Is Kinovea able to help me cut up game footage for my players?
I want to:
1) Mark the start of a sequence
2) Mark the end of a sequence
3) Export the sequence as a separate video with a name

Hi,
At the moment you'd have to export them one by one manually, moving the working zone for each. Move to the area of interest, restrict the working zone bounds for example using the [ and ] buttons on the bottom left under the playback screen. And then use the Save video menu (it will automatically only save the current working zone).

I have thought of something else using the new stopwatch tool, I'd like to know what people think about this. The new stopwatch let you record the duration of disconnected sections and assign them a name. We could pass this list of named sections to the exporter and export all the sections at once in batch, using the section name as the video file name. Would that be workable?

I haven't published the video tutorial about the new stopwatch yet but essentially you would go through your entire video and use F5 shortcut to start/end time sections. You'll see them in the timeline.

If it's a bit too weird to use the stopwatch for this there could be a dedicated tool. In that case maybe it could also define a rectangle for each section to define the crop area to export for that section.

3 (edited by petecrowe 2023-11-07 19:08:06)

Why not do all the cutting using a video editor prior to bringing it into Kinovea? There are many free, and easy to use editors out there that would make short work of a game. Setup a watched folder in Kinovea, put all the clips into there and you have an editing assembly line.

I use OpenShot. It's free.

https://www.openshot.org

The stopwatch idea is excellent. I won't be using it for my purposes, but I'm sure others will find it especially useful.