I removed the driver and then restarted the computer and reinstalled the driver. I dropped the image size and still cant get the signal up.

As far as I know you don't need any driver for USB2-cameras. Can you change the setting of the 20fps-camera if you click on camera options? There should some options of different resolution/fps - combinations to be selected.

yea, it will only let me select 120 fps. I can drop the resolution, but the signal stays at 20 instead of 120 fps. Maybe its a faulty camera.

I got a firmware update from kinovea and now it at all works! Thanks so much.

Where did you get the driver from? I didn't do anything. Or is it a Kayeton camera?

36 (edited by mark8725d 2020-10-12 07:52:04)

I'm using Kinovea for the simple purpose of reviewing tennis matches recorded on a GoPro with my daughter.  The few features of 0.9.3 we've used so far seems to work great on latest Windows 10.  (Basic line drawing, magnification, and using the mouse wheel to go frame by frame fwd and bkwd.)  But then I wanted to send some clips to her coach.  I finally found that I should be able to set the working zone and save that clip only, to an MP4 file.  But the option to do that in the Save dialog box is missing. 

I went back to 0.8.27 and was able to do it.  But saving about a 90 second clip from the working zone took around 10 min.  (Didn't time exactly, but it was an unexpectedly long time.)  I'm using a recent quad core i7 with 16GB and SSD hard drive, so its not likely underpowered hardware.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious about the 0.9.3 beta.  But has the ability to save a clip from the working zone gone away in 0.9.3 ?

No it hasn't changed. Set the working zone then use either menu "File > Save" or the "Save video" button in the lower right corner of the playback screen and then "Save video with annotations permanently applied" to export a new video.

What is the result you are getting? The output contains the whole video?

Thanks - I think I was selecting "Save only the annotations."  Sorry, kinda dumb.  I can create the clip now in 0.9.3.

But the MP4 clip I made seems to have a problem.  The clip plays back fine, reloaded into Kinovea, but when I try to play the clip using VLC (latest version 3.0.11), I get a picture, the first frame I assume, but it doesn't play.  VLC thinks its playing because the elapsed time bar moves, but the picture doesn't change.  Oddly, when I click somewhere in the moving elapsed time bar, the frame changes once, but continues to not change while the elapsed frame bar moves.  I tried saving the clip with "Take slow motion into account" selected.  Same thing.  Tried making an AVI clip instead of MP4.  Same thing.  FYI my GoPro video is 60 fps  2704x1520.

In order to try to rule out a VLC problem, I also made sure that VLC plays the original MP4 video that the clip was taken from properly, which it does.  Could this be a Kinovea problem?

Hi,

I love Kinovea, such a great piece of software. I use it especially for delayed video playback and recording for instant video feedback in martial arts tricking.
So far the newest beta version ist stable in my use case. Sometimes when I set the video to 5sec delay, its rather the double of it and sometimes its 5sec. I'm looking for more testing on my side.

A simple bug in this version (hopefully not only for me) is, that when I open a video in the playback screen and double klick on the video so that it fits the screen, the playback stutters too much. Then it seems like a 10fps video. When I double click on the video again, its nicely smooth (1080p 60fps). It stutters on 720p 25fps video too.
My machine is a surface pro 7 with i7 processor and 16gb of ram. In the options the memory is set to approx 5gb each for video playback an recording. Display framerate is set to 60.

I hope I could help you for some bug reporting and hope you could solve this issue in the next version.
Thank you

skabsurd wrote:

Hi,

I love Kinovea, such a great piece of software. I use it especially for delayed video playback and recording for instant video feedback in martial arts tricking.
So far the newest beta version ist stable in my use case. Sometimes when I set the video to 5sec delay, its rather the double of it and sometimes its 5sec. I'm looking for more testing on my side.

A simple bug in this version (hopefully not only for me) is, that when I open a video in the playback screen and double klick on the video so that it fits the screen, the playback stutters too much. Then it seems like a 10fps video. When I double click on the video again, its nicely smooth (1080p 60fps). It stutters on 720p 25fps video too.
My machine is a surface pro 7 with i7 processor and 16gb of ram. In the options the memory is set to approx 5gb each for video playback an recording. Display framerate is set to 60.

I hope I could help you for some bug reporting and hope you could solve this issue in the next version.
Thank you

Hi,
it sounds like a performance topic.
Did you set the display framerate to 60 in windows or Kinovea? If in Kinovea, I would reduce it to 25 or 30. Your eyes will not recognize a higher framerate.
Your graphic card is integrated into your cpu. So everything is shared and may interfere. If there is too less memory available, the system has to store the memory on a file that may things slow down significantly.
You don't need 5GB for each video. If you look on the size of your created video, you can estimate how much GB you need. I is related to the length of recording, not the delay.
If you acquire your video in color, try to reduce it to mono. It will reduce all loads to 1/3.
Start the task-manager and observe cpu-load and especially the amount of reserved memory to be over 100%. Click on "resource monitor" to find the individual values of cpu and memory.

joan wrote:

Also double check the framerate received by Kinovea is the one you expect. You can see this in the infobar above the capture screen. The "Signal" value should be near the framerate you expect. If it's around half what you expect you will get a sped up video as you describe. If you are in low light conditions for example the camera can decide to increase exposure time and lower the framerate automatically, disregarding the configuration.

Hi Joan, is there any possibility to verify "signal" value of a previously recorded video by Kinovea? I forgot to take note of this info during videocapture. I remember I could find this info in the "Capture framerate" field of the "Configure video timing" window right after having captured the video....but once I modified it I haven't had the chance to retrieve it back.
Thanks for the support,
Pietro

If I recall correctly this is written in the log at some point during recording. Otherwise it is saved in the .KVA file produced along the captured video, but if you opened it, modified the value and saved back it was most probably overwritten. However if you recorded multiple videos the same day one of the KVA file might still have it.

There are two log files and they roll over based on file size so there should be history for a few recording sessions in there.

joan wrote:

If I recall correctly this is written in the log at some point during recording. Otherwise it is saved in the .KVA file produced along the captured video, but if you opened it, modified the value and saved back it was most probably overwritten. However if you recorded multiple videos the same day one of the KVA file might still have it.

There are two log files and they roll over based on file size so there should be history for a few recording sessions in there.

Thank you Joan, I have overwritten all the .KVA files indeed, unfortunately! But nevermind...it's good to know though for the next time. I can't find the log file instead. Do you think it would be convenient to store the original capture framerate somwhere where it cannot be overwritten? Thank you anyway.
Cheers,
Pietro