1 (edited by joan 2012-03-06 11:37:52)

Very experimental, much feedback needed ! wink
Beware of regressions and report anything suspicious. Do not assume the issue is known.

Installer: [s]Kinovea.Setup.0.8.16.exe[/s]. 0.8.17

The drawings code was refactored to ease the addition and creation of new drawings in the future. The amount of work that went into the refactoring is quite substantial but the level of flexibility is starting to be interesting.
Although it's not an explicit goal, we are not too far from a plug-in system where a third party could provide a sport-specific tool and it would be integrated dynamically. (It's not a goal right now, but thinking about this level of flexibility helps with the design)

Visible changes (tip of the iceberg, really)
- The grid and plane are now first class drawings: you can add as many of them as you want, and they will also be saved and loaded in the KVA files.
- Option to display "time ticks" on track path.
- Importing a KVA file now *merges* it on top of the existing key images (before it would do a "replace").
- New conf boxes for color and style.

Impacted areas (test, test, test for regressions)
1. KVA file format. The format has changed in some incompatible ways. I wrote a conversion routine so existing KVA (and embedded analysis) should be OK, but the color/style information will be lost. Please report any issue.
2. Export to spreadsheet.
3. File reading (FFMpeg updated).
4. Language selection.

On top of that:
- Full screen mode (discuss). (There is no menu to get out yet, use F11 shortcut key!)
- Support for WebM file format.

Otherwise exterminated bugs : 209, 245, 247, 248, 250, 255.
(250 = captured file is playing too fast).

+ Raw changelog.

Some snaps of the conf boxes.
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/trackshapes.png
^^ Track shape
http://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/confline.pnghttp://www.kinovea.org/screencaps/0.8.x/confpreset.png

2 (edited by jon 2011-08-12 06:55:51)

Thanks for the update and incorporating those changes so quickly. Looking forward to testing big_smile

[Edit]

There seems to be some issue with connecting to network cameras on the capture page. v0.8.16 does not seem to pick up the live MJPEG stream. The stream has been validated to work on v 0.8.15.

In 0.8.16, how do you display the grid? Image > Grid has vanished! Ctl-G does not appear to work, either.

Oh, I totally forgot about that one sad
It was supposed to be added back in a drop down fashion with the grid tool on the drawing tools toolbar.

Joan
For some reason recorded video is not as smooth as in .15

Thanks

wermouth wrote:

Joan
For some reason recorded video is not as smooth as in .15

Thanks

+1, it is terrible.

Also when I lock two videos and superpostion them, the speed wants to drop.

On the plus side, I can now save superposition!  I have Windows 7 and the button did not show in the other version.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the feedback.
What is meant with recorded video not smooth ? Video recorded from the capture screen then played back ? Can you determine if the issue seems to be in the recording step or in the playing step ?

8 (edited by Stuart 2011-12-14 04:04:29)

It is "jittery".  I have been using an AVI file.  It worked fine with the stable release.  I have been using the same fle in the exprimental.  It has not been altered since I loaded it from my camera some months ago (using other software).
As mentioned I had to go to this version to be able to save superpostion.  I can and the final product plays perfectly, it is just when you are working on the project.

Further info.
I just had a look at my project, it is almost like something is refreshing constantly.  When the video is paused, the controls at the lower right flicker (save picture etc), and on mouse over it takes a while for the tooltip to appear.  Maybe its another Windows 7 thing.

Stuart wrote:

Further info.
I just had a look at my project, it is almost like something is refreshing constantly.  When the video is paused, the controls at the lower right flicker (save picture etc), and on mouse over it takes a while for the tooltip to appear.  Maybe its another Windows 7 thing.

Ha! This.
I think I know where it's coming from. I had made some experiment to make the controls render faster, especially when changing the main window size, to improve the experience when going in or out of full screen mode. (Otherwise you can see each control outline before it's actually rendered, not very nice). After more use, I also noticed that there seems to be a conflict between this modification and the splitter control, especially the one between the list of files and the playback screen. It doesn't happen everytime, but when it does it's horrible.

When this flickering happen (and consumes 100% CPU), try to nudge the splitter left or right to expand or reduce the file explorer panel. In my experience this cause things to fall in place.
I have removed that modification for future versions.

Glad I could contribute in some way.

I see what you mean about nudging the bar.  It really doesn't help much though.

What's really annoying is the speed changing by itself (always slower) all the time.  Is that related to the same problem?

It could be. The speed slider is decreasing by itself when the time to decode and display an image is constantly higher than the time interval between frames. In this case we can't possibly keep up the rate, the automatic decrease is to avoid freezing up the computer.

On the basis that I've never minded asking stupid questions - on the greater scale of things what would stop this from happening? Do we need more RAM, is it a 32bit limitation, would a lower quality or lower fps recording be less demanding?
It does seem to handle it pretty well and better than freezing up but nice to know what to aspire to
Thanks

There are many factors smile. RAM is not really the issue here, it's more the processing power needed to decode and display the images. Lower image size and lower fps will improve things.

The path I have been exploring for the past few months is to have a separate thread that pre-buffers images in parallel to the playback.
The pipeline is now mostly reconstructed, and it does indeed give me better performances and thus less automatic speed decrease. Not as much as I would want, but some improvement nonetheless.

For smooth playback, the real culprit is in the rendering though. And after much experimentation, it's clear (again) that unless the rendering is done in a hardware accelerated technology (either WPF or even the older GDI) instead of GDI+, we will not have a seamless full HD playback for high framerates.

Problem is, WPF means that the whole user interface needs to be rewritten from the ground up. (Some experiments with Direct2D were also made but there was issues to re-convert back images to GDI+ objects for use in the rest of the program…). There is also a WPF control for interop with Winforms, I haven't checked how it could work with existing drawings and other parts yet.

Another route will be to work on a 64bit version and expand the cache size to several gigabytes so it can contain more than the current ~3 seconds of HD footage.

For the record, I have a reasonable computer.  A copy/paste of the Windows Experience is below.  The hard drive is a solid state, so scores low due to it's write speed.  Using 64 bit Windows.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz 7.5
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 7.5
Gaming graphics 3834 MB Total available graphics memory 7.5
Primary hard disk 5GB Free (60GB Total) 7.0

I have ran the current stable release on my poor little Asus EEE.  It seems o.k.

15 (edited by HDAV 2012-01-29 21:21:51)

Whats the command to exit full screen once in it?

EDIT: Got it F11, so far have to say impressed with 8.16 for playback not using capture functionality.