For reference: I am analyzing videos that have 15-20 min of hockey drills in them or an entire period of a game, and I analyze short portions of the drills or moments in the game so the kids can see what they need to correct.

While I am working with videos in Kinovea I generally go through the video and add key images to all of the moments I want to highlight for a specific skater or moment in a game. I then step through these key images and add arrows, text and spotlights as needed to highlight what I am wanting to show or demonstrate.

Once I have exported the analyzed video for that specific moment with "Pauses on Key Images" I then remove all of the key images and move on to another part of the video to analyze.

The only items that are not being removed when deleting the Key Images are the spotlights, is this by design or a bug?

Thank you.

Drew Read

I will also add that the spotlights don't seem to be following the number of frames set in Options>> Preferences...>> Drawings Tab >> Number of frames to fade in/out the drawing

At least not after a change without restarting the program (will test that after I am done today's work.)

Drew Read

3 (edited by joan 2019-11-28 18:05:15)

Hi,
A number of drawings are "owned" by the keyframe they are added to, and others are video-level objects. The following are video-level: stopwatches, trajectories, spotlights, auto-numbers. Some other tools are special like the coordinate system and magnifier.

Yeah the persistence/fading needs some work. It was simplified at some point to make the code easier to manage but now it's a bit lacking in features. The drawings will use whatever option was set in the preferences when they were added, and then they are stored with this value so you can't really change it afterwards.

Internally the fading in/out model is more capable though, it's able to fade for any number of frames around the insertion point, or even have a period of time where it's fully opaque and only fade around these boundaries, this is used for example in the next version to support subtitles import. The issue is one of user interface at the moment, I need to find a good way to expose these features that isn't as confusing as the dialog box there once was.

Edit: you're right, the spotlight is a special case, it's using a hard coded value and doesn't honor the fading option.

4 (edited by drewread 2019-11-28 20:34:41)

joan wrote:

Yeah the persistence/fading needs some work. It was simplified at some point to make the code easier to manage but now it's a bit lacking in features. The drawings will use whatever option was set in the preferences when they were added, and then they are stored with this value so you can't really change it afterwards.

I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to deal with this, but in the properties for each item an infade and outfade box in frames would be fantastic. Perhaps with a radio button so you can return to default timing if you want?

This would be a major improvement for what I am trying to do, I could time every in and out for every item if I wanted to, otherwise just the default time would be used.

Drew Read