Hi,
Have a couple minutes so thought I'd ask a question I've had for a couple weeks.  Is Kinovea, any version, multi-threaded (can it use/take advantage of multiple cores)?  If not, is making it so on the to do list?  It seemed to me when using it on a quad core system that only 1 core was active in the Windows task manager.

Thanks.

Bumping an old topic to add some info smile

- Currently the player is mostly single threaded. There is a second thread but just used for the timing ticks. Decoding and rendering both happen on the main thread (This can explain poor performances with HD videos).

- The file explorer loads thumbnails in a background thread.

- When you see a progress bar, it's generally indicating a task running in a background thread. (saving to file, applying image filters, loading image cache)

- In the capture screen the main thread is used for rendering. The actual grabbing from the device runs in a second thread.
Until recently the recording happened on the main thread as well. This caused the timing issue reported. (recorded video playing too fast).
This should be fixed in the next version as the recording happen in its own thread now.

There is plan for asynchronous decoding (A decoding thread would fill a queue and the main thread would consume it). We had discussed this with Phalanger some time ago, and I would like to try to address this this summer. (Either this or creating a good framework for generalized "trackibility" of the drawings)