Version 0.7.10 is now online !

Thanks for reporting any bugs (otherwise they can't be fixed wink)

Either in this topic, or in the bug tracker at www.kinovea.org/bugs

Thanks !
big_smile

I started using 0.7.10 and the new trajectory feature. I really like this new feature, especially for following the path of a golf club head and tracing the arc of the club. However, the feature seems buggy as it often loses track of the club head and makes an erratic trajectory, nothing like the original. Seems like the "target" tracking algorithm needs some tweaking, especially if you have a dark or all black object you are tracking. Also found a similar problem when tracking the motion that a bicyclist's heel/shoe makes while pedaling. For a full 360 pedal revolution, sometimes you get a very clean trajectory/tracing, other times it gets really erratic and loses the path.

Thanks for an excellent piece of software.

- ShermS

Just started using 0.7.10 and so am starting to find my way around.  Tried saving a analysis as the .mkv (Matroska) file type and nothing was saved.  I could easily have done something very basic quite wrong.
I have since gone back and this is what I have found so far.  I can save a single frame as a jpeg, I can save kva if it is part of the saving data and video together (the 4th choice of the save options) but in trying to open it even with Kinovea it returns as a "not valid Win32 file", any other type of file given as options when saving does not get saved (MP4, avi, mkv) including saving as a slide show.

In trying to save a file of any type (options are given) is there supposed to be an indicator/indication of some sort as to how the saving process is progressing?  Like a bar chart say that grows as the file is nearing being completely saved?

In trying to save the first file, above, nothing of that nature appeared and after a couple of minutes I just assumed the saving process was complete and then in closing the app I may not have allowed enough time to pass.  I certainly don't mind learning but working and then not knowing if the work has been saved or work not being saved will get frustrating very quickly!  If it starts as an avi file and is to be saved as a different file type one would assume there would be some time doing the conversion process.
The "second" time attempting I sort of doubt that time to convert is much of a factor as the video is just over a second long so whatever is done to it just should not take very long at all (to be safe I waited 10 minutes).

I am not what you would call the most adept working with computers but it almost feels like some codec issue, I mean there is more than one type of avi for example or that I am somehow missing a basic step in the process.

So far I would say quite good and I am sure usefulness will grow but it may become a matter of frustration growing more quickly.

Hi,

It definitely sounds like something went wrong. After you choose the name + format and hit save, there should be a progress bar reporting.
If something goes bad, there should be an error dialog box (I assume the error doesn't get caught here and vanish silently sad )

The whole process shouldn't take much longer than the time needed to read the video at its normal speed.

There is a known bug when trying to save back a selection which is not in "analysis" mode. (Which by default is when the selection is under 12 seconds) But that doesn't sound like your case.

The program embeds its own codecs and doesn't make use of the ones installed on the machine, so it shouldn't be a codec issue either.
The .kva file contains only the key images data (drawings, comments, etc.) and can be opened through the "Load Key Images Data" menu (after you've reopenned a video). It is ultimately a text file that you can open with notepad.

When you go back to the folder where you tried to save the file, is there something at all (like an empty file) ?
Do you have the writing rights to the target folder ? (under Vista for instance, you may not be able to write outside your own folders... but if you can write the .kva and single images that won't be the issue either...)

When I go back to the folder where I tried to save, there is nothing...something similar to what you describe has occurred before (downloading videos) but there has always been an empty file, I guess maybe an empty "container".  If I run into such issues I tend to use GSpot to double check and it has always turned up no contents either.  It just appears to be "gone".
The couple of times through I gave it a unique name so as to make searching for it as easy as possible, and the search function in
XP Pro (fully updated) does not find anything either (not that I put 100% faith in anything MS).

I have all rights and am the only one accessing this computer (if the thought was someone had switched preferences or similar).

The only other thing I thought it could be was the .NET framework.  I have no knowledge of this so not sure what "hints" to look for if it is not functioning properly (I read most of the FAQs)...BUT, if I recall correctly from the FAQ it mentions the 2.0 version specifically at some point;  the latest update, which is what I made sure was installed before downloading Kinovea, is listed on the MS website as 3.5 SP1

Something is definitely going "odd" here, a second posting from Mar 19/09 is MIA now too (in the forum) though that could have been me not submitting...anyway I did notice something strange on the time line that being randomly the sequential time "stamps" for key frames are out of sequence, for example the 10th and 100ths go :67>:70>:73>:30 and then later from :83>:87>:43>:93>:97.

I have since uninstalled Kinovea, cleaned up all the fragments left in registry (program not one by one), reinstalled Kinovea and now I can not even save the stills I could previously.

Grasping at straws...could it have been the VirtualDub work I did first?  dup field 1 and adjust contrast...

Hi, I'll try to answer your questions:

- It sounds like there is a bug in the saving function of Kinovea, no doubt about that.
- (At the very least it should pop an error)
- Depending on where it fails in the saving process, you might end up with : nothing, an empty file, or a corrupted file.
- I don't think any pre processing done by VirtualDub could be a problem: If you can read it, you should be able to save it.
- From what you describe I would think it is input dependant. Can you try with other samples ? (For exemple, try with the help video you get in Help > Video Tutorials)
- Reduce the selection to a about 3 seconds and try to save, is that ok ?

If you can confirm that it is dependant on the input video, I would be interested in getting a sample that makes the app behave badly. (joan at kinovea dot org)

- About time "stamps" under key images.
These aren't actually time stamps, they are the titles of the key image. (you can modify it through the "Show Comment" icon).
It so happens that by default, the key image title is set to its current time within the selection. So if you play with selection, you can get the behavior you describe.

(I should probably make all this clearer...)

Not being able to save the static pics is another problem, and one I didn't hear about before.
The only thing I can think of is writing rights to the output folder, but we already ruled that out.

Can you please enable logging ?
To do that you must go to the installation folder and edit the file "LogConf.xml".
At line 12, replace
<level value="INFOS" />
with
<level value="DEBUG" />

I'm not too sure if we'll get a better understanding, but you will find the log file (under XP) at the following location :
C:\Documents and Settings\[your windows user name here]\Application Data\Kinovea\log.txt
("Application Data" may be a hidden folder)

Then please send me the resulting log by mail and we'll try to sort this out.

Thank you, and sorry for the frustration.

Any thoughts or progress on the issues with the new Trajectory feature reported earlier in this posting? Has anyone else been able to reproduce the problem? If not, I can send the video clips I used.

Thanks,

- Sherm

Hi,
I agree the tracking algorithm needs some work to be more consistent in actually following the object being tracked.

Please consider it only as a help / shortcut to avoid doing all the positionning by hand :
Tracking something automatically succesfully in all cases can hardly be done due to possible masking from other objects in the scene, deformation, rotation etc.
The approach was to design it for manual tracking first, and then improving it with some automation.

I use it in this way: position the first target on the object, mouse scroll to move forward a bit, verify the tracking along the way, repeat.
Each time the tracking is lost, I come back to the point of loosing, delete the mistracked trajectory through "Delete trajectory after this point" menu, readjust manually and restart my scrolling routine.

All that being said, I'll definitely try to improve it so it's more useful and easy to use.

Joan,

Thanks for the response on the tracking algorithm. I will give your suggestions a try and see how they look. Hopefully I can also provide you with more feedback.

Thanks again for your time and efforts on this fine program.

Salutations,

- Sherm

RZHC wrote:

Just started using 0.7.10 and so am starting to find my way around.  Tried saving a analysis as the .mkv (Matroska) file type and nothing was saved.  I could easily have done something very basic quite wrong.
I have since gone back and this is what I have found so far.  I can save a single frame as a jpeg, I can save kva if it is part of the saving data and video together (the 4th choice of the save options) but in trying to open it even with Kinovea it returns as a "not valid Win32 file", any other type of file given as options when saving does not get saved (MP4, avi, mkv) including saving as a slide show.

In trying to save a file of any type (options are given) is there supposed to be an indicator/indication of some sort as to how the saving process is progressing?  Like a bar chart say that grows as the file is nearing being completely saved?

In trying to save the first file, above, nothing of that nature appeared and after a couple of minutes I just assumed the saving process was complete and then in closing the app I may not have allowed enough time to pass.  I certainly don't mind learning but working and then not knowing if the work has been saved or work not being saved will get frustrating very quickly!  If it starts as an avi file and is to be saved as a different file type one would assume there would be some time doing the conversion process.
The "second" time attempting I sort of doubt that time to convert is much of a factor as the video is just over a second long so whatever is done to it just should not take very long at all (to be safe I waited 10 minutes).

I am not what you would call the most adept working with computers but it almost feels like some codec issue, I mean there is more than one type of avi for example or that I am somehow missing a basic step in the process.

So far I would say quite good and I am sure usefulness will grow but it may become a matter of frustration growing more quickly.

Hi, I have the exact same problem.

I add lines and points (pencil)... (to a long video, many frames)...
I save (whatever the format) and at 53% the progress bar disappears with nothing else ...  when I open the saved file ... error.

Thanks,
LightRider

In any case, this Kinovea is simple to use and amazing in its features !

Hi,
There are several issues with saving, not all with the same causes, so it makes it a bit hard to manage.
I'll try to clear things up in a separated thread, and ask for more details on scenarios, etc. there.
Thanks.

edit: ok I've created the thread here.
To me, it sounds like your problem is not related to RZHC's one (which is the #1 from the other thread), but most probably #2.
See if the proposed workaround work or not.