Would it be possible to either link or copy the list of captured files in a defined session to an external txt-file or a spreadsheet?

This would make it much easier to combine the protocol of a competition with the recorded clips.

p.s. Kinovea was used in womens triplejump at the IAAF Tampere Indoor Meeting 9.2.2023. Worked great!

Hmmm, the original capture history panel was a tree with each day its own entry and the list of captured videos from that day below it. http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x … istory.png
But that was too complex to maintan. And you had to periodically clean it up, and always the problem of stale links when a video is deleted.

In what consist a "session" in your workflow? A day of recordings or just one event, so possibly multiple sessions per day? In that case it would need a concept of starting and ending a session, and the videos would be grouped under that session. More complex.

Another mechanism would be to use the Post recording command from automation panel, and point it to a script that collects all files in the current folder and consolidates them to a text file. The advantage of this is that once it's set up you can't forget to export the list. And you get the concept of session for free by just changing folder.

3 (edited by Vic 2023-08-01 12:43:34)

Hi! I am using too the Kinovea for long jump check board, and i am doing an Excel with a macro, that you press a bottom and add the last name of video you have in the folder( Example: 20230801-114137). So lets say you can have the list of the athlete and in the second column in excel writes the name of the video.
I have to see for do in future taking in count the rounds jump,etc

I was thinking about this and another way could be to do it in the reverse direction with a "startlist". I think this could be useful for various scenarios. Even during training, since you could make a startlist for the various exercises you are about to do.

Something like this:

1. First you would create or export a CSV file containing the information of the sequence of videos that you are about to capture.
2. This CSV file needs to have column headers, for example it would look like this:

bib,name
2542,Tajay GAYLE
2206,Radek JUŠKA
2983,Marquis DENDY
2550,Carey MCLEOD
2200,Alejandro A. PARADA
2869,Simon EHAMMER
2449,Jeswin ALDRIN
2898,Thobias MONTLER
2410,Miltiadis TENTOGLOU
2552,Wayne PINNOCK
3041,William WILLIAMS
2170,Jianan WANG

3. From the moment this file is loaded, each new capture will consume one line of the file.
4. The column headers would be available to use in the file name templates. For example:

template: "longjump-%datetime_%bib-%name"

expansion: "longjump-20230904-1316_2542-Tajay GAYLE.mp4"

Now each time we record a video it would be saved with the right info directly in the filename.

Some considerations:
- If you record two cameras the file will probably have to be loaded in each screen separately.
- There should be a way to navigate within the list before recording, to fix mis-ordering and spurious recordings.
- It would be good to have the variables visible before the recording, for confirmation and in the context of training it could even be used as a cue to know what you are supposed to do next. At the very least there should be a button next to the filename to toggle between the template and its expansion, then it can be a global option where we show the future filename in big font on top of the capture screen (not part of the recording).

What do you think?

I will try this.

Then we need a way to easily "shut out" jumpers that decide to retreat from the competition, leave out jumps etc.

In competitions with more than eight participants, there is also the "problem" with changing the jumping order after three rounds.

thank you for your work, Joan.

Yeah the re-ordering for the final is a complication.

In the last version I integrated a tabular control in the context of the chronometer time table, it's fairly versatile and supports editing of the cells. Maybe it could be used to display the list coming from the CSV, and there could be an additional "order" column to determine the ordering manually even after the file is loaded. This could provide a way to change the order and remove lines from being used by setting the order to a special value. Wouldn't work very well for when people "pass" though.

Another idea is to have a shortcut key to move the template context to the next row, so you can quickly cycle through the list and find the correct line.

This was suggested to me a while back in the context of trampoline (to have a video backup in case the electronic system for time of flight fails). In trampoline they have a very specific order that doesn't change and each athlete only does one "run", so the situation is a bit simpler.

7 (edited by AlexanderH 2023-09-06 13:24:59)

For the time being, the best option would be using the automatic"naming"-function

Example:
Name of competition_ Round A_ Jump 3 etc.
MenU20 A 3
MenU20 A 4
MenU20 A 5
MenU20 B 2
MenU20 B 3
last three rounds
MenU20 D 2
etc.

If needed, these named videos can be found by checking/comparing to the protocol.

This needs the possibility to have TWO increasing listings in the naming by a defined amount A-G - a round- AND jumporder, number of competitors - including a fast tab to either increase or decrease this number?

I think the auto naming system is too rudimentary for this but we could have counter variables. Thanks for the feedback this gives a good overview of what is required.

joan wrote:

I was thinking about this and another way could be to do it in the reverse direction with a "startlist". I think this could be useful for various scenarios. Even during training, since you could make a startlist for the various exercises you are about to do.

Something like this:

1. First you would create or export a CSV file containing the information of the sequence of videos that you are about to capture.
2. This CSV file needs to have column headers, for example it would look like this:

bib,name
2542,Tajay GAYLE
2206,Radek JUŠKA
2983,Marquis DENDY
2550,Carey MCLEOD
2200,Alejandro A. PARADA
2869,Simon EHAMMER
2449,Jeswin ALDRIN
2898,Thobias MONTLER
2410,Miltiadis TENTOGLOU
2552,Wayne PINNOCK
3041,William WILLIAMS
2170,Jianan WANG

3. From the moment this file is loaded, each new capture will consume one line of the file.
4. The column headers would be available to use in the file name templates. For example:

template: "longjump-%datetime_%bib-%name"

expansion: "longjump-20230904-1316_2542-Tajay GAYLE.mp4"

Now each time we record a video it would be saved with the right info directly in the filename.

Some considerations:
- If you record two cameras the file will probably have to be loaded in each screen separately.
- There should be a way to navigate within the list before recording, to fix mis-ordering and spurious recordings.
- It would be good to have the variables visible before the recording, for confirmation and in the context of training it could even be used as a cue to know what you are supposed to do next. At the very least there should be a button next to the filename to toggle between the template and its expansion, then it can be a global option where we show the future filename in big font on top of the capture screen (not part of the recording).

What do you think?

It seems a very good idea. Is it in the last version for try and test or not yet?

Vic wrote:

It seems a very good idea. Is it in the last version for try and test or not yet?

No it's nowhere to be tested yet. I haven't started anything on this I just wanted to have a clear overview for design purposes.