First of all thank you for a great program. I am new to the program and the forum. I am wondering if the program supports live feed with a cam such as the ps3eye at higher frame rates (125). As well is it possible to measure angles such as the launch angle of a golf ball. As a treaching tool ot would be nice to swing and capture the golf ball and measure the launch angle, speed etc. Is that possible or doable?

Thanks

There was some discussion about the PS3Eye a few weeks ago. I don't know if it works at the higher frame rates. Please try with 0.8.12 and report if it works or not.

You can add angles upon the capture screen to compare with a fixed value.
If you want to measure the exact angle you'll have to save the capture to a file and open it in a regular playback screen.

It works

That sounds very promising, what sort of frame rate and resolution can be achieved ?  Did you have any problems with the delay buffer filling up with any long delay on playback.

Asking lots of question because I am thinking of buying a PS3 eye camera if it works well.

Frame rates 125 fps. Very nice cam. What I would really like is a way to automatically and instantly use Kinovea to determine the launch angle by capturing enough frames of the ball flight and determining perhaps the speed and launch of the ball. You could have the program running at all times but will need a trigger to start recording. From there the captured frames can see the ball and determine the launch angle and speed. Is that possible with Kinovea as an open source? Does anybody out there have any experience with software development like this? PM me please if you do.

Hi,

i have the ps3eye too but can only set 640x480 at 30 fps or 320x 240 at 30 fps in kinovea capture mode. I have installed CL-Eye-Driver-4.0.2.1017. Can anyone please help me?

Cheers,
Sven

Same thing here. And the colours go really odd...Probably somthing with the cam, though...

8 (edited by joan 2011-02-23 17:41:48)

This alternate driver was mentioned in the other thread. Maybe it's more capable ?

edit: forget it, it's the same one apparently.

9 (edited by sven 2011-02-23 18:29:50)

Here is the solution: http://codelaboratories.com/forums/viewthread/117/P10/

But it is not possible to set other values, for example 30 fps. I have only two options (640x480@75 and 320x240@125).

Has anybody more values to choose?

It is possible to see 125 fps. Simply place the cley config file in the folder with the Kinovea exe file.
Anybody have any idea how we can modify Kinovea to allow for automatic launch angle and ball speed measurement?

11 (edited by Alexander 2011-02-25 07:45:53)

This is just a "simple" idea. Because the g-ball is launched from a fixed point, you can make a *.svg measuring grid with predrawn angles (accounting for free vertical fall) and speed lines (circles centered at the launch, the size of the grid is proportional to the FPS of your video). Put the start of the grid at the ball when you see the first movement then let´s say 5-10 frames (0,25s, 0,125s or less) from the launch you will see the ball at the angle AND distance travelled?  The accuracy of this simplified system should not differ much from the "pixel & delay" in the automated videocheck?

Alexander is that something you could write up a program for? That would be awesome if you could write this up. It would be a very valuable tool for many. How does one even go about designing this?

Hello Bubba. Not that complicated. The speed of a golfball is around 70m/s With an ordinary framerate of 30fps, the ball travels more than 2 meters. 60fps makes a frametravel of roughly a meter. If you are filming from an adequate distance, you could catch one frame of flight (including a reference measure). Applying an objectional reference, *.svg-grid of centered circles at the origin of flight (each radius representing a defined speed at that framerate: 0,2m->17m/s, 0,6m->51m/s aso.) and angular radii, one could estimate speed and angle at a glance...?

Is this something that can be easily included in the Kinovea software as an add on? Could you write something up for this to allow for the streak of the ball to be measured for launch angle and speed? Please let me know as I am very, very interested in this if one can possibly develop it.

sven wrote:

Here is the solution: http://codelaboratories.com/forums/viewthread/117/P10/

But it is not possible to set other values, for example 30 fps. I have only two options (640x480@75 and 320x240@125).

Has anybody more values to choose?

I have found the origin of this issue, but it is in external code. It will get fixed eventually, but not in the very next version.
It might impact other cameras too : only one configuration per image size is visible.