If I rotate the image (90°) and then store the workspace, this information is not stored within the workspace file. So if you open up that workspace the image is not rotated.
Is there any way to store the rotation in workspace?

Hi, yes you are correct. Currently there is no way.
This will be fixed in the next version but maybe in a different way than you expect. The image rotation is considered to be part of the video metadata, not the screen configuration, so when you rotate the image it will save this information in the KVA file, and when you re-open the video (from workspace or manually) and the KVA file is reloaded, it will rotate it automatically.

I think I found a way. I open Kinovea with a "-name" argument together with the "-workspace" argument, and it opens up all the right settings.

Invoking a workspace with the -workspace argument or saving it in the preferences via the Options menu should be the same, otherwise there is a bug somewhere… In any case the forced rotation is not saved anywhere so there must be something else going on. Maybe the file itself has the rotation flag enabled?