First let me start off by saying that this is a fantastic program.  I love using it and feel that it will provide my swim team with a great deal of information that will only make us better.  My problem comes from the fact that in order to show the swimmers on my team the video (edited) of themselves swimming I need to be able to show it in Windows Media Player.  Is there any way  to get the video that I have done for them (with tools) to play in the windows media player.  I have tried saving it with a pause on each key image with no success, and then tried to save a slideshow with the key images (while useful doesn't give quite the same effect), but couldn't get that to play in Windows Media Player (in any format).  Some of the problem may be that I am quite technically challenged, but any help you could provide would be great.  Thanks.

Nick

Yeah it is a good program and i am using it aswell.You must install the codecs to play the videos on window media player or you must convert the video into .wmv format.

I haven't been able to get videos saved as AVI to play in Windows Media Player. VLC Media has no problems, however it would be good if there was an easy way for people to play these videos on Windows Media Player, Quicktime etc without having to go in and install codecs which are obviously already on the computer somewhere.

4 (edited by joan 2010-11-01 14:50:48)

Well, the codecs are not obviously already installed. A freshly sold computer does not come with the DivX/Xvid codec. You have to install it manually at some point.
I'll try and check again what is the minimum stuff to be installed on a virgin Windows to replay the videos.

edit:
So after some tests,

To play back AVI files generated by Kinovea in Windows Media Player on a fresh Windows XP machine:
- For Kinovea versions prior to 0.8.11, you need to install the FFDShow Tryouts codec.
- For Kinovea versions 0.8.11 and later you can either install the XviD codec or the FFDShow Tryouts codec.

The XviD codec is a single codec (small download), the FFDShow Tryouts is based on FFMpeg and will help decode many files. Although it works out of the box, if you need to configure it, the interface is more complex.
Both are open source software.

Thanks Joan.

My point was that if the video can be played in VLC or Kinovea, then it should also be able to be played in other media players without having to download the codecs. I realise this a problem with the media players and not Kinovea! Perhaps the codecs should be installed automatically when Kinovea is installed... or does this have some licensing issues?

Thanks again, Glen

That is because VLC (similarly, Kinovea, MPlayer and others tools) do not use codecs at all.

We use the FFMPeg's libavcodec library which itself implement decoding and encoding of the files. The library code is tightly integrated into the software, other softwares cannot use it. There is nothing Kinovea installs that could be used by Windows Media Player, they just work totally differently with regards to decoding files.

The FFDShow codec tries to gather the best of both worlds, it turns the libavcodec library into an installable Windows codec, so with one single piece of software you have the whole FFMPeg suite of decoding/encoding tools available to these codec based players.