Would it be possible in the two screen recording option to use the joint control for recording one video and take a snapshot, both with their own assigned delays?
The snapshot could then be inserted into the video for visual identification.

Example:
recording the take-off of a longjumper (1. cam) and his adding his race bid number from the run-up (2.cam)
not to waste any bandwidth of the recording.

Hmm, the superposition function is close but not quite… But the data is already there. Maybe with an image tool but then you tell it that the "source" of the image is the synchronized image from the other screen.

The superposition affects the quality of the video a bit too much,.
In an earlier verion of Kinovea there was the possibility of sending a small screenshot into the other video?

This is of course avery specialized function...but it would help in keeping track of the hundres of clips recirded during a competition. I tried to record with two webcams positioned perpendicularly to each other with a delay of 3 sec to catch the incoming athlete and 1s to anticipate the jump off the board, but that made a huge drop in FPS.... An early snaphot could help?

If it's just one Bib image, and it's not really a video that needs to be properly synchronized, you can right click > Copy image to clipboard and then back in the takeoff video right click > Paste image from clipboard. This will create an image object that you can resize, put in the corner and set to always visible.

This is what replaced the "send image to the other screen".

5 (edited by AlexanderH 2023-01-10 21:28:32)

Yes, but I need a way of catching the picture at the time of the jump. Hence the second cam to take snapshot of the incoming jumper. The picture and video can then be combined from their respective auto replay folders in an other running instance of Kinovea?
This would be needed as automated as possible, so that any materials can be handed to the judges/jury for checking without searching in that mountain of files...

One click at the board-> the automated jump video 1s delay+2s autostop   and a picture with 2-3s delay

Ah you want to do this at recording time, sorry I didn't quite catch that part.

7 (edited by AlexanderH 2023-01-10 21:43:51)

Yes exactly smile !

Streaming the two webcams in delayed mode seems to drop the framrate (50-60fps needed)? Or am I misunderstanding this?

p.s. we are checking out the Kinovea-system for long jumps at the training camp competition for the Finnish national team on Friday... big_smile

When using several cameras there are many things that can impact perfs. USB bandwidth, USB power, SSD write speed…

Even if the bib thing itself is a bit niche the general idea of creating picture-in-picture objects from live cameras is interesting. This could be used to provide wider context to a zoomed-in camera, or highlight something from a different angle…

There might be a solution of using automatically post processing the recorded videos from both cams.

First there are some questions to clarify:

1. What type of information you would like to give to the jury, an (one) image or a video
2. At which time the judges will take a look on the result, just after the jump or do they scan the jumpers afterwards one by one
3. For what do you need to capture the image at the time of the jump? To see the bib number or to see the take-off?
4. How do you start the recording, manually or using a trigger at a given moment?
5. What is the resolution of both cameras in use?
6. Do you use the same framerate on both cameras and how high is it?

As Joan already mentions, the mode of recording in principal does not influence the framerate but may be related to the system bandwidth.
It might be better to use the retroactive-mode, it gives a more stable video-streaming due to exclusively working in the computer memory without disk access interference. To my personal experience it is even more stable to use separate instances for each camera and not to use the dual recording mode in one single instance. Comparing both methods on my computer it has been shown that the total cpu-load rather is smaller if one Kinovea-instance controls one camera, compared to the dual recording mode.

A technical more simple solution would be to create a horizontal side-by-side video of the whole jump, using the 1. cam on the left side as the leading video that controls fps, video resolution and image quality, padding the 2. cam to the right side.

To visualize what I mentioned 2 videos have been created, using the post-processing function combining a side and front video of a long jump. To see it working you might run the videos from the link below. An info-file is enclosed.

https://hente-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/p … Q?e=lKLA48

Reiner wrote:

There might be a solution of using automatically post processing the recorded videos from both cams.

First there are some questions to clarify:

1. What type of information you would like to give to the jury, an (one) image or a video
2. At which time the judges will take a look on the result, just after the jump or do they scan the jumpers afterwards one by one
3. For what do you need to capture the image at the time of the jump? To see the bib number or to see the take-off?
4. How do you start the recording, manually or using a trigger at a given moment?
5. What is the resolution of both cameras in use?
6. Do you use the same framerate on both cameras and how high is it?

As Joan already mentions, the mode of recording in principal does not influence the framerate but may be related to the system bandwidth.
It might be better to use the retroactive-mode, it gives a more stable video-streaming due to exclusively working in the computer memory without disk access interference. To my personal experience it is even more stable to use separate instances for each camera and not to use the dual recording mode in one single instance. Comparing both methods on my computer it has been shown that the total cpu-load rather is smaller if one Kinovea-instance controls one camera, compared to the dual recording mode.

A technical more simple solution would be to create a horizontal side-by-side video of the whole jump, using the 1. cam on the left side as the leading video that controls fps, video resolution and image quality, padding the 2. cam to the right side.

1. I would like the bib of the jumper to be automatically inserted into the takeoff video.
2. The judges/jury should as soon as possible be able to review the moment (a snapshot) where the judge of the event deems it unvalid. The jump will be measured, but under protest until this final decision. Could be needed before the three final rounds.
3. Both. I need a picture of the bib, 1-2s before takeoff to be inserted in the takeoff vid.
4. I start the recording manually at the takeoff with -1s delay to stop at 2s. I want a picture of the bib to be taken from the run-up 1-2s before takeoff.
5./6. The webcam on the board is recording in FHD 60fps and the webcam to the run-up is HD/VGA, 10-25 fps (but a snapshot would be enough)

All of your conditions are met in the side-by-side solution, that is available right away.
Did you take a look?
Creating a superimposed image is of course possible but would take some time to create and is not as easy as it looks. It then should be versatile and adaptable.

Regarding your bandwidth:

Cam1:
1920x1024 * 60 = 125MB/s in Mono
1920x1024 * 60 * 3 = 375MB/s in Color

Cam2:
1280x720 * 20 = 18MB/s in Mono
1280x720 * 20 * 3 = 54MB/s in Color

summed up (NETTO without overhead, no compression):
Mono 143MB
Color 429MB

—> USB 2.0 supports about 30-40MB/s netto
—> USB 3.0 supports about 450 MB/s netto
—> Compression factor of jpeg mostly is about 1:10 (depending on the camera, mostly not specified by the manufacturer )
—-> USB 3.0 might be needed in color, depending on the image compression factor
—-> the critical camera might be cam1

—> if the USB-transfer rate of your laptop is too small, you will get arbitrarily dropped frames

Side by side should work but it does feel wasteful that one of the sides is going to be a static image when a simple insert onto the main video would suffice.

My main concern with automating it and the delay is the risk of mixing the wrong bib with the wrong takeoff video, this would be catastrophic.

@AlexanderH
There is a new video in the onedrive directory (see previous post) that may fit your need.
It identifies the bib number AND the jumper for confidence reason

Reiner wrote:

@AlexanderH
There is a new video in the onedrive directory (see previous post) that may fit your need.
It identifies the bib number AND the jumper for confidence reason

Yes,
that is the idea I´m looking for. The quality has to be a bit higher, though smile
Heike was a fantastic athlete!