Other sports analysis softwares have the "Tagging" opion. It allows the user to index specific events during the recording. e.g. index all the goals scored. Once the recording is finished. It is possible to instantly review all indexed parts of your match, for example. You can watch all the goals, or all fouls, anything that you have tagged during the game. Great otpion for team sports. It used by coaches to review critical moments of their games, without having to spend hours to clip the video. These tagged moments can also be compared to tagged moments of other games, and so on.
If any one knows how to add such option into Kinovea, I would really apreciate that and provide all the technical help I can (which is probably not much, but I can try)

Thanks Guys

Blc-1

Hi,

I would suggest trying out LongoMatch, because the notational analysis sub-project is not going to be included any time soon in Kinovea. (The current focus is more on analysis of short performances, exercises and small sequences inside longer ones).

LongoMatch is an ongoing open source project for games analysis.

I AGREE 100% with blc.
Tagging is what really makes competitors' software powerful.
Sports researchers and professional coaches need to tag behavour and events in the time line.
It's a huge mistake to override tagging options.

Observational methodology is a state of the art scientific discipline which is about to explode. Video-Tagging software and video manager related to Data bases are dramatically required.

Even if u are not interested in tactical analysis nor in behavoural studies, tagging visual-technical observations or events in the video clips is what really makes sense in the use of a video management system. Only by tagging u can organize and make more fluid your session including video ressources.

I'm afraid you are commiting a big mistake ignoring that. I suggest u reconsider this line of thinking.

4 (edited by joan 2010-03-11 16:09:05)

Hi,
Just to clear some things up,

Tagging is what really makes competitors' software powerful.

This is not a competition. There's no "market share" to loose or win.
There is just several softwares that happen to cover overlapping fields. Nothing prevents you from using them all.

Sports researchers and professional coaches need to tag behavour and events in the time line.

Agreed.

It's a huge mistake to override tagging options.

They are not overlooked, it's just a matter of prioritization.

There is a massive ammount of work to be done (Camcorder capture, audio, improved drawing tools, better measurement tools, better comparison tools, publishing framework, motion summarization and extraction, etc.)

Notational analysis is one of them. Your message is a +1 vote for it in the prioritization queue. Others may have different needs / views. smile

dartfish s full of stupid features, which nobody uses, like stromotion

Now that's a statement. I, on the contrary, think that this type of motion summarization is an invaluable tool for motion analysis.
(By the way, there are people ready to afford the price tag just to get this feature.)

Even if u are not interested in tactical analysis nor in behavoural studies

I am. If I had to use it for a project right now, I'd use LongoMatch software as linked above.

And if I found it to be lacking in some departments, then I would go on their forum and suggest improvements, give feedback, etc. As I said, nothing prevents you from using several programs. Especially when some of them are provided at no cost. wink

I certainly hope that one day there will be a fully fledged notational analysis module in Kinovea, but I also know it's not going to happen soon.

tagging visual-technical observations or events in the video clips is what really makes sense in the use of a video management system.

Well, I don't view Kinovea as a video management system, but more as a motion analysis tool. It makes a big difference.
Managing the whole user's video collection is a nice goal, but not ours. Kinovea might just be one piece in your toolchain.
You can complement it with some file level manager on one end, and maybe a CD burner on the other for exemple.

I also think that focusing on playback and analysis will make for a more lightweight and easy-to-use program in the end.

Thanks