Hi Joan,

I have tested the capture mode. The following "problems" occur. The movie is captured in de-interlaced ( or otherwise interlaced). The de-interlaced option doesn't correct the movie. The location from an observal reference in the preview is not the same with the location from the captured movie. Is it possible to memorise the start screen, so you don`t have to resize ever time de colums en display format (now I every time must rescale the captured movie so its so big as possible (within the window).

With regards cool,

Joop

Joop

Where is the capture option?

Because of the start/stop nature of many sports (American Football) one needs a capture routine that automatically creates a new file every time the recording is stopped.  Each new file should be named such that an alphabetical sort will keep them in the order recorded.  There is a program out there that does this well.  Its called ScenalyzerLive.  It costs about $35.  It is a very nice product for capturing and/or splitting up sports videos (or other videos)  another free capture product is WinDV. Unfortunately it does not stop recording to disk when the record button is off.  But it does have source code is someone wanted to modify it.

Joop wrote:

The location from an observal reference in the preview is not the same with the location from the captured movie.

Currently we can't find out if the captured stream has rectangular pixels. (image format 4:3, 16:9, if different than the resolution).
Can you try to determine if this location problem is linked to this issue ?
Is it the same with other drawings or just the observational refs ?

replayguy wrote:

Where is the capture option?

It is available in the latest experimental version (0.8.9)

replayguy wrote:

Because of the start/stop nature of many sports (American Football) one needs a capture routine that automatically creates a new file every time the recording is stopped.  Each new file should be named such that an alphabetical sort will keep them in the order recorded.

Yes, it was designed like that smile
Basically, it looks for a number in the entered file name and increase that number to suggest the next file name. Hopefully you just have to hit rec/stop.
For exemple, if you set filename to "attempt 5", the next will be created as "attempt 6". (You can still manually change it if needed).
- If several numbers are found, only the last one is incremented.
- If none are found, a "- 2" is appended ("attempt" -> "attempt - 2" -> "attempt - 3", etc.).
Same applies for the image snapshot file.

Once I get Kinovea working (playing saved video) I will certainly test this out.

While I haven't got this working yet ... I would like the option to name the file corresponding to the datecode and/or timestamp.  You could put a preamble name e.g "football" and it would generate file names like "football'07172010 12.02.59+13" the next clip might be "football'07172010 12.03.42+1" However I don't think you can get the number of frames from the timestamp so you might have to leave off the frames.  This is only a problem if there are two or more clips in the same second so in that case you could add something like "football'07172010 12.02.59" and "football'07172010 12.02.59.1"

Hi Joan,

I don't know what I did, but now is de the place from the image with capturing en playback mode the same.
Futher I have testing the following issue:
- In the platform Windows Vista the new version from Kinovia "hangs itself" when wou select the capture screen (with XP its works oke).
- When you selected 2 capturescreens, recorded en switched back to 2 playback screens; the last 2 aren't displayed. You have to restarted Kinovea.
- Is it possible to make a record button that captured both screens at the same time?

With regards,

Joop

Joop

Joop wrote:

- In the platform Windows Vista the new version from Kinovea "hangs itself" when wou select the capture screen (with XP its works oke).

Ok. This may be related to the flickering issue reported by TeamTermin. I also experienced that with Windows 7 on a friend's machine…

Joop wrote:

- When you selected 2 capturescreens, recorded en switched back to 2 playback screens; the last 2 aren't displayed. You have to restarted Kinovea.

Yes, this should be fixed in the next version. Thanks.

Joop wrote:

- Is it possible to make a record button that captured both screens at the same time?

I think it is important that the capture works well for a single screen first wink

23 (edited by joan 2010-07-22 09:03:54)

I get this message when trying to run capture on windows 7

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.FrameGrabberAForge.ConnectToDevice(DeviceIdentifier _device)
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.FrameGrabberAForge.ConnectToDevice(FilterInfoCollection _devices, Int32 _iSelected)
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.FrameGrabberAForge.NegociateDevice()
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.CaptureScreenUserInterface.TryToConnect()
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.CaptureScreenUserInterface..ctor(FrameServerCapture _FrameServer, ICaptureScreenUIHandler _screenUIHandler)
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.CaptureScreen..ctor(IScreenHandler _screenHandler)
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.CommandAddCaptureScreen.Execute()
   at Kinovea.Services.CommandManager.DoCurrentCommand()
   at Kinovea.Services.CommandManager.LaunchUndoableCommand(IUndoableCommand command)
   at Kinovea.ScreenManager.ScreenManagerKernel.mnuOneCaptureOnClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   <snip>

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Kinovea
    Assembly Version: 0.8.9.35141
    Win32 Version: 0.8.9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Kinovea/Kinovea.exe

<snip>

Any suggestions?

Just wondering if there are any updates on the capture feature?

Hello all,

I tried the capture feature in live. (I'm a golf teacher)

Here is a report on the bugs I think I saw smile

note: I'm using 0.8.9 and win 7.

1:  When I wanted to name the video file I absolutley had to highlight the numbers already in, then right click to hit delete then I could write down my file name.
I couldn't simply highlight and write the text I want..
(this bug isn't here when I use vista).

2: After capturing a video in a specified folder the explorer doesn't show it, to see it you have to go in another folder then go back in the previous one to see the just recorded video.(the prog doesn't refresh?)

I think I'm forgetting a bug but I can't remember... smile

Now some things I would like to see in the future:

A good thing in Dartfish is to be able to use a remote control.

Would it be possible for Kinovea to support a remote, at least for recording a video away from the keyboard.?

I recieved today a casio exilim fh100 (high speed camera), I haven't been able to use the capture feature with it?
Are you aware of a way to use it? by forcing the directshow?

Thx for the great program again

Bye

Daww

TeamTermin wrote:

Just wondering if there are any updates on the capture feature?

I more or less went into "vacation mode" regarding Kinovea for july and august smile
I'll try to deliver a new experimental version in the next few weeks. The priority will be fixing the issues with capture screen and the Windows 7 UI glitches.

daww wrote:

had to highlight the numbers already in, then right click to hit delete then I could write down my file name.

Well, there is one thing that could explain that. When you have the text highlighted, if the mouse goes away and enter some other part of the user interface like the file explorer or the main screen, then the focus is transferred to this area and lost on the textbox. You have to keep the cursor within the bottom area of the interface. This was done to enable other things like keyboard navigation and mousescrolling depending on the area where the mouse is.

daww wrote:

After capturing a video in a specified folder the explorer doesn't show it

Hmm, I don't think it is the responsibility of the recording program to refresh the file explorer. Probably just hit F5 to refresh it and you'll see the file appear.

daww wrote:

Would it be possible for Kinovea to support a remote, at least for recording a video away from the keyboard.?

One prerequitise to this is that I need a remote to test. By coincidence, a friend gave me a remote he's not using today. I haven't tried and I don't know if I can install it on my PC though.
Anyway, I'll see how this stuff works and see if something can be done.

daww wrote:

I recieved today a casio exilim fh100 (high speed camera), I haven't been able to use the capture feature with it?
Are you aware of a way to use it? by forcing the directshow?

I don't think these cameras can do direct streaming can they ? Do they have a "webcam" mode ?

If you find a way (any way) to display on the PC screen what the camera is currently imaging, please share program/method used. (I honestly don't know if it's feasible or not).
Thanks

Hi,  I have just discovered this project and I must say I am very impressed!  I have successfully captured video via 1394 with 0.8.9 build.  I was curious, however, if there would be the possibility to capture from a live UDP stream as well?  I am a coach on a youth american football team and we wirelessly stream the video from a camcorder over WiFi to a computer on the sideline for live playback action via PVR software.  If I could add that wireless flexibility to the power of the Kinovea tool then I would be very excited!

Thanks.

Hi,
It's sounds like an interesting use case (and challenging smile)  However I thinks it's important to make sure the capture screen is robust enough and well functioning in its current implementation before attempting other sources.
(Maybe check LongoMatch software, he just added capture too during the summer. He is using a somewhat more versatile library for capture, maybe it already does network sources… And it is more tailored towards team sports too)

Hi Joan:

I did some live capture with the updated version you sent to me with the following results.  (Windows Vista)

I used a Sony video camera attached via a fire-wire connection.  During capture, the screen flickered again, like I had mentioned to you before in a previous post.  Play back of the files after capture looked good and played back smoothly.  The screen flicker during live capture does not seem to affect the capture quality.

Hope that helps...