In PlayerScreen category, there is a AddKeyframe shortcut. It makes easier to add keyframes fast but it would be great to have multiple presetted keyframe shortcut.

Because right now its super hard to add keyframes and then manually rename them and then export to work with raw data.

Something like this would be great:
Add Keyframe #1: Name of the Keyframe / Shortcut Key
Add Keyframe #2: Name of the Keyframe / Shortcut Key
Add Keyframe #3: Name of the Keyframe / Shortcut Key
(Ideally up to 10?)

In this way we can easily assign preset keyframes with names.

Add Keyframe #1: Initial Contact / Ctrl + A
Add Keyframe #2: Release / Ctrl + S
Add Keyframe #3: End of Recovery / Ctrl + D

So whenever we press Ctrl + A; a keyframe named Initial Contact would be added.

Then we can easily export this to Excel, where all of those keyframes are already named and all we need to do just take the raw data (keyframes seconds) and apply the formulas we need.

This would be very beneficial to a lot of people who work with lot of video analysis and need of calculating speed, velocity, acceleration, time etc.
Because we need lot of different parameters from one video and renaming every keyframe again and again is just exhausting.

Thanks for consideration.

There was also a request for automatically creating drawings of a certain type.
I think it should be doable but not sure about the form factor.
Maybe something in two steps: 1. a number of "dynamic commands" added to the shortcut manager, where you can bind the keyboard shortcut you want. 2. in the drawings preferences a place to define the action corresponding to each dynamic command.

It would be simpler if all the actions have a simple format, for example create X and just one argument for the name. But I think people would use this a lot to add labels, so it's important that this can create labels with specific text.

joan wrote:

There was also a request for automatically creating drawings of a certain type.
I think it should be doable but not sure about the form factor.
Maybe something in two steps: 1. a number of "dynamic commands" added to the shortcut manager, where you can bind the keyboard shortcut you want. 2. in the drawings preferences a place to define the action corresponding to each dynamic command.

It would be simpler if all the actions have a simple format, for example create X and just one argument for the name. But I think people would use this a lot to add labels, so it's important that this can create labels with specific text.

Yeah it would be great to make a change in order to make all drawings easier and faster but in my opinion it wouldn't effect other drawings effectiveness that much. Because other drawings are already suppose to work in a non-fast/hurry way. You make a line or a drawing and you have adjust etc. So you just take your time with it.
But just adding a keyframe and moving on, just to mark that time(hh:mm:ss) is a quick job in its nature. It's just a marking a frame and then exporting to a excel file.
Thank you for taking the time again (:

You're right, I think people that wanted to do this with labels were also essentially tagging the whole frame as a particular event. So being able to create named keyframes on the go as the video plays should fill the same use-case.

joan wrote:

You're right, I think people that wanted to do this with labels were also essentially tagging the whole frame as a particular event. So being able to create named keyframes on the go as the video plays should fill the same use-case.

Exactly, sounds super convenient.
When could this be implemented into the software, if it's going to be?

6 (edited by joan 2022-12-31 18:43:51)

I cannot give an estimated time, there are too many other factors.

I started to look into this. One idea I had was to add a function where you right click an existing named keyframe and do "Set as preset X" or something like that. Then I realized that instead of having just the name of the keyframe we could save all the data associated with it and use *that* as a preset maybe. This way you can add a rich keyframe with some pre-made drawings in one click. There is also a feature for keyframe "color" that would fit nicely into this.

So now I'm thinking that instead of saving this as a list of names in the preferences, it might be simpler to have a "preset KVA" that is a normal annotation file but containing many presets for keyframes and drawings. I think this could simplify the logistics for the more advanced automation scenarios. In the preferences you would point to your preset file, it would analyze it and then for each shortcut/action slot you would select the thing to add based on what's in the file.

edit: scratch that, it would be too complicated to setup. I'll stick with simple name+color presets.

Since I don't know the background of the coding of this I have no idea how things work or how hard it would be to do that. But it sounds good. I'll be waiting any kind of update regarding this feature. Thank you for your interest and I hope everything goes smoothly (:

joan wrote:

I cannot give an estimated time, there are too many other factors.

I started to look into this. One idea I had was to add a function where you right click an existing named keyframe and do "Set as preset X" or something like that. Then I realized that instead of having just the name of the keyframe we could save all the data associated with it and use *that* as a preset maybe. This way you can add a rich keyframe with some pre-made drawings in one click. There is also a feature for keyframe "color" that would fit nicely into this.

So now I'm thinking that instead of saving this as a list of names in the preferences, it might be simpler to have a "preset KVA" that is a normal annotation file but containing many presets for keyframes and drawings. I think this could simplify the logistics for the more advanced automation scenarios. In the preferences you would point to your preset file, it would analyze it and then for each shortcut/action slot you would select the thing to add based on what's in the file.

edit: scratch that, it would be too complicated to setup. I'll stick with simple name+color presets.

Hi Joan, I just wanted to follow up on this idea. Just to let you know that I'm still using Kinovea daily and this feature would be a killer! (:

Hi, yes I did implement the concept of keyframe presets (name + color, bound to a shortcut) in the last version. Check the sticky topic in the general forum with the release post for 2023.1.

I made a little video here, especially the second part at around 2min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJmcvMwtz70

joan wrote:

Hi, yes I did implement the concept of keyframe presets (name + color, bound to a shortcut) in the last version. Check the sticky topic in the general forum with the release post for 2023.1.

I made a little video here, especially the second part at around 2min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJmcvMwtz70

Oh I was just checking the website's downloads page. New version looks awesome! Features, interface and other new things! Everything is just simply amazing.
Thank you so much!