Hi I have recently found this product and have installed in onto my Windows Vista Laptop however when I try to open some video clips that I shot with my Panasonic Video Camera I get an error in Kinovea I have pasted the error dump below.

I thought that it may be a problem with my Vista install so I tried the same on my Wifes Vista Laptop and got the same error , so I tried on a Windows XP laptop with the same Video file and it worked fine. This seems to happen for all .MPG or .MOD files that I have shot with my Video Camera if I try and open files that I have been emailed or downloaded then it seems to work OK. Although it does not seem to open WMV files correctly it seems to think there is no video in them or shows a very short under 1 second clip then loops.

My Laptop is a HP nx7400
Intel Core 2 T5600 @ 1.86Ghz
4Gb Memory
350Gb Hard Disk with 60Gb Free

OS is Vista 32Bit Sp1

Any Help would be appreciated as this looks to benefit our Academy hugely.

Error Dump Below:

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. if you click Continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at sws_scale(SwsContext* , Byte** , Int32* , Int32 , Int32 , Byte** , Int32* )
   at VideaPlayerServer.PlayerServer.RescaleAndConvert(AVFrame* _pOutputFrame, AVFrame* _pInputFrame, Int32 _OutputWidth, Int32 _OutputHeight, Int32 _OutputFmt, Boolean _bDeinterlace)
   at VideaPlayerServer.PlayerServer.GetNextFrame(Int64 _iTimeStampToSeekTo, Int32 _iFramesToDecode)
   at Videa.ScreenManager.PlayerScreenUserInterface.ShowNextFrame(Int64 _iSeekTarget, Boolean _bAllowUIUpdate)
   at Videa.ScreenManager.PlayerScreenUserInterface.PostLoadProcess(Int32 _iMovieLoadResult, String _FilePath)
   at Videa.ScreenManager.CommandLoadMovie.DirectLoad()
   at Videa.ScreenManager.CommandLoadMovie.Execute()
   at Videa.Services.CommandManager.LaunchCommand(ICommand command)
   at Videa.ScreenManager.CommandLoadMovieInScreen.Execute()
   at Videa.Services.CommandManager.DoCurrentCommand()
   at Videa.Services.CommandManager.LaunchUndoableCommand(IUndoableCommand command)
   at Videa.ScreenManager.ScreenManagerKernel.DropLoadMovie(String _FilePath, Int32 _iScreen)
   at Videa.ScreenManager.ThumbListView.ThumbListViewItem_LaunchVideo(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Videa.ScreenManager.ThumbListViewItem.ThumbListViewItem_DoubleClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

2 (edited by joan 2009-07-27 20:50:17)

Hi,
I have added the issue to the bug tracker here.
It would be great if you could send a small sample file so I can try and understand the issue by reproducing it locally. (to joan at kinovea dot org, under 3MB in size please).

Thanks for your testing on various system, it will certainly help the diagnosis.

Edit:Sample received, thanks.

Hi, a quick follow up.

Analysis:
- As stated, the file crahes on Vista (and on Windows 7 too by the way) but not on XP.
- The file is anamorphic (the image size is 704×576 which translates to 11×9 whereas the asked ratio for display is 16×9.) but this should be otherwise supported.
- The problem only occurs for these file type, other anamorphic files tested are OK under Vista and 7.
- The problem doesn't occur if we discard the fact that it's anamorphic and simply load it as 704×576.

Root cause:
- Unknown at this point. Given the above, the issue may be in the ffmpeg library (file formats and codecs) which I honestly rather use as a black box.

Fix:
- Not a fix per se, but a workaround. When the first reading fails and we detect that we are in anamorphic mode, we discard this and re-read back in normal mode.

What this means is that it shouldn't crash anymore, but the video will look stretched vertically.
This workaround will be available in the next experimental version.

Hi Joan thanks for the feedback.

When will the version with the fix be available ?

I think I know what may have caused this issue , My Camera a panansonic hard disk model does not set the Widescreen flag correctly so I have to download my video from the camera using an App called SDCopy , I am guessing this is messing the video's tagging up somewhere along the line would it be useful to have a MOD file that is straight from the camera ?

Thanks

Dave.

dcapps wrote:

When will the version with the fix be available ?

I'll try to get it out for august 10th but I can't promise anything.

dcapps wrote:

would it be useful to have a MOD file that is straight from the camera ?

Yes, if you can, the more file type I can test with, the more chances to fully understand the problem.
Do the files coming straight from the camera crashes too ?
I just downloaded SDCopy, I'll experiment with it when time permits.

Thanks.

Please try 0.8.1 version and report if it handles the crash, thanks smile

(I haven't had time to play with SDCopy yet.)