When I play a WMV file recorded with my WebCam it plays extremely fast and cuts off the end. When I play the file in Windows Media Player, it plays fine, but when I play it in Kinovea, I get very odd results.

Has anyone experienced this?

I can provide a link to the file if someone wants to try it.

not seen anything like that here

(guessing it might be the webcam using a low framerate that WMP is recognising and matching but kinovea is playing back at a 'normal' 30 or 25fps ? )

im happy to try the file for you if you want (vista OS here)

slainte hmm rob

Is there a way to post the file here, or do I need to upload it to a separate site and send you the link?

Hi,
I would be interested by the file, if it's small enough, (say < 3.0 MB), you could send it by email: joan at kinovea dot org.
Otherwise, maybe you can put it up through a free file hosting service like rapidshare or megaupload, or similar.
I'm not sure I'll have time to really assess the issue in the near future though.

You can also try to read it with another FFMpeg based software, like VLC or MPlayer and report the result.

edit: I forgot about the bug tracker. You can create an issue there and then attach a file to it. (up to 5MB). This action might requires registration though.

The problem may have been the framerate as I seem unable to capture in the native logitech software at more than 15 fps. However, in Windows Movie maker I am able to capture at 30 fps.

So, I uploaded to file to my website, the first, video 10, is of a kid bowling. According to VLC it is 15 fps, and doesn't really work well in Kinovea. The second, testwmm, is in 30 fps according to VLC and still doesn't work. It is listed as being 5 second long in WMP but only shows up as 2.12 s long in Kinovea.

When I have recorded in the past with my normal camcorder to a hard drive and then mpg files I have not had this problem, so I am not sure if it is a camera or file type problem.

http://peterkupfer.net/video10.wmv
http://peterkupfer.net/testwmm.wmv

Thanks in advance.

6 (edited by colournoise 2009-12-01 21:07:31)

just tried your files and am seeing the exact same issues with them you describe

even using conversion software (i use super and / or Any Video Converter) to change the framerate doesnt cure it

but

converted them both to .avi using super and they played back fine in kinovea

since i have never seen any issues like this with .wmv files ive recorded or rendered here (from multiple cameras) i can only guess its something to do with the way your webcam saves the .wmv format (im not a codehead at all but maybe something in the file header that confuses kinoveas framerate 'detection' ? or maybe something missing in the file header so that kinovea cant read the framerate information ? )

slainte hmm rob

Thanks for checking. I feel a little better knowing it isn't me, but very frustrated with whatever Logitech is doing. I will file an issue.

Hi Peschtra

I get the same results. I note that Kinovea stops playing about halfway through.
I also tried playing it using VLC Media player and it appears to play OK on that software.

Trevor

Hi,
Apparently the bowling file (video10.wmv) plays well on VLC > 0.9.8, but displays the same issue than Kinovea on VLC 0.9.6 that I happen to have at home.
So I guess that pinpoints the issue to the older version of FFMpeg used by Kinovea. (haven't updated yet because it broke some other file types, I'll have to get around this one day.)

Thanks

Yeah, that would be awesome if it work in Kinovea. Kinovea is the best program I have found to show bowlers what they are doing because of the slow motion, side by side, and because you can draw the grid and angles on the screen. It is definately helped us out a lot.

Thanks for looking into this.

I have the same problem with a logitech webcam (orbit).  I tryed to capture with the software of logitech, debut capture and windows movie maker.  The *.wmv file play well in any player other than kinovea.  Do you have any solution? ... we would like to use this hardware in our school.  Thanks for the help.

Please try to create a short sample (<3MB) and either attach it to one of these issues in the bug tracker : m165, m184 ; or send it by mail to me : joan at kinovea dot org.

I have been trying a sandbox version with more recent FFMpeg libraries version lately. Some WMV files using the VC-1 codec are fixed by it. Hopefully it's your case too.
(but it changed the way it handles H.264, so we need to do a bit of adaptation work before these libraries can be included to a release.)

Having other samples of these WMV files that don't work will help pinpointing the issue and how to work around it, thanks.