Hi,

First off all: great Job - Kinovea is a really fantastic SW   smile

We are planning to use Kinovea for simple gait analyses and therefore want to capture in dual screen mode with two seperate DV Cameras.

* We have a WIN7, 32bit PC
* and one FireWire PCI Capture Card with two 6pin FireWire inputs

We now tryied to capture with Kinovea two CANON Legria HV40 Camcorders in DV Mode connected via FireWire to our capture card, but we are only able to capture one of the two cameras at a time.

Both cams work, we can switch between both, but when one cam is displayed in Kinovea the other capturescreen stays black, eventhough the other camera was selcted.

There is no error message or crash ...

Does Kinovea need two completely seperate sources like two PCI FireWire Cards each connected with only one Cam?

I appreciate your hints for our problem  smile

Many thanks,

Hello,

There have been similar reports in the past. I'm not sure if a workaround was found and I can't test this scenario. It's possible that the issue is actually coming from the driver.
Can you try to open one camera in Kinovea and the other in another application ? (in Skype or in another software for example)
I doubt having two FireWire cards will change anything.

Hi,

hmm ... I have used those two cameras with our Laptop, same OS (WIN7 32bit), same Kinovea Version 0.8.15,

the Laptop has one built in FirWire Input (4pin) and and second one was established using a ExpressCard with two FireWire 6pin Inputs ...

With this Setup (one cam pluged into the built in Input and one pluged into the Expresscard FireWire input) everything works fine - drivers are the same as on our StandAlone PC ...

I will try to use both cams with different software  as you mentioned and will post my findings...

4 (edited by Rocky 2011-12-16 11:08:14)

Hi,

well I have tried to use both cams simultaneously with different SW - did not work. I just can capture one cam at a time ...

As I mentioned I´m using WIN7 Enterprise 32 bit and a FireWire PCI Card:

OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller: with this card and the most recent drivers videofiles are captured with errors, so the PCI card wont work correctly

therefor I had to use the "legacy" driver - if you go to System/device/Setting/driver/Update driver/ and then to manual select from list, you are able to choose a old version of the driver - with this one the captureing (only with one cam) works ...

so probably the issue with the dualcapture problem really comes from a driver, from the FireWire Card drivers - but I´m not sure ...

because the cam drivers work on our Laptop (in dualscreen) I don´t think those are the problem ...

does anayone else use a PCI FireWire Card and is able to capture in dual Screen? If yes which Card are you using? Please post your working solution ...

Would be nice to list some solutions  : )

Many thanks

Rocky,

I had this issue a couple of years ago.  They wanted to use Adobe Premier to capture two angles at once.  The hardware simply would not allow two streams at once.  There is plenty of info about this on other forums.  I think the common solution is to use a mainboard with an onboard firewire port as well as a PCI firewire card.  That way you have 2 separate hardware channels.  I have never put this into practise myself.

Stuart

Okay, I finally came to a solution for my problem, here is what I have found:

Dualscreen Capture with FireWire is only possible if you either use:

SOLUTION 1: two separate FireWire PCI Cards, each camera connected to one card

or

SOLUTION 2: using a PCI FireWire Card with two separat Chip-sets (Dual FireWire Card) - haven´t tried this, but should work too.

I´m actually using solution 1 - this is the cheaper one, if you have enough slots for PCI Cards : ) and works well

Happy capturing,

Rocky

Great! Thanks for the investigation.