My question is: I record my files in HD-Mode (16:9) and the view in kinovea is also 16:9 - But when I record SD-files in 16:9 the view in kinovea is always 4:3 - is there an posibility to update the program or is it possible the update an code??? I want to have the SD-files also in 16:9
sad yikes

Hi,
This is strange… Would you be able to record two very small files (few seconds) in HD and SD and send them to me (joan at kinovea dot org).
I'll have a look at them and see if there is a defect in the source that I can fix.
thanks.

I record this files whit a SAMSUNG-VP-HMX10C - maybe this will help you to find the error!

Thanks for the files and info.
Also, I opened an issue in the bug tracker here: m143.

Hi,
As I wrote in the bug tracker:
The program is not getting the Aspect Ratio information for any of the videos, so it assumes square pixels.
The HD video is 1280×720 which is indeed 16:9 in square pixels.
The SD video however is 720×576 (standard DV) which is 5:4 in square pixels and this is why it looks stretched.

Currently I don't have the time to track down the issue around the ffmpeg library, especially considering I'm not using the very latest version of the library (for a regression reason unrelated to this issue).

As a workaround, I have implemented a suggestion that was made earlier (I think it was Giorgio) to be able to manually force the aspect ratio.
So, in version 0.8.2 there will be a new menu under Image > Image Format with the following options : Auto Detection, Force 4:3, Force 16:9.
In a future revision I'll also add a "Default Image Format" in the General Preferences so the setting can be persistent between videos.

When is the version 0.8.2 read to download?

right now. Go up to the top of the posts and you will see a subject titled 8.2

Mike

Thank you! Is it possible to make the view fixed to 16:9 when I start the kinovea-programm, because so I have to change the "image-format" always to 16:9 when I load a new file. The view is always on Auto detection. It would be good, when I start the program that the image-format is automatically at 16:9

Hi,
yes, as I wrote above this will be part of a future enhancement. A setting will be put in the global preferences to persist the value.

Thank you - I'm looking forward to it ;-)