Will there be an update for Kinovea to allow use with .NET framework 4.0 and if so, when is this likely to be available?

We are using Kinovea for video analysis at a local football club, but our laptop has just died completely. We're looking at purchasing a new one, but have been advised there is little point shelling out for a machine with Windows 8, only to downgrade to .NET framework 3.5. It seems this may pose other issues with regards to functionality within the OS as well. The overal advice was not to go with W8 if we need to use Nf 3.5/Kinovea.

So we started looking at ordering a laptop with Windows 7 instead, which would solve the current issues. However, we are reluctant to do this if an update is likely to be available within a few months, leaving us with a lesser machine/OS.

On the flip side, it would be silly to go with W8 if there is no chance of an update any time soon, but we can wait if this is in the offing........

We would be really grateful for your advice/confirmation. Thank you very much

I'll build a version targetting .NET 4.0 and run some checks and publish it if it's fine. I'd prefer to do this for the experimental version only though (0.8.20, not 0.8.15).
(If I didn't get back with news by sunday please bump this thread).

badger wrote:

We're looking at purchasing a new one, but have been advised there is little point shelling out for a machine with Windows 8, only to downgrade to .NET framework 3.5. It seems this may pose other issues with regards to functionality within the OS as well. The overal advice was not to go with W8 if we need to use Nf 3.5/Kinovea.

It wouldn't be a downgrade, you'd just install it side by side. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

I admit I don't have a Windows 8 machine to try with right now, but I don't quite understand the advice given by the vendor…

Thanks for your help Joan.

It's all a bit beyond us to be honest, but that link is really helpful. I have printed it and plan to show it to the tech guy. Fingers crossed, this could be the answer we were looking for!

BUMP

Any news on the .NET 4.0 version?
Thanks

Sorry, I didn't have time to look into it. Will do!

Hi,
Some complications I hadn't considered.
As you might know, Kinovea builds upon third party open source libraries for various aspects. To create a pure .NET 4.0 build, I need to have all these references in pure .NET 4.0 as well.

At the moment, this means : AForge.NET, EmguCV, ExpTreeLib, SharpZipLib, log4net and SharpVectorGraphics.
As far as I am aware, none of these projects have ready made pure .NET 4.0 builds.
They all share source code of course, so I could rebuild them myself to be pure 4.0, but at the moment I'm not convinced that it's the right approach.

Are you sure none of the application you will use on this machine will need .NET 3.5 as well ?
Please double check with your vendor about his arguments regarding not installing older versions of the .NET framework on Windows 8.
Meanwhile, I'll try to get to a Windows 8 install and do the test.