1 (edited by joan 2020-07-04 18:47:24)

This is Kinovea 0.9.3.

This version builds upon the previous improvements in the capture side of things and brings more usability tweaks for annotating videos.

-------------------------------
Edit: this topic was originally created for version 0.9.2 but now links to version 0.9.3 of the installer and archive, fixing a few important issues that were found with 0.9.2. The description below lists the changes compared to version 0.9.1.
------------------------------

Many thanks to everyone reporting bugs and helping with the testing!
As always this post highlights the main updates, please check the changelog for a more exhaustive list.

1. Capture metadata and camera rotation

When capturing a camera Kinovea will now save a .KVA file alongside the recorded video. This file will be used by the player to read metadata that can't be saved in the file. In particular, timing information will be automatically "corrected" for high speed cameras, and the time origin (time "0") will be set to be the recording trigger event.

The camera screen now supports image rotation and this information will also be added to the captured videos. If you need to set your camera sideways or upside down this is now a fully supported scenario.

2. New capture mode: Retroactive

Up until now when capturing video from a camera, the frames were added to the output file on the fly, continuously, until recording was stopped. With the "Camera" recording mode the frames go straight from the camera to the file, in real time. With the "Delayed" recording mode the frames are taken from the delay buffer at the current delay.

The new recording mode leverages the delay buffer differently: it waits until the recording duration is reached and then copies all the frames from memory to the file in a single operation.

This approach is only workable if your final video fits entirely in memory. If you can work within this constraint this mode will be much more efficient and should allow you to take advantage of your camera's most hardcore settings.

To use this feature you can do the following:

• In Options > Preferences > Recording > Recording mode and delay, check "Retroactive".

• With this mode it is no longer necessary to use the "Record uncompressed video" option if you prefer not to.

• Adjust the allocated memory to allow for the duration of your target video to fit entirely in memory.

• Use the capture screen normally: start and stop recording manually or via audio trigger and automated max duration.

At the end of the recording period the camera will be paused for a bit while the program is actually exporting the video.

3. New Camera type: Daheng Imaging

Kinovea now supports a third type of machine vision cameras with the introduction of a module supporting Dahing Imaging cameras.

You can learn more about these cameras and check their specs at https://www.get-cameras.com/

Many thanks to get-cameras for providing a camera and technical support!

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.9.2/092-daheng.png

4. Lens distortion calibration

For videos that were recorded by cameras with a lot of lens distortion like GoPros, you can go to menu Tools > Camera calibration.

This dialog has been reworked to be interactive. Film a flat grid like a chessboard and play with the variables, especially distortion coefficients k1 and k2, to adjust the grid so that it matches the image. 

This is obviously only an approximated fit but the idea is to make it much easier for anyone using these cameras to get decent measurements compared to not calibrating at all.

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.9.2/092-distortion.jpg

5. Linear coordinate system

The line-based coordinate system is now responding in real time to changes in the line used to calibrate it. This also means we can use this to define a rotated coordinate system without resorting to the quadrilateral calibration.

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.9.2/092-coordinatesystem.gif

6. Drawings visibility

The option to control each drawing’s visibility independently from the others has been restored and enhanced. It’s now possible to setup the drawing so that it stays fully visible for a while before fading out.

https://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.9.2/092-configurefading.png

Thanks!

Don't hesitate to post feedback, questions, feature requests and bug reports! You can do this either in this thread or create new dedicated threads.

What about audio support? I contacted you years ago, mentioning that without audio this tool is useless for interaction research, where it could really be a big tool.

3 (edited by covelera 2020-06-15 17:15:04)

Windows 10 did not like it because it was not signed.  After downloading anyway got initial screen and then it crashed.

Rick

Update :  Install problem was when I installed 9.2 over 9.1.  When 9.2 was installed in a separate directory it worked fine.
               Thanks again ....

Hello Joan,

Thanks for the release and the work!

Since a few releases (since 0.8.27 I think) Kinovea tends to crash when I open H.265 videos from my Samsung NX-1 in full HD 1080p 120fps.

Also, would it be possible to extend the usable playback analysis mode memory in options to more than 1GB?

It would be of great help for high speed sport vids analysis. I found a way to change this by editing the preferences file, but then accessing options in the UI results in a crash.

Thanks & regards,
Nick

covelera wrote:

Windows 10 did not like it because it was not signed.  After downloading anyway got initial screen and then it crashed.

I couldn't reproduce this here on my machines. The crash is probably because the system has prevented the main program to load a DLL. I'm not sure what the short term solution to this is. I'll look again into code signing certificates for open source projects.

Campi wrote:

Since a few releases (since 0.8.27 I think) Kinovea tends to crash when I open H.265 videos from my Samsung NX-1 in full HD 1080p 120fps.

Could you send a small sample (<5MB) at joan at kinovea dot org please?

Campi wrote:

Also, would it be possible to extend the usable playback analysis mode memory in options to more than 1GB?

Ah damn, I forgot to change this… I agree this limit is ridiculous now.

Regarding code signing, this is important and I will address it as soon as possible.
Unfortunately the only option that will fully get rid of the Windows defender SmartScreen filter is more than $300/year.
The standard validation is around $50 to $100/year but it will still show the warning and the user has to click on "More info" and bypass the warning for the system to trust the program.

covelera wrote:

Update :  Install problem was when I installed 9.2 over 9.1.  When 9.2 was installed in a separate directory it worked fine.

Thanks for following up on this! I found the issue and fixed it.

Hi,

When I use a line for calibration, the coordinate system tilts with this line.
Is it possible that the line-based coordinate system remains horizontal after calibration?

Thanks!

I published a new version and changed the links in the original post. This update addresses a few important points, mainly 1. the crash at launch when installed over version 0.9.1 and 2. the inability to increase the memory buffer in the player.

Please continue to report any problem here.
Thanks!

11 (edited by Dr.Dank 2020-07-17 21:57:52)

Hi Joan,

First of all, thank you for Kinovea and for all the support you give it. The problem I'm having is that some of the trajectories exported to Excel are multi-valued. That is, they have multiple rows with the same value of t. I emailed you an example. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the sample, I can reproduce the issue right away. Already when advancing in the video there is a problem in the timestamps. It looks like after some point the timestamp is repeated and the next one is skipped. I'm not sure where this is coming from. I get the timestamp from the video decoding library.

As a temporary work around you could use the Tools > Linear kinematics window to export the data instead of Export to spreadsheet. The Linear kinematics window is newer and eventually the Export to spreadsheet function will be re-implemented on top of it. However this only lets you export one measurement at a time.

Another bug I see is that you have set a time origin but the trajectory times are still relative to the beginning of the video.

Another workaround I've found is to convert the offending .MOV file to .mp4.

Something I didn't mention in my last post is that some of the videos only play until about halfway through. Converting to .mp4 seems to get around that problem, too.

Dr.Dank wrote:

Something I didn't mention in my last post is that some of the videos only play until about halfway through. Converting to .mp4 seems to get around that problem, too.

vbendus reported a similar issue here: https://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=960

Are the video filmed with the default camera app on the iPhone or something else?

They are slow mo videos made with the default camera app on iPhone 11.

The linear kinematics tool is neat and I especially like the built-in filter. However, the graphs don't follow the scale set by calibrated lines and all accelerations are shown as zero.