1 (edited by joan 2013-11-12 17:26:23)

Experimental version feedback needed ! wink
Beware of regressions and report anything suspicious. Do not assume the issue is known.

Installer: Kinovea.Setup.0.8.21.exe

Highlights:

General
- Catalan and Serbian (latin) locales.
- Keyboard shortcuts can be customized.

Capture
- New "cameras" panel.
- Common controls in capture.
- New viewport (drawings outside image, movable image, better zoom).

Analysis
- Video pagination (jump by 10% or 1% increments).
- Human model tool with center of mass.

The raw changelog is here.

I did a video to highlight the changes:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8aZCaNOiqs[/video]

Thanks!

As I am the new at Forum, I can suggest that you make the Magnifier can be visible for some amount of time - seconds in an existing video clip.
Thanks in advance

Dejan

Hi,
The magnifier expected behavior is to stay visible until you explicitly hide it. Are you experiencing it differently ?

For example, I wish to put magnifier on left corner and to be visible for example,  5 second than to be turnd off until I put the magnifier on another point. Like controled picture in picture.

Hi Joan

Some really nice improvements :-)
Only glitches I've found so far are that the "Delay" on the capture screen with English selected is in French - decalage - and there aren't any tooltips popping up from the record/snapshot/preference boxes
I'll try to strain it a bit more but not pushed anything else out yet!

Many thanks

Mike

Hi, nice program indeed.

Unfortunatelly experimental versions are very unstable, even the latest one 8.21.

Some bugs that I have found so far (ver. 8.21, Win7 64bit):
- capture do not work at all
- no frame by frame possibility in two playback screen mode using arrow keys left and right (sometimes works, usually not)
- sometimes program lost sync point in two playback screen mode

Ver. 8.15 is stable enough and nice worktool, thanks for that!

Thanks for the feedback!

@Amus:

capture do not work at all

Can you be more specific ? Do you have an error message ? Do you see thumbnails of your cameras in the cameras panel ? What camera brands/model do you have ?

no frame by frame possibility in two playback screen mode using arrow keys left and right (sometimes works, usually not)

I can't reproduce the problem for now. Is there anything special about the videos ?

sometimes program lost sync point in two playback screen mode

Can you pinpoint a scenario leading to the loosing of the sync point ?

Thanks

8 (edited by Amus 2013-11-10 11:11:57)

Capture problem solved:
First Kinovea didn't find my webcams (Logitech C525). I uninstall Kinovea and install it again, now it works fine. Don't know why?

Frame by frame problem:
I use a lot frame by frame playback using arrow keys. In one screen mode arrow keys works as they should.
In two screen mode I can't move both screen together using arrow keys. I've try change keyboard commands in preferences panel but no luck. Sometimes it works a bit but usually not. At the same time slider in the common controls don't move.
Sometimes ver. 8.21 lost the sync point if I try go forward or back frame by frame using arrow keys.
I found this problem only if I use arrow keys. In ver. 8.15 arrow keys works flawless.

Videos are avi-files, straight from the camera (Casio)

9 (edited by songtitle 2013-11-19 22:14:35)

Hi Joan,

'Save a Sequence of Images' doesn't work as expected in 8.21 (edit: I see this doesn't work in 8.15 either)

I have stopwatch on for frame counts.

I click 'save a sequence', then drag the 'frequency' all the way to the left.  (However, the most is 1 every 4 hundreths, 30fps is 3.333)

There are 43 frames on screen.  The 'save a sequence' box says it will output 36 frames.  It actually saves 22 frames - every other image/frame, numbered as image-01, image-03, etc.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?  I have tried using different 'Motion,High Speed Camera,fps' settings with no luck.

Edit 2: This depends on the type of AVI in the original source file.  If using YTD youtube downloader, the source AVI file will not allow proper 'save as sequence of images' capability.  If the original source AVI, came from AviScreen uncompressed 30fps, it does work.

Hi Joan,
I've downloaded the 0.8.21, no problem at all with the 0.8.20. Now when I try to open the files I used to be able to play (.mpg) , the software comes out with this message
"Failure: Unable to open the file: stream information not found"
Thanks
Daniele

Hi, I have XP and no any problems with 0.8.15 , I want to try 0.8.21 and I can't even open the program "error opening specific file or folder"

Another thing I like to mention when I'm already here, like "dekigr" said , we realy would like that magnifier could be visible for some sequence of time on video and than disapear (and that video could be save with this effect on). Now it's good for analizing some sequence but in video motion (i use it for some sport recordings- snooker exactly), we need in one point of whole video to magnifie some detail and after that scene goes some other way, but we would like that can save whole recording with magnifier of some special detail in some particular scene. Actualy, we need persistence tool on magnifier too.

And when I mention persistence smile. Now I maybe talk about something which is already changed but I don't know it cause I can't see new version. Text could be put on for all time of video... or for persistance of maximum 200 pics (few seconds). Many things could be made with Kinovea if this could be change in one of two ways; Either that you can change text in some point of frozen video so that you have one text for some time and then text change in particular point of time that we need. Another (perhaps easiest way of programing) is to be like it is now, but that we can start text in one key image and hold it to another key image, in that point we can open another text with starting point  etc.... Why thisis important? With this little improvement Kinovea actualy can become really good "Video Overlay Scoreboard!" . In the light of snooker recordings, camera is always static and we can easily put on amateur recordings overlay with names, state of frames and results  down the bottom line... but there's no option to change result through the frame. It' not hard for me to do it "hard way" and actaly change text box after every ball is potted. But there's no way to save recording with previous text boxes , and save all changes through the video. I belive that manny amateur sports could use Kinovea like overlay scoreboard with this posibility.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

1. Windows XP : note that the new version needs .NET 3.5. I think I forgot to mention it. Maybe that's the problem.

2. Magnifier: If I understand the need, it would mean to turn the magnifier into a regular drawing tool, that can have a persistence. I like this idea because currently it is a special tool and that means specific code in a few places which is not ideal.

3. Changing text: Interesting idea. Being able to keep 100% opacity between two key images would be interesting for all drawings actually, not just text, but at the moment I don't know how to have a simple user interface for this. The persistence dialog is already not very intuitive, I don't want to add complexity to it.

Having the text tool able to hold different texts depending on the time could be done too. But similarly, it must not add complexity to the existing text tool (basic tools must stay basic). So maybe a menu like "Multitext" that needs to be activated. When activated the persistence is switched to "always visible" and there are new menus to create and delete sections inside the text tool timeline. When you modify the text value, only the value of the section is impacted. Some sort of visualisation of the sections would be more user friendly.

After some thinking having persistence opaque between two key points would probably be the best option but both needs careful user interface design…

13 (edited by Max 2013-12-13 12:35:10)

Hi, Joan

I'm very greatfull for your fast feedback and real answers. I can see that you realy trying hard to improve this fantastic software and really hearing and thinking about all our needs. Just go on, mate. Good job.

About magnifier, you understand good, but actually our need is that we can SAVE recording of video with magnifier which is prompt in same point of video and disapear after that. That's the main problem. We can switch it off after we don't need it so pesistance is no big deal ... but then theres no magnifier on save video. (And there's no way to put more than one magnifier point on one video)

About changing text, your idea of "Multitext tool" is fabulous... but I understand that you try to make simple programing isues as possible, so I think too that "key points" should be base of everything like name of the tool said. If every tool can be put on from one key point to another and than again, and all of that tools are persist on save video, and we can put as many key points as we need... I think that this resolve many isues and needs, including changing text and overlay scoreboard posibility. So, I agree, persistence option between two key points for all tools would be fantastic. Thanks again for all your effort.

Hi Joan,

yes, I mean that the magnifier can be a regular drawing tools and can be visible for a specified amount of time. Also I think that you can put as a drawing tools a text strip runnig in the bottom of  sequence for example " name of action or similar" transparent or not. Thanks in advance.

Dejan

Hi Joan, a nice add in would be to have all tools show up in the color profile dialogue.  Right now the goniometer tool does not and he default green is not a great colour.  All standard tools should show up in this dialogue but in v 20 and 21 the goniometer does not.
Ron