Deinterlacing videos

You have interlaced video when you can see the annoying scan lines artifacts.
For sports with great dynamics, it can quickly become a huge problem :

http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/mockups/interlacedball.jpg

Hopefully one day the function will be implemented directly in Kinovea...
In the meantime, you can use VirtualDub and apply a deinterlacing filter on the videos. There are more advanced methods, but I find this one simple and efficient enough for my needs.
VirtualDub is an awesome open source tool for simple and fast video editing, you can download current version here: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

1. Convert to .mpg or .avi if needed. (VirtualDub will only accept those formats.)
- If the file plays fine in Kinovea (except for the interlacing artifacts of course), you can try to save it back to AVI. (File => Save video or Key Images Data)
- Otherwise this depends on the format you're starting with. Your camcorder software suite may provide a tool to perform the conversion.
- For JVC .mod files, apparently you can simply rename them to .mpg. This will avoid loosing quality during the saving process.

2. Deinterlace
- Open your video in VirtualDub. Go to Video => Filters, click Add, choose the deinterlace line and OK.
- You use the "Blend Fields together" option choosen for a smoothing of the artifact.
- If you have a massive shift of an object between the half frames like in the above picture, you may want to try the "Duplicate Field 1" option.
- The right hand panel of VirtualDub should now have the deinterlaced video. (Left hand panel has your original video).

3. Reencode
- Click Video => Compression.
- Choose your preferred codec for reencoding. (I'd use XviD) This step depends on the video codecs installed on your computer.
- Do the same for audio if you want. (Audio => Compression) or choose No Audio.
- Choose File => Save as AVI and save to a new file.

You should now have a deinterlaced version of your video.
The best option is always to use the progressive mode of your camcorder if it has one.

Please report any issue in the comments.

You can use virtualdubmod if you want to deinterlace .mpg-files directly.

Hi !
Thanks for the tip.
That reminds me I wanted to take a look at that problem. big_smile

I have added a basic deinterlacing option (Thanks to ffmpeg developpers !)

Available in the new release (0.7.6) through menu "Image -> Deinterlace".

Great work Joan