1 (edited by jurasikpark 2011-01-16 22:40:29)

After reinstalling Windows and installing a fresh copy of kinovea, it won't play MOV and FLV files anymore.
It says: "Failure: unable to open the file : file not found or empty"
Worked fine before.
Tried installing various codecs... didn't help.
I've got Win7 HP, Kinovea 0.8.7
Can anyone help please?

Hmm… Maybe you were previously using one of the experimental version?
They have a more recent version of the file decoding library, so if it's an option, you may want to try that anyway.

The error is strange though. It's not saying it cannot decode the file (there is another error for that), it's saying it can't find it in the first place…

3 (edited by jurasikpark 2011-01-17 11:22:12)

I think i found the problem.

Kinovea doesn't want to open files that contain Cyrillic characters in the file path.
But I'm sure it did before. And I was using a standard version.
Files that i try to open in Kinovea play normaly in all other players. (MPC, WMP, VLC ...)
And renaming is not the option.. I've got hundreds of them smile

Yes, you're right. I reproduce this right away with cyrillic characters in the filename.
I added bug231, I'll try to look at this as soon as possible, fairly critical.

I'll try with older versions to see when this started to fail and what may have changed…

5 (edited by joan 2011-01-18 10:39:31)

I think I have found the root cause, and apparently the bug has always been there, although it might have been hidden.

The underlying cause is a bit complex (see bug note), but it worked before because the default codepage on your machine contained the cyrillic characters, and apparently it doesn't anymore on your new system.

This means that non Unicode programs will have issues with these filenames (Which is the case of the low level decoding library when used with default options).

Here are some instructions to change the default codepage in Windows 7, this may help with the problem until a more general solution is implemented.

edit:
To confirm the workaround, I switched the settings for non-unicode programs to use the Russian codepage on my machine, and now I can open the files with cyrillic characters. (but files with roman special chars like éêà do not work anymore)