1 (edited by coachmattb 2011-04-17 00:45:39)

Has anyone else had this issue? Once I installed the PS3, I have been unable to use the native webcam. It (Sony Motion Eye) appears in the Device selection list but when I select it, it is ignored and changed to the PS3. I am running 8.13.

When I have the PS3 unattached, I receive a PS3 logo screen with NO CAMERA FOUND.

Matt

NOTE: just checked an older PC (Dell Inspiron 1520) running XP and Kinovea v 8.11 and did not have a problem finding the webcam

I've had somewhat similar issues actually, but not completely preventing the use of the camera…
The PS3Eye has this particular behavior that even if the webcam is not plugged in, it will answer as if it is and display the "No camera found" image.

Probably the issue has appeared with the auto reconnect mechanism. Your Sony Motion Eye might need a bit of time to connect (more than 1 second) such as it is initially considered "Disconnected" (Do you see this message ?), and Kinovea try to pick up the first available camera, which would be the PS3Eye.
I'll see if the reconnect mechanics can favor the camera that was actually connected.

PS: I'll delete the duplicate message in the other subforum.
PS2: I'm away from computer for the next week.

joan wrote:

I've had somewhat similar issues actually, but not completely preventing the use of the camera…
The PS3Eye has this particular behavior that even if the webcam is not plugged in, it will answer as if it is and display the "No camera found" image.

Probably the issue has appeared with the auto reconnect mechanism. Your Sony Motion Eye might need a bit of time to connect (more than 1 second) such as it is initially considered "Disconnected" (Do you see this message ?), and Kinovea try to pick up the first available camera, which would be the PS3Eye.
I'll see if the reconnect mechanics can favor the camera that was actually connected.

PS: I'll delete the duplicate message in the other subforum.
PS2: I'm away from computer for the next week.

Thanks Joan and yes, the message is "Disconnected" and yet in the upper left corner of the capture screen it reads "Sony ....." as if the device being used is the Sony webcam.

This issue might be fixed in the next version.

There was a problem with the device management in the sense that it was too quick to consider a camera disconnected. Now once we select the camera, the auto-reconnection mechanics will not be triggered until after we have effectively received the first frames.

In addition to this, in case of an actual disconnection, the auto-reconnection will try to use the camera that we were connected to, instead of defaulting to the first of the list.

I have one final glitch with my screen internal webcam though, it seems to use a resource shared with some other stuff because I can't use it in dual capture in combination with the PS3Eye or another USB webcam (but these last two have no problem going on together !). I don't think I can do anything at Kinovea level for this problem…

5 (edited by coachmattb 2011-04-25 11:59:05)

joan wrote:

This issue might be fixed in the next version.

There was a problem with the device management in the sense that it was too quick to consider a camera disconnected. Now once we select the camera, the auto-reconnection mechanics will not be triggered until after we have effectively received the first frames.

In addition to this, in case of an actual disconnection, the auto-reconnection will try to use the camera that we were connected to, instead of defaulting to the first of the list.

I have one final glitch with my screen internal webcam though, it seems to use a resource shared with some other stuff because I can't use it in dual capture in combination with the PS3Eye or another USB webcam (but these last two have no problem going on together !). I don't think I can do anything at Kinovea level for this problem…

Joan - judging by your comments I cannot use my webcam unless I remove the PS3?

I think with the recent changes (not released yet) you should be able to use every camera in turn without problem, even if they are all plugged in.

The problem I have is when I try to open two capture screens and try to simultaneously get 1. the screen camera and 2. the PS3Eye or the other USB webcam. In that case the second camera (PS3Eye or simple USB) stays black for some reason. If I combine the internal webcam with a DV camcorder it works with no issue.

After some more tries, it seems that it is an issue of USB. When I switch USB ports I have different results hmm
(As it's a desktop PC, my screen webcam is plugged to the PC through yet another USB cable)

To me this seem to be fairly specific to the internal webcam hardware/connectivity, so you may or may not experience the same issues…