer delays, you'd have to tweak preferences and increase allowed memory.
(Actually the 12 seconds would depend on the size of images captured…)

Does this sound reasonnable ?

Another completely different approach would be to use an on-disk buffer. In this case the frames would be temporarily stored on the hard drive instead of in memory.
This would allow for virtually unlimited delay (minutes, hours, depending only on hard drive space), but I'm not too sure of the complexity added by this approach in terms of architecture and obviously the loss in performance.

For those interested in the "under the hood" part, here is a schematic of a proposed architecture, using a in-memory buffer. (Comments also welcomed)

11 (edited by ylatuya 2010-04-21 22:59:53)

The architecture looks good.
For instance, in the case of a port to Linux wink, you would be able to use gstreamer with the following pipeline:
src->decodebin->appsink
It can be extended also to video playback since you can select whatever source you want (dv1394, http, file, v4l2, etc..).
The decodebin element auto-detects the input format, decodes incoming buffers and feeds the appsink element (which is the FrameGrabber in your schema) with raw frames (rbg or yuv for instance). Both the Circular Frame Buffer and the Frame Server Capture can listen to the "new-buffer" signal emitted by appsink and fetch the new frame.

(http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/d … kCallbacks)

Sweet. Thanks for the insight.

Joop wrote:

Hi Joan,

I remember your working on a capture option within Kinovea. Maybey its possible to make it so that you can capture 2 devices at the same time (like Dartfish). Nou in Kinovea you can compare two movies. (We make movies from behind en below of the foot).

Greetings.

The Capture screen will make its debut in the next experimental version (0.8.9). It will be relatively simple feature-wise, as I'd like to have it integrated now, and then add missing features based on feedback, instead of trying to do everything in the dark.

You'll be able to have 2 capture screens at once, (or 1 capture screen and one player screen), I haven't tested simultaneous recording yet tongue

I did some capture simulations this morning...so this is what I found.

I attached my camcorder via fire wire through a dedicated fire wire port on my computer. (Windows Vista Home Premium)  During live capture, the screen flickered back and forth from black to a quick view of video coming in. 

I also unplugged my fire wire connection, and then plugged back in.  When I did this, the software did not re-recognize my camcorder.  I had to close the program and re-start.  I would recommend that if a connection gets lost (and many times it does because the camcorder goes into sleep mode because when you are capturing live directly into the computer, you wouldn't necessarily need to also be capturing to tape) that the software saves the previous device connected, and will either re-connect automatically if it's the same device, or it will show back up in the menu.  Best suggestion is would automatically re-acquire the previously connected device.

I would also suggest for live capture mode, possibly a drop down box, of different popular encoding profiles to choose from. (Example - .avi, .wmv, .mpeg, .mov)  This allows the user to pick the file format they might use most often, and adds flexibility to regulate the file sizes during capture.  Especially important for competitions that go on for hours, when capturing directly into the computer  (If this one was already in there, I missed it)

Let me know what you think, and I will continue to test live mode....

Thanks.
Regarding the flickering, I think I have an idea of where that could come from. The frame buffer is very basic right now and needs to be made more robust.

TeamTermin wrote:

I would recommend that if a connection gets lost (and many times it does because the camcorder goes into sleep mode because when you are capturing live directly into the computer, you wouldn't necessarily need to also be capturing to tape) that the software saves the previous device connected, and will either re-connect automatically if it's the same device, or it will show back up in the menu.

Ah yes.
Probably it should be constantly monitoring the connection, raise an indicator when it's down, and simply resume frame grabbing when it's back up.
I would assume the connection cut would stop any ongoing recording operation…

TeamTermin wrote:

I would also suggest for live capture mode, possibly a drop down box, of different popular encoding profiles to choose from.

Yeah, currently the file will default to .mkv, and to change to .avi or .mp4 you have to explicitely add the extension in the file name edit box.
I agree, that is not obvious at all, and it's impossible to know which formats are actually supported.

I'll add a combo box to pick output container format.
However the actual codec used and parameters, which is ultimately what impacts file size and image quality, will still be non-modifiable for a while. Because that will involve a more complex interaction schema on user interface and on encoding library ends. I'm not sure I want to deal with the complexities of encoding / transcoding right now.

So by default Kinovea will output large files with (hopefully) good image quality (under the MPEG4-ASP codec). And the file size reduction will be left as a post process step for the user.
(By the way, there's a new kid in town for easy video conversion - Miro Converter - free and open source).