The subject says it all.  Tried to make a movie but get the above error.  I've got quicktime installed and can play other mp4s.
Also when I try creating an AVI file I get a "Windows Media Player has encounter a problem when playing the file."
What's missing?

Hi,
"Error -2010" : Which player is giving this error ? Is it also Windows Media Player ?

Here is how various players should behave with videos created in Kinovea :

- VLC : should work out of the box.
- SMPlayer : should work out of the box.
- Media Player Classic : You will need to install a codec for MPEG4 ASP (for example Xvid).
- Windows Media Player :
1. You will need to install a codec for MPEG4 ASP (for example Xvid).
2. If using MKV container, you will also need to install the appropriate demuxer (for exemple, Haali Media Splitter)

It is also possible that the save failed and the file is corrupted somehow. Do you get the same error over and from different attempts, even with the codec installed or in VLC or SMPlayer ?
Can the file be read back in Kinovea ?

3 (edited by replayguy 2010-07-15 17:10:57)

Thanks.  What about QuickTime?  I would have hoped that something in the 32Megs that downloaded with QT would have had everything I needed. :-)

Edit:  I just installed the Xvid codec and no change.  I've made various attempts to save.  It never complains when generating the file.  They just don't play.

Does the file play back in Kinovea at all ?
If not, there's probably an issue with the saving. What version are you using by the way ?

It plays within Kinovea but none of the generated files play.  I'm using version 0.8.7

Ok, if the generated files does not play back in Kinovea, it is most surely an issue with the saving function.
Could you send me the generated files by mail (joan at kinovea dot org).

Some more infos will help:
What is the source of the original video ? (is it coming from a camcorder, passed through a transcoding program, from windows movie maker, from the web, etc.)
Could you also send a small sample of the original video ?
Were you trying to save a subset or the whole video ?
What is the duration of the video approximately ?

Thanks

Its short American football clips from MiniDV camcorder (Canon GL-2) pulled off and stored as Type II AVI files.  The videos are only on average 15 seconds long.

Something must be strange with my xp box.  When I run Kinovea on my xp laptop the saved videos (avi and mp4) crash but when I move those files to my windows 7 box they play.  However other avi and mp4s run on my xp box.  Any ideas.

Also capture doesn't work on my windows 7 box (crashes as soon as I select capture)  However I can capture on my xp laptop and again can't play it back on the xp laptop but can play it back on my windows 7 desktop.