Hi,

we are using Kinovea for a thumb movement study. We are working with advices such as a game controller, a normal pen and a smartphone (iPhone 5s). Beginning with our recordings we realized the tracking is irritated by many disruptive factors especially while working with the smartphone. The tracking is very inconsistent which is why we search for help to improve the tracking. With your experience, can you help us with some suggestions. p.e. improve the light ore use different markers?

I tried to add a video of our work to this post to demonstrate our problem but I wasn't able to add it. So if you could send me an email adress I may send the video to, I will do so.

Thanks four your help!
Maren

Hi,
Yes good markers will go a long way to improve tracking, especially in case of complex background.

If you are not using version 0.8.22 already then I suggest you try it because it lets you can change the size of the tracking windows (object window and search window).

For the marker design themselves, if size permits, you can use two concentric black and white rings, a bit like an archery target only with black and white stripes. The ring shape is to make them invariant to rotation.

If the video is already on YouTube you can add it like this for example:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20wOlps_Nj0[/video]

The experimental 0.8.22 version improves a lot the tracking by the use of adapted tracking and searching windows. Maren, try using it and report your feedback and this post. I will follow it.