I have a .mov file downloaded from the web. But when I loaded into Kinovea, the color is distorted very badly. However, Quicktime can play it without any problem. What is wrong.

Hi,
It can have several causes... Would you be able to provide a sample so I can have a look ?

Just send you the file to infos@kinovea.org. Hope you have an answer. Thanks.

Short anwser:

Will be fixed in next version.

Long answer:

I tried the file and reproduced the problem. Then I tried it in MPlayer and VideoLan, and got the same issue...
This generally means it's an issue in FFMpeg itself (the decoding library we all use) which is out of my league to fix.

I looked for topics related to errors on this specific codec and found some interesting posts on the subject.
The root cause is the little watermark in the bottom right corner, which is actually superposed in a metadata layer and modifies the way the file is encoded...
It turns out this was fixed in FFMpeg very recently.
I'm using the "unofficial builds for Windows" done by Ramiro Polla and he just made a release today ! (previous one was in august)
I integrated the new build and I can confirm that the problem is fixed. big_smile

All the credit goes to the FFMpeg developpers and the Windows builds manager. (This is definitley Open Source in motion smile)

Thanks. This is really a very good tool, and the best part is that it is Open Source!!!

Hmm... The bad news is that the FFMpeg update that fixed the problem on those videos also introduced several regression on other videos... (Some regular MOV files will simply not play.)
I haven't find the root cause of the problem and unfortunately I'll need to revert to the previous version of the lib for the time being.
(Argh. sad )
I'll try new versions as they come to see if the regression is somehow fixed.