Hi all,

There will be a version 0.7.x with some new drawing tools.
(trajectory, chronometer, magnifier, etc)

The version after that will be a bigger construction work, with important functions on the way to have a complete and comprehensive tool.

Following is a non-exhaustive list of possible topics. You are invited to extract your top priorities, or even add your own :

1. DV Capture, recording in live.
2. Sound playback.
3. Special effects for analysis. (Kinograms, superposition, motion extraction, etc)

4. Smoothed slow motion (image interpolation, needs .3)
5. Image stabilizer.
6. Image rotation.

7. External data overlayed on the image. (strength platform, pulse)
8. Specific functions for when the two videos are actually different views of the same scene.

9. Favorites folders, categories / search.
10. A System to index small sequences in a longer video.
11. A match sheet, or notes sheet, with customizable fields.

12. Drawings that persists over several frames.

Hello,

We talked about a few of the features I would like to see added in a previous thread, but here it goes:

First I like the features you show in your video.

1. DV Capture, recording in live. Not as important to me
2. Sound playback. Important
3. Special effects for analysis. (Kinograms, superposition, motion extraction, etc) Important

4. Smoothed slow motion (image interpolation, needs .3) Important
5. Image stabilizer. Important
6. Image rotation. Important

7. External data overlayed on the image. (strength platform, pulse) Important
8. Specific functions for when the two videos are actually different views of the same scene. Not as important to me

9. Favorites folders, categories / search. Important
10. A System to index small sequences in a longer video. Important
11. A match sheet, or notes sheet, with customizable fields. Important

12. Drawings that persists over several frames.

I will add:

13. A way to measure an angle

14. Different choices for drawing tool. Circles, Squares, Line sizes, etc...

15. Zoom feature, but that may be what you are talking about when you say magnifier

16. A way to smooth out the motion blur.

THanks for the work you are putting into this program,
Mike

Hi, and thanks for the feedback.
What would be fantastic is if you can express which sounds the most important to you, then the second most important, etc...
ie: 3, 2, 11, 5, etc.
Some of those functions will only be available in the long run, so it may be a good thing to have the absolutely necessary functions implemented first.

1:  14
2:  4
3:  2
4:  13
5:  12
6:  3

The rest can be in any order

Thanks,
Mike

"13. A way to measure an angle"

For a single frame, you should be able to do that using the Angle tool.
Or are you referring to something else ?

Thanks,

You are right. I was using it wrong. That covers what I need as far as an angle measuring tool.

Mike

Hi

My absolute priority would be #1, followed by 3/9/10 in no particular order.

Pete

8 (edited by Tampai 2008-12-07 20:29:42)

Hola

Yo practico Artes Marciales, y saber cuanto mide la linea, igual que se ven los grados del angulo seria de mucha importancia para la medida de la distancia de las posiciones.

gracias

Hi all,

My priority would be as follow:

- 12 but I hope it can move with a specific player automatically or can be easily modified to take a new position easily in the next frame

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

It will be taken into account when building the roadmap/features goals.
It turns out the priorities vary greatly from users to users...

@Tampai: Because of perspective it is not easy to give a meaningful value for line size.
As for the angle it will only be accurate if the line is on a perpendicular plane. But unlike angles, if you want to compare several line sizes, all lines would have to be on the exact same plane.
I think this is too much a constraint and will not be practical.
However, I'm considering using the new 3d grid to let the user define a reference plane. All angles and lines could then be computed relatively to this plane.

@mag: The "12" I had in mind will be included in a new 0.7.x release soon. However I think what you describe is more of an object tracking scenario. Putting a line and have it following an object on subsequent frames. This won't be in the very next release, I still need to have a stable/consistent tracking for single points first.

Priority
9. in a special sense: annotate, comment, keywords and so on to catalog many clips and to browser or search them using the thumbnail view
Add: or maybe its also meant by 10. & 11.: A way to print out a) catalog of clips with annotations... b) frames or sequenzes in a clever way, so that it can be used during presentations

i think that there should be no priority on capture functions. very often its hardware specififc and a lot of support will be needed to debug. ANY Video Hardware comes with a capture programm.

For me AVCHD support would make this a strong offering. Is this a possibility or would this be a big nut to crack?

Hi,

@jenki:
I don't think that capture should be deprioritized at all (it has been requested a lot):
Eventhough one can use the software bundled with the camcorder or say, Windows Movie Maker, these programs are lacking many features we will expect.
The most basic one would be the "delayed live", not present in those packages but very interesting in sport for self coaching and unattended feedback.
There is an hardware abstraction layer that most vendors follow, so I'm hoping that hardware support will not be too troublesome.

@neil:
For everything regarding video formats, Kinovea is 100% relying on the FFMpeg libraries set.
Fortunately the guys at FFMpeg are the ultimate gurus in this topic and if it's doable, they will do it.
It's actually very possible that the current versions of the libraries are already supporting AVCHD, it's been a while since I last checked. (Of course the current version of Kinovea is shipped with an older version of the libraries).

I would really like to see the motion tracking feature improved in release 0.8 so it is more accurate and consistent. Do you have a target date for the release of 0.8?

As for the 0.7.x series, there will be a lot of 0.8.x versions.
The early ones will be less stable and less featured than late ones.
As with previous versions, there will also be "experimental" versions and "stable" versions. (One change in release management will be that "experimental" ones will be openly available on the forum)

The first experimental 0.8.x version will probably be out in july. It will feature a few new stuff, usability improvements here and there, and some invisible ground work to prepare for the next big features.

As for trajectory tracking, the main issue is that the best parameters for a given tracking won't be the same for another.
(size of the template to match, size of the search window to look it up into, algorithm to compute the similarity between source and target, image preparation to improve the matching, etc.)

I haven't tried all variations (especially, I haven't tried to increase contrast or similar enhancements before performing the template matching)
I still welcome sample videos where it blatanly doesn't work. I have a few, but the more the better.

One solution would be to let the user set all these parameters, but that will obviously complexify the tool a great deal, so I'd rather find the optimal parameters that will suit almost every cases.