1 (edited by joan 2010-04-03 17:00:42)

This is an experimental version : it needs your feedback to improve itself.

The installer is available here: Link removed. Check the 0.8.6 thread.

Thanks to a massive work from translators, this version includes no less than 4 new languages (Finnish, Norwegian, Turkish and Greek) and updates to almost all other languages (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, German and Romanian) ! (And the start of the Chinese translation as a bonus).
A big Thank you big_smile

On the code side, the most important changes are in the Path tracking.

1. Algorithm change.
The bad news is that the tracking itself is much slower. I am aware of that and I already started to optimise it.
The good news is that the tracking result should be slightly better.
But. I need to know how and when it fails in your tracking scenarios, i.e : slow drift away from the target, sudden jump to another location, search window too small,  etc.
(I have also started to write some filming tips to get the best out of it.)

2. Distance and speed.
Once the tracking is done, go to the track configuration window and choose a Measurement option.
Speeds and distances are related to the current calibration system, that is, you need to add a line drawing and specify its real world length (right click + calibrate).

3. Export trajectory data to raw text.
It doesn't seem much, but more on that in a later post.

Aside of that, the following bugs were fixed : m166, m167, m169, m170.

Quick snapshot - speed display on a track (also note the new indicators in the navigation bar) :
Video from nova68nova.

http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/speed.jpg

Hello Joan!

Thanks a lot for the improvement. I´d like to know why the trajetory lasts only for a few frames. Can´t u make disapear after more frames? Some movements requires more time and frames like in gymnastics.  Why the trajectory does not follow all the movement course in the space showed in screen? I think it would be easy to see the result, like the course of the center of gravity of the body along a sports movment. And u could create a feature to show the axis(x, and y) in the screen. Antoher think is... I´d like to know if u have intentions on creating a stromotion feature on the program.

Thanks a lot for the effort, the contribution and the atention!

Prof. Rogério Balthazar
Brazil

Rogerio wrote:

I´d like to know why the trajetory lasts only for a few frames. Can´t u make disapear after more frames?

The trajectory will auto-update its position as long as it can find the point tracked with sufficient "similarity".
If your trajectory stops after a few frames and disappears, I guess it's because it cannot find the point being tracked with enough confidence anymore sad
(You can go to the last frame of the trajectory and right click + Restart path edition).

Maybe the point is going too fast for the current search window size ? The search window is the semi transparent square around the target. It is the only area where the point will be looked for. (I know it's kinda small, but trying to find a tradeoff between performances and robustness)

Please run it frame by frame (move the video with the arrow key instead of play for example) and look at the number in the upper left corner of the search window. What is the last number before it start to disappear ?
(This number is the similarity measure by the way, it goes from 0.5 to 1.0)

Rogerio wrote:

And u could create a feature to show the axis(x, and y) in the screen.

This is in the workings. In fact, if you go to menu Image > Coordinate system origin, you'll see that you can already define the axis. Currently it is only used for trajectory export to spreadsheet files, but in a future version you should be able to display it directly over the video.

Rogerio wrote:

Antoher think is... I´d like to know if u have intentions on creating a stromotion feature on the program.

Well, it is in project but don't hold your breath. tongue

Hi,
Someone reported a crash at the application startup with 0.8.5, and we have a hard time finding the cause… I can't reproduce, is anyone else having the problem ?

Hi Joan,

Thank you for the Finnish beta.
A question and suggestions:
Does the speed given by the tracking-tool indicate speed in the direction from the earlier point (picture or startingpoint) or is it given along the X-axis?
Would it be possible to have an optional speedmeasure with BOTH the x-  and y-axis separately? The horisontal speed is important for a sprinter, the vertical for a highjumper and both for a longjumper...
My athlete is a young female longjumper. She won the Finnish championship last weekend jumping 599 in the under 17y agegroup smile

And further: the possibility for angular speed to a defined axis (a new marker). If I mark the hip and start the tracking-tool on the knee, then I could get the angular speed of an athletes kneelift.
And at last: the possibility to change these to measures of acceleration/deceleration.-

Problem:
After using the tracking-tool with speedindication my spreadsheet export does not work for some reason. It does not save the data?

with best regards,

Alexander

P.S. There should be some useful code out there for correction of the parallax. They are widely used in panoramastitching from pictures... This would be a great improvement to your fantastic program!

Alexander wrote:

Does the speed given by the tracking-tool indicate speed in the direction from the earlier point (picture or startingpoint) or is it given along the X-axis?

"In the direction from the earlier point". It is basically the length of the last segment of the trajectory divided by the frame interval time.

Alexander wrote:

Would it be possible to have an optional speedmeasure with BOTH the x-  and y-axis separately?

Well, if we can find a way to provide the option without cluttering the interface, yes.
Currently I would be more inclined to delegate this type of specific measurements to the external spreadsheet / plotter application. Maybe we'll need more options in the export dialog ?
But if it's a matter of adding an option to the combobox and then displaying a different label on the key images / current point, then it should keep the interface clear.
I'll try to see why the spreadsheet export would fail.

Alexander wrote:

My athlete is a young female longjumper. She won the Finnish championship last weekend jumping 599 in the under 17y agegroup smile

That's great smile I'm a former high jumper myself.

Alexander wrote:

And further: the possibility for angular speed to a defined axis (a new marker). If I mark the hip and start the tracking-tool on the knee, then I could get the angular speed of an athletes kneelift.
And at last: the possibility to change these to measures of acceleration/deceleration.-

I think this the core of the issue, there are so many thing we could measure and display ! smile

There is also the possibility of multi point tracking to directly see an angle variation, or measuring the alignment of a tracked line with a reference line (for exemple tracking the leg alignement with a vertical reference frame during walking cycle seen from behind).

And then there are all the visualisation approaches. having a plot of the positions on X axis vs time or Y axis vs time, or speed over time, acceleration, etc.

We need to list / gather all ideas in the "measurements" area and come up with a coherent system.
For this we should probably follow the discussion in a specific thread, like here for exemple.

Alexander wrote:

Problem:
After using the tracking-tool with speed indication my spreadsheet export does not work for some reason. It does not save the data?

I couldn't reproduce the issue. Does it happen with all export formats ? (XHTML can be viewed in a web browser and Text in notepad)

I´ve imported *.mov 60fps in BW, deinterlaced, saved it as *mkv and used the trajectory with speed indication. When I´m saving it to *.ods, *.xls or *.txt to a different name "sdkuopio.*" everything seems OK, but the spreadsheet just is not there?

Hmm, now that I think of it, I have experienced something similar during developpement.
Can you check the log (from Help > Open log folder and then open "log.txt").
Let me know if you see anything along the lines of "Export not possible, xslt file not found."

Can not explain it, but the export suddenly works again.... I´ll check if there was something different with the earlier files?

Well, I had the same experience when it happened to me, it solved itself up. sad

Hi Joan! 

I had asked for drag and drop functionality for 0.8.4, and you did not disappoint!  Whatever you changed allows Kinovea to open the videos generated from my 3d software package immediately -- exactly what i need.  Thank you so much.

However, now there seems to be a (minor) issue with hotkeys... unless I manually open kinovea, the hotkeys (the space, and arrow keys specifically,) do not work.

This occurs when:
*Opening Kinovea via Maya (my 3d software,)
*Opening an .avi file from windows explorer (where kinovea is the default player,)
*Right clicking a file in windows explorer, and using open with>Kinovea
*Through the dragging a video icon onto the kinovea program shortcut

I should add that in these instances, closing the playback view plane that kinovea automatically produces,  and navigating to (and opening) the file via kinoveas browser allows me to use the hotkeys.  (This is in the same 'session' of kinoeva - I do not close the program in this instance.)

Again, I'm very grateful for the ability to automatically load the video file I've selected immediately, instead of having to navigate to it, but it seems I'd like my cake, and eat it, too.  :~)

Hi,
Thanks for the follow-up on the drag and drop and for the bug report.

I reproduce it too. It'll be known as bug m177.