another thing that seems to have been lost since ver 15 is the track path trail.  In v 8.15 the box forms around the point and when you end the path edition you can see the path, in v 20 and 21 the path trace does not seem to work as it did in v 8.15.

Hi,
The goniometer and all other custom tools' default color can be changed through the "Generic Posture" entry of the color profile manager.

thanks for clarifying that option for setting the color, that is a big help!

Hi Joan.  I simply love your software and really appreciate what you've created.  For version 0.8.21 I wasn't sure if you wanted feedback in this forum or in the other forum.   I downloaded 0.8.21 on my Windows 7 machine and have a couple of items I've noticed.  I've numbered each to make it easier to address them.

1) I have a video clip that I shot with a JVC camera at 300 fps.  When I set the high speed camera setting to 300 FPS the calculation performed compared to 30.03 fps at playback is 9x slower.  I'm sure it's a rounding issue but it should be 10x slower.

2) The video clip I loaded is 515 frames long.  When I play the clip and go for ~70 frames or longer and press either the left arrow or the go back to previous frame button the video will only go back for 5-16 frames then it won't go back any further.  If I click the Go back to the beginning button that function works fine but when I play the clip for some period of time I can only go back a handful or two of frames. There are even times when I'll slide the position slider all the way to the beginning of the clip but the video display doesn't change and stays on the last frame played and doesn't change until I hit the play button.  Other times the video plays in revers as I bring the slide to the first frame.

3) as a suggestion, is there a way to maximize the video other than grabbing the corners of the video?  When I grab a corner of the video and then stretch it out it goes about 95% of full screen - but no more than that.  I have to go release the mouse button then grab the corner again or go to another corner of the video to stretch it to the full window size. 

4) On the color profile can you add the ability to highlight what the current color and size is as well as providing the ability to make it persistent right from this screen.  For example, when I go to the color profile and set the color and size for a circle it I'm not sure what the current color shade or circle size is.  I have to do it by trial an error.  Also, setting the persistence for that shape in the color profile screen would also be a nice option.  If there is an individual shape that I want to change it on I can do it on a case by case basis or if I want the first 10 shapes to have persistence enabled then have the next 10 turned off it would be very easy to do so by the color profile screen.

5 Is it possible to have the tool selection constantly enabled until I disable it?  For example, I'm using the circle to highlight the bottom of a baseball bat.  After I make the circle and advance the clip 2 frames I'd like to make another circle just by clicking where I want it.  Currently, I have to go back to the tool bar and click the circle option each time I want to make a new circle.  Maybe when you click the tool option that is desired that tool is highlighted and the user has to click the tool again to disable it.

Again, this is a great tool and I can't tell you how much it's helped our kids in analyzing their sports videos.

Thanks for the feedback!

1) Yes it is probably a rounding or truncating issue, I'll look into it.

2) There is a number of factors that can yield these type of issues, mostly the video codec being H.264.
There is a frame buffer that preemptively loads the next few frames and remember a few of the previous frames so you should always be able to go back a few frames. After that, it depends on the codec and there are some complications with H.264 with mangled time positions. I have to dig deeper.

3) To maximize the video you can also double click the image.

4) Yes, having the current used color highlighted on the color picker would improve usability a lot.
I didn't thought about having the persistence options available from there. I have to think about it.
Note that you can also switch default persistence globally from the general options.

5) Actually it works like this already for most of the tools, like lines, points or pencil. Circle should probably follow the same pattern.

Thank you for your quick reply.  I wanted to reply sooner but I've been traveling.   I'm using #3 and it's great!  As for #4, one of the drawbacks on a global persistence option is that there are many cases I want some items I put on the video to be persistent while there are others that I don't' want to be persistent.  An example that I have is when I'm analyzing a baseball swing.  I like putting a circle every few frames over the baseball and I always want that image to be visible to show the path of the ball.  Similarly, I place arrows on top of the bat every few frames to show the direction of the bat I only want it visible ever few frames so the screen doesn't get too crowded. At 300 frames per second that's a lot of editing that I need to do to the persistence.  However, if I could set the persistence for each shape independently that would be a big time saver.   

Is it possible to have the circle make a smaller diameter? It seems that the size adjustments are thickness of the lines and overall diameter but the diameter is still pretty large.  Half or quarter of the current size would be nice

I'm still using the experimental version 0.8.21 and ran into a few new problems.  I am using a JVC Everio camera at 300fps that saves the files in .mts format.  First, I attempted to synchronize two .mts clips but when I hit the synchronize button the clip on the left jumped backward about 2 frames.  When I tried to use the back frame button it only worked for 1 frame then stopped having any effect. The videos just wouldn't synchronize.   

A few minutes later I started having issues where when I open a clip and double click on it to maximize it I receive the error: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information".  This continued for all the videos I tried to load.  I had to reboot.  The program worked fine for the first 3 videos but the same issue happened on the 4th video.  This was a different video than when the problem occurred earlier. 

I also notice that the pointer that shows your position in the clip isn't moving while the video is playing but does appear when I hit pause/stop.  In earlier versions I always remember the pointer moving as the film progressed.   

Finally, the back 1 frame button sometimes doesn't work at all or sometimes it will back up 1 frame then stop working.

22 (edited by coachgeo 2014-03-04 18:57:48)

Like the keyboard shortcuts etc. you added.  Reality is that it is hard as hell to keep up with technology.  Keyboard short cuts are disappearing as fast as keyboards.  Touch screen is the way things are going.  Just something to keep in mind.  For example a laptop is not usable in the environment where I use kinovea.  It must be a tablet format.  With phone use and Ipads running programs like V1-Golf, Coaches Eye etc this is most likely going to become the expectation on how things work.  Me I cant afford those tools.  so its a 4yr old pen style PC tablet  lol. 

Note: V1 Golf and Coaches Eye is now out on Win8 and coupled with what everyone expects that computers will all be heading toward which is touchscreen usage.....??? Granted programs mentioned above have nothing on the science end of analysis that Kinovea has but that is the beauty of Kinovea....... it could easily be a day to day teaching tool as well as a more sit down in  your personal lab movement science tool.

One issue with using the keyboard during synchronization seems to be that the common controls at the bottom don't get the keyboard events. If you place the mouse over one of the two screens it should work better. I'll fix this for the next version anyway.

cmdi035 wrote:

A few minutes later I started having issues where when I open a clip and double click on it to maximize it I receive the error: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information".  This continued for all the videos I tried to load.

Ouch… Could you send me the log files please, there should be more detailed info on the cause of the problem.

Hi, me again. I just test Kinovea with my new camera with 60 frames Full HD and works fine. I have a question about adding some new lines and arrows in Kinovea but I do not know how to post you the images. Do you have some another mail where I can attach a few images for you.

Thanks in advance,

Yours sincerely,

Dejan

joan at kinovea dot org.

Dear Joan,
do you receive my mail with arrows?

Greetings,

Dejan

Hello, I have a problem in kinovea 08.21, because horizontal angle not working. What I should do?. Thanks

samfuen wrote:

Hello, I have a problem in kinovea 08.21, because horizontal angle not working. What I should do?. Thanks

Hello,
I assume you are referring to the "Angle to Horizontal" tool. I reproduce a problem where moving the central point causes the drawing to disappear (reference line collapse to a single point). Is it the problem you are experiencing as well ?
Strangely enough the Angle to Vertical tool is not affected. I'll see where the problem is.

I uploaded a fixed version of the tool (it is dynamically loaded at run time).
Please check this dedicated topic.

Yes, that was the problem I had, now works correctly.
Thanks for the support Joan.