1 (edited by fajitas 2018-01-16 12:54:27)

Hi,

I'm new here and just started using Kinovea, but I'm already a fan.

So far, I've only loaded videos from youtube (Youtube Video Downloader for Chrome, mp4 format) and that worked great.
Now I was handed some 5y old wmv files (raw's not available anymore, would have to ask permission before sharing here) which play fine in the VLC media player but Kinovea throws the following error:

---------------------------
Kinovea - Loading Error.
Failure: Unable to open the file : inconsistencies found. Please check encoding process.
OK   

I'd be surprised if I'm the first one asking about this, but I used the forum's search field as well as google with the query

site: http //www.kinovea.org/en/forum loading error inconsistencies

with no success.

Any help appreciated!

Hi,
Yeah, I haven't seen this error in a while. It happens when the loading process manages to load the file, but then when it attempts to decode the first frame something bad happens.

The exact error can be seen in the log (you can get to the log from the Help menu).  It should be either "First frame couldn't be loaded" or "First frame loaded but negative timestamp", which would be my guess. In the code I have added a comment that some AVCHD files exposed the second behavior. This negative timestamp breaks a lot of things down the line for the timekeeping and so it is not supported. I think it's an encoder issue. The first timestamp shoud be zero. Some files have a positive first timestamp which Kinovea tries to work with as well. I haven't seen reports on this lately so most likely the encoder that was producing these files is either not used anymore or has been fixed.

Thanks for the fast reply and activating my account Joan!

My log file says:

828 - INFO  - [1] - RootKernel - Kinovea version : 0.8.15, (Experimental)
838 - INFO  - [1] - RootKernel - .NET Framework Version : 2.0.50727.8669
838 - INFO  - [1] - RootKernel - OS Version : Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
838 - INFO  - [1] - RootKernel - Primary Screen : {Width=1920, Height=1080}
839 - INFO  - [1] - RootKernel - Virtual Screen : {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080}
8852 - ERROR - [1] - PlayerScreenUserInterface - First frame couldn't be loaded - aborting

So it's the first behavior, that you described.

Is there any hope I will be able to load these videos into Kinovea?

Thanks again for your help!

Try to load the file in Kinovea 0.8.26 from the download page, it has a lot of updates, including in the loading library.

It works in 0.8.26!
Thank you so much Joan!