I am looking to use Kinovea in dual capture mode.  My question is, if I were to buy two PS3-eye cameras, would my PC be able to use them both simultaneously, or do I need to hook up two distinct models of cameras so there are no driver conflict issues?

Hi Acer22
I have two PS3 eye cmaeras and have never managed to make it work, there just seems no way to get the second screen to recognise the second camera.  (Maybe someone else knows the secret) My solution is to use one PS3 camera and one logitech.  PS3 gives high frame rate, logitech gives much  better definition but only at 30fps.  Incidentally I picked up PS3 cameras from ebay for about 12 pounds (UK) so you may want to look there.

Which logitech camera are you using?

I am using the logitech Webcam Pro 9000 HD costs about  35 pounds (Amazon) and I have found the quality of the picture very good

It allows use at
1600 x 1200  at 10fps
1280 x 800 at 25 fps
960 x 720 at 30 fps and a whole load of lower resolution options at 30 fps, but no higher frame rates.

So if I need high frame rate its the PS3 eye,  if good resolution its the logitech, using the two together seems to work but of course tricky to sync.  Other issue is on high definition Kinovea starts to run out of memory buffer quickly so the possible delay is fairly short.  I just reduce the resolution until the delay is correct and then live with any degrade in image quality.

I would be interested to know if anyone has used two logitech 9000 cameras for the two capture/delay screens

Hope this is of use to you

About the PS3 Eye, the limitation is coming from the driver I believe. The same guy(s) providing the single camera driver has a (not free) multi-camera driver.
(Not tested)

I think we don´t have to pay for two cameras. The problem is that the software has to be made for the multicam driver. Only if you want to use more then 2 cameras you have to register and pay for them.

http://codelaboratories.com/research/vi … camera-api

Multicam Driver + SDK: http://codelaboratories.com/get/cl-eye-sdk/

I purchased the 2 camera driver and now I can't seem to figure out how to make it work in Kinovea.  The test software from the driver vendor generates dual images, so it basically works, just not with Kinovea yet.

Any suggestions?

I don't think it'll work. As kinoveafan wrote, the software has to be made specifically for the multicam driver. That is, we can't use it directly with DirectShow, special code has to be written and integrated in the pipeline. Sorry if this wasn't clear enough.

I guess it's confirmed for sure now. smile