1 (edited by chocfairy 2023-07-09 08:56:47)

This is driving me nuts. All I want to do is draw a line at a certain frame, keep it there for a certain time and then have it fade. I cannot find a way to do this. The 'persistence' option I have researched no longer exits. I can't turn off the default fading and the custom fading just does not work. I guess some of it is that I have no clue what Opaque duration and Fading duration actually means.

I can draw and colour a line, but not get it to come on and go off when I want.

Another thing is when I set it to come ON at a certain point, the line shows BEFORE that point. Why does it do that?

And another thing - can multiple lines be drawn at different times on the video and their durations set to different times too. Or is it once the opacity settings are set, this governs all lines?

Please can somebody offer SIMPLE click-by-click instructions on how to do this. Thank you

When you add a line it is attached to the particular frame you added it on. Let's call this the anchor frame.
- Select the "Custom fading" option for the line.
- If you don't want to see the line before the anchor frame at all, set the Fading duration to zero.
- If you want the line to stay fully visible for say 10 frames after the anchor frame, set Opaque duration to 10.

More details:
"Opaque duration" is how many frames after the anchor frame it will stay fully visible (or at the max opacity configured).
"Fading duration" is the fading in/out effect that is created before the anchor frame and after the last frame of the "opaque period".

Each object can have its own fading/opacity parameters, by using the "Custom fading" option. If it is set to "Default fading" it will use the global option configured in Preferences > Drawings > Opacity.

If the line is tracked it will be forced at max opacity while it is tracked.

Thanks - that did the trick, except I discovered that the duration can only be set to 500. I tried to extend this in both the global and custom options but whatever number >500 I use, it defaults back to 500. Is there a way around this please?

Sorry about that, no there is not really any way around it at the moment.