I'm running version 0.93 and have been experiencing random closing/crashing.  I checked the log but there wasn't anything special to indicate any problems.  There were no unhandled crash files.  Sometimes it will close the app just leaving it idle with the cameras running. 

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?  Is there any way to turn on more extensive level of debug with more details?

No it's all the logging there is… What kind of camera is it?

I'm using 2 ELP 720P at 120fps (OV4869 sensor)  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWXRKNL

I'm getting 120 fps with no drops.

Just wanted to provide an update on some of my troubleshooting efforts.

- The problem doesn't appear to be related to specific cameras.  I recently got some IDS and Basler cameras.  I experienced same random crashing and closing with IDS and Basler as well. 
- USB connections are clean and I was getting over 400MB/s with no drops.   
- I experienced the same issue even when running a Replay observer instance.  The instance just went away on its own.
- I re-installed Kinovea several times and also moved the program and capture folders to a SSD drive different from the Windows OS SSD drive to avoid any contention with Windows.

At this point, I'm at my wits end as to how to further troubleshoot this issue.  Welcome any suggestions.  Thanks!
I saw several unhandled crashes.  They happened during my testing, but I don't know when those occurred and what I was doing exactly. (Could be just an artifact the Replay instance errored out as the capture instance crashed.)  Here are some of unhandled crash files.

Parameter name: src
Source: mscorlib
Target site: Void BlockCopy(System.Array, Int32, System.Array, Int32, Int32)
InnerException:
Stack:    at System.Buffer.BlockCopy(Array src, Int32 srcOffset, Array dst, Int32 dstOffset, Int32 count)
   at Kinovea.Pipeline.FramePipeline.WriteSlot(Byte[] bytes, Int32 payloadLength, Frame entry)
   at Kinovea.Pipeline.FramePipeline.producer_FrameProduced(Object sender, FrameProducedEventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at Kinovea.Camera.IDS.FrameGrabber.camera_EventFrame(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at uEye.Camera.eventHandler(Object sender, WhichEventArgs e)
   at uEye.EventThreadHandler.WaitForEvent()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source: Kinovea.ScreenManager
Target site: Void ProcessEntry(Int64, Kinovea.Pipeline.Frame)
InnerException:
Stack:    at Kinovea.ScreenManager.ConsumerDelayer.ProcessEntry(Int64 position, Frame entry)
   at Kinovea.Pipeline.Consumers.AbstractConsumer.Loop()
   at Kinovea.Pipeline.Consumers.AbstractConsumer.Run()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source: Kinovea.ScreenManager
Target site: Int64 get_ConsumerPosition()
InnerException:
Stack:    at Kinovea.ScreenManager.ConsumerDisplay.get_ConsumerPosition()
   at Kinovea.Pipeline.RingBuffer.<>c__DisplayClass25_0.<IsWriteable>b__0(IFrameConsumer c)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.All[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at Kinovea.Pipeline.RingBuffer.TryClaim(Frame& entry)
   at Kinovea.Pipeline.FramePipeline.producer_FrameProduced(Object sender, FrameProducedEventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at Kinovea.Camera.IDS.FrameGrabber.camera_EventFrame(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at uEye.Camera.eventHandler(Object sender, WhichEventArgs e)
   at uEye.EventThreadHandler.WaitForEvent()

Ouch, these exceptions are happening in very deep and low level parts of the code… What kind of computer is it?
I'll leave the capture running overnight to see if I can reproduce any spurious crash.

That doesn't sound good. However, I have version 0.9.3 running since release and never have had a crash. My default setup is having 6 Kinovea open at the same time without any problem.

To narrow the problem some infos would be interesting:

Are any other programs also crashing
Do the camera-drivers, if are installed, have the right version that is compatible with Kinovea 0.9.3. There are a lot of error messages related to the IDS-camera. IDS-software suite Version 4.93 will work. If you have the Basler pylon software installed, be sure to have 6.0 (not 6.1 !)

Try to deactivate all virus programs. To be save, you could disconnect the internet during testing.

However, what I have personally seen is, that once this type of error occurs, it definitively is time to reinstall Windows from scratch. Expecially if the windows version is updated from an older version (i.e. Windows 8), I have found similar problems. Another reason I have seen are some "tools" - installation (these nice small programs we all like smile ) that replace important Windows-DLLs.
Since longer time, I always reinstall the system on a clean partition if windows shows a strange behavior.

Futhermore, if the computer is running for some years, remove and reassemble the memory-chips after running a memory-checking program to secure that the chips are in good conditions. Also disconnect and reconnect the graphics card to the motherboard slot.
Good luck

My PC is a Dell XPS 8930 (Intel i7 8700 with 6 cores) 16G Ram with a NVDIA 1060 GPU.  The PC is running fine with other programs, including graphic and memory intensive apps. In fact, I'm testing Swing Catalyst and V1 Pro golf software without any problems using same cameras.  I have latest IDS drivers and Pylon 6.0 for Basler. 
Good to know that you are running multiple instances of 0.93 without any problems.  I suspect it could be something on my PC that doesn't interact with Kinovea right.  I do have Norton 360 Anti-virus.  I will disable it and other potential programs to see if they make a difference.

Just wanted to provide a final update on this.  After several weeks of troubleshooting, I was to able to trace down the root cause. 
I used to have a USB video capture device connected to the PC.   I no longer use that device but the software was still installed.  It showed up as a camera source in Kinovea even though the device was no longer connected.  For some reason, one of the DLLs caused Kinovea to crash or close randomly.  After I uninstalled the capture device software, Kinovea works perfectly now.

Great! What was the name of the software? Maybe I can reproduce the crash and see if anything can be done about it.

10 (edited by pathfinderzero 2021-02-22 00:58:04)

The video capture device is called Cloner Box Pro https://www.cloner-alliance.com/cloneralliance-box-pro/   
The software it comes with is called Cloner Helper Pro https://www.cloner-alliance.com/hdml-cloner-pro-helper/
I don't know if you can install the software as it checks for the device and serial number when it runs.

The error message I got from Windows Log Viewer was:

Faulting application name: Kinovea.exe, version: 0.9.3.0, time stamp: 0x5f0080ec
Faulting module name: hcphfilter.dll_unloaded, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x592e6ea2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000ddab
Faulting process id: 0x184c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6fa9b78c76951
Faulting application path: F:\Kinovea 1\Kinovea.exe
Faulting module path: hcphfilter.dll
Report Id: ba58fe09-55d9-47a0-b70b-8156910c1852
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hcphfilter.dll is part of Cloner Helper program.

You don't happen to still have the log file from when these crashes occurred, do you? I know you said that you do not use the device any more.

I have seen issues with certain, but not all, DirectShow drivers causing issues with Kinovea but they show up pretty clearly in the log file.