Hi, I'm finding myself going back and forth on some tennis videos analysing serve technique. I stop the video and move frame by frame using the mouse scroll wheel. Going forward is smooth but when going back it only goes smoothly 5 or 6 frames, then it takes half a second to display the next (previous) frame. I would love to be able to set a point in the timeline and have Kinovea build up a cache of frames for a given amount of time before and after.

The use case: Key point happens at 00:02:00. I want to be able to frame-step back and forth smoothly from 00:01:45 to 00:02:15.

I found this old thread explaining why reversing is much more complex than moving forward, hence this proposal to build a cache on demand: https://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=929

Cheers!

I would love to be able to set a point in the timeline and have Kinovea build up a cache of frames for a given amount of time before and after.

You can restrict the working zone around your set point in the timeline, this should trigger the caching, (if enough memory is allocated in the preferences).

Other than this mechanism, there is already a small cache constantly updated around the current spot, about 16 frames. Maybe there should be a visual indicator of this to give feedback about where it stops, and allow more control over its size.

(Sorry your message didn't appear initially, all first-time messages containing links go to a hidden forum for spam triage)